cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HWH Control Panel Replacement

pweekly
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all. I have a 2005 hardly used Mandalay 40E. Indoor stored and used about twice a year. Being as old as it is, things need to be replaced. My latest “issue” is the hydraulic control panel (I think). When I have the RV engine on, the hydraulic pump runs even though the panel says “travel mode”. If I select off on the panel, it shuts the pump off. But as soon as I take my finger off of the “off” button, the pump goes on again and will run for a few seconds after I shut the rig down. I unplugged it to see if that would do the trick and it did not as well as when I plugged it in, it won’t even level now. Says “excess slope” and it is in my barn on a really level concrete floor. I am thinking the panel is going bad. Anyone have this issue? If it is this, it is an easy plug and play fix. But before I spend 120 + for a new panel, I want to make sure this is the issue. Thanks so much.

Tricia and Tom

:B

2005 Mandalay 40E 400HP cummins/Freightliner in Sapphire blue.
15 REPLIES 15

mchero
Explorer
Explorer
Keep us posted.
Robert McHenry
Currently, Henniker NH
07 Fleetwood Discovery 39V
1K Solar dieselrvowners.com
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Prior:1993 Pace Arrow 37' Diesel

pweekly
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all for your help. It gives me lots to look at.

Tricia and Tom

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
If Doug says it, you can take it to the bank. He's knows this stuff like the back of his hand. Listen to him and take his advice and you'll be much better off.
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
MDKMDK wrote:
dougrainer wrote:
MDKMDK wrote:
pweekly wrote:
MDKMDK wrote:
Is there a "calibration" section in the owner's/operator's manual? Maybe it needs to run through some sort of "set up" procedure, that might be mentioned in the manual or online somewhere?
. Maybe? Doug above posted the user manual and I”m going to let my 17year old read through it. He’s way more tech-able than me. (Husband is disabled and never was really into fix it stuff). Thanks for the idea.

Since it's an older make/model, I was thinking maybe there's some "volatile memory" in the control panel that gets flushed if it stays dormant for a long time, of if power is otherwise removed for an extended period. Just a guess.

There is nothing that uses volatile memory. There is NO calibration also. The only calibration is to set the level sensor, but that part will have no affect on operation of the rest of the system. There is no set up procedure also. Doug

You were wrong with your first contribution, according to the OP.
Maybe you'll go two for two?

Maybe people in Canada do not understand English and the written word. NOTHING I stated in my first contribution was WRONG in what I stated. FYI, I am Factory trained HWH and have worked and still work on HWH systems for the past 30 years. What things were wrong? Doug

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
MDKMDK wrote:
pweekly wrote:
MDKMDK wrote:
Is there a "calibration" section in the owner's/operator's manual? Maybe it needs to run through some sort of "set up" procedure, that might be mentioned in the manual or online somewhere?
. Maybe? Doug above posted the user manual and I”m going to let my 17year old read through it. He’s way more tech-able than me. (Husband is disabled and never was really into fix it stuff). Thanks for the idea.

Since it's an older make/model, I was thinking maybe there's some "volatile memory" in the control panel that gets flushed if it stays dormant for a long time, of if power is otherwise removed for an extended period. Just a guess.

There is nothing that uses volatile memory. There is NO calibration also. The only calibration is to set the level sensor, but that part will have no affect on operation of the rest of the system. There is no set up procedure also. Doug

You were wrong with your first contribution, according to the OP.
Maybe you'll go two for two?
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
MDKMDK wrote:
pweekly wrote:
MDKMDK wrote:

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
pweekly wrote:
MDKMDK wrote:

Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.

pweekly
Explorer
Explorer
MDKMDK wrote:

Tricia and Tom

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer

pweekly
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you

Tricia and Tom

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
The panel!
And the connectors at the panel.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

pweekly
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Doug. No. The jacks don’t even move. When I plugged the touchpad back in, the excess slope light lit. They didn’t even attempt to level and it’s on the flattest piece of smooth concrete where it “lives” and has been leveled there for years. It’s like the touch pad has gone wonky. I reached out to HWH and hopefully can talk to someone there tomorrow. My problem is that I am not technically inclined so I hope I can explain myself well enough.

Tricia and Tom

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
I would suspect the Touchpad also. BUT, Excess slope means that 0ne of the Jacks has reached FULL extension and cannot extend more to level. When you have Excess Slope are the jacks extended and if so, does one jack seem to be more extended than the others? Since you have excess slope you have the computerized HWH Auto system. The Control pad goes to the Main control board in a plexiglass housing. This is your Service manual. Doug

https://www.hwhcorp.com/ml41240.pdf

pweekly
Explorer
Explorer
Dumb question but are you talking about spraying the contacts on the panel or the Hydraulic pump? That is in an enclosed bay so doesn’t “look” like it has any corrosion?

Tricia and Tom