cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hydraulic Cylinders

Kountryguy
Explorer
Explorer
What is the best way to clean and maintain the cylinders on my levelers?
14 REPLIES 14

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
azdryheat wrote:
I spray mine with a silicon lube.

Per the Lippert manual
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Good cylinders are hard chromed and hard chrome is porous. So oil is contained in the plating itself.

Something that could help would be a bellows that would fit the cylinder, like seen on some some struts.

The cylinders on caterpillar equipment are exotic: Double wipers, multi seals including nylon and teflon

With a price to match ๐Ÿ˜ž

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
Never heard of a hydraulic cyl that had to be cleaned or lubed.
Mine get cleaned and lubed every time they go out and back in.
Been workin for 17 yrs.
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Here is the level it manual. See page 9 for maintenance.
Level it Manual

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Clean and wipe down with silicone spray, right from Lippert.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
I spray mine with a silicon lube.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

Kountryguy
Explorer
Explorer
I think they are level up by lippert. They are on a 2013 Mobile Suites fifth wheel.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
What brand of jacks do you have?

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

Kountryguy
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Pigman1. Very helpful. I do not have HWH jacks, but much of the info still applies.

pigman1
Explorer
Explorer
Are you talking about HWH jacks? HWH has some very specific directions on these hydraulic rams. There is other info presented in HWH instructions. Download it and read.

(
ISSUE DATE:
HWH CORPORATION
R
Cleaning the jack and jack rod.
In general, HWH jacks require no regular maintenance. Under normal circumstances, lubrication of jack rods is not necessary or advised.
If a jack gets coated with dirt or mud it is advisable to clean
the jack. It is acceptable to clean the jack as a part of normal maintenance but is not required.
of jack rods is not necessary or advised.
Note: The 9000# and 16,000# kick down jacks have a roller bearing above the actuator rod.
This bearing must roll freely for proper operation of the jack. It is a good idea during regular maintenance
that this bearing is checked to make sure it does roll freely. If the bearing is frozen or does not roll freely,
use WD-40 to loosen the bearing and then apply a few drops of motor oil (used is fine) to lubricate the
bearing. See diagrams on reverse side.
BLOCK FRAME AND TIRES SECURELY BEFORE CRAWLING UNDER
VEHICLE. DO NOT USE LEVELING JACKS OR AIR SUSPENSION TO SUPPORT VEHICLE
WHILE UNDER VEHICLE OR CHANGING TIRES. VEHICLE MAY DROP AND/OR MOVE

Basic cleaning of the complete jack assembly is accomplished with the use of soap and water.
Spaying the jacks with a spray wand at a car wash would be acceptable.
The only time a jack rod would need cleaning is if the jack has been extended for a period of time.
The jack should not be extended just to clean the rod.
WARNING:
If the jack is extended, use soap and water or WD-40 on the jack rod then wipe the rod dry with a clean cloth.
Do not use a dirty rag to wipe the jack rod or do not wipe the jack rod if it is coated with dirt.
This could scratch and damage the rod. Make sure to use water or WD-40 to loosen any dirt before
wiping the jack rod.
If the jack rod has been greased or silicone sprays have been used on the jack rod, use WD-40 to loosen
the grease or silicone and wipe the rod clean.
Pigman & Piglady
2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43' QGP
2011 Chevy Silverado 1500
SMI Air Force One toad brake
Street Atlas USA Plus

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Depending on the jack (READ THE FINE MANUAL) Silicon lub or Tranny Fluid (Same as INSIDE the jack) would be my suggestion.

Power gear does not mention it in the owner's manual but on SOME jacks they have a ZERK.. a couple strokes of White LIthium is suggested by folks I respect.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Kountryguy
Explorer
Explorer
What is the best oil to use?

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Keep assemblies clean. Then as noted in previous post oil lightly.
If you have kick down jackes, make sure that assembly is clean. Mine has a roller bearing that must stay free. I clean it off with brake clean and then lubricate with chain lube or step lubricant.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Extent them as far as possible. Wipe the rod clean with a rag,pay special attention to the top of tye cylinder to remove dirt. spray lightly with oil, retract.