cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ins and outs of mice :)

nykolas
Explorer
Explorer
so I'm curious to know of some effective strategies for keeping mice out of 5th wheel during a Canadian winter.

I've seen posts and recommendations for pretty much everything ๐Ÿ™‚

Does anyone have magic secret? ๐Ÿ™‚
8 REPLIES 8

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
nykolas wrote:
so I'm curious to know of some effective strategies for keeping mice out of 5th wheel during a Canadian winter.

I've seen posts and recommendations for pretty much everything ๐Ÿ™‚

Does anyone have magic secret? ๐Ÿ™‚

PLUG ALL THE HOLES THAT GO THROUGH THE FLOOR TO THE EXTERIOR!

100% "effective".

100% ONE AND DONE

That IS the "solution".

Not a secret, just everyone is too lazy to fix or do not believe it is that simple, which is why there are so many hair-brained witches brew home remedies and commercial "as seen on TV" products huckstered which need to be applied every yr.

Many of the "remedies" you see posted are often based on the fact that they have been using "product X" for so many yrs and never seen any presence of a mouse.. No real hard data that proves OR disproves that "product X" works or not..

I HAVE pressed members of this forum to present some evidence that they DID have mice BEFORE they used "product X" and no longer have mice AFTER the use of "product X".. All I got was criticism and hassle from other members and total silence from the ones I directed this question to..

Find AND Fix the holes, that IS what fixed my mice issues.

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
Put a smoke generator inside (like bands use on stage) and pressurize the RV by reversing the Fantastic Fan or something like it. Look all around and under your RV for places where the smoke comes out and pack those holes with steelwool or screenwire balled up to prevent the mice from entering. Check the firewall area and any compartment that is open to the inside. Holes under the sinks are probably secondary and you'll need to seal the primary opening to the exterior.
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

cougar28
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™ve always had a couple outdoor cats that have and are good mousers. Never had a problem with mice in the rv in 30+ years.
2002 F-250 SD CC 7.3PSD Auto. XLT Short Bed 4X4 Off-Rd.Pkg.Highland Green,Westin Sportsman Grille Guard (Black) RBW Li'l Rocker Slider ,Prodigy Control Towing Jayco Eagle HT 30.5 MLOK,Handy 5er tailgate

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I remove all foods even in jars then wash things down scrup the floor ,then set cups with a few drops of peppermint oil in about six places ,couple drops on the top of each tire and also set couple bags of fresh cab around the inside of the rv, no mice .do this in my boat too. no mice. both sit in a pole bldg.next to the corn field.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
We remove every spec of anything that cold be considered food. Condiments, spices, drugs - anything.
I have a bait station outside the RV so they have easily accessible food.
And the rest seems to be pure luck.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
I've had good luck setting a couple peanut-butter-bait mousetraps, one in the basement and one inside. For your reading pleasure on this often-asked question:

Keep mice away 2007
Prevent mice 2011
Kill/prevent mice 2011
Mice 2013
Mice, Apr 2014
Mice, August 2014
peppermint oil - mice 2015
Mice - get rid of 2015
Mice - mothballs etc 2016
mice- July 2016
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
Remove all food and food residue. Do a search for "mouse bait stations". Read the results looking for something specifically designed for outdoors. Place one or two of these under the trailer and keep them stocked/baited for the winter.
The idea is to attract them to the bait before they locate and decide to take up residence in the dry structure above. Do not put bait inside the trailer. Bait by definition draws animals to it. You do not want to draw them inside.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Cat. Works well.