Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Installing an oven into a former rental rv

jedavisss8
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All,
I am considering a former rental RV. I have found that the El Monte RV models are out of my price range. The Cruise America models will work. However, none of them have an oven. I am guessing the space for the microwave is too small to install a convection oven.

So, here's the question: have any of you installed a regular oven in the space below the cooktop. No oven is nearly a deal breaker for me.

Thanks for your responses.
17 REPLIES 17

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
jedavisss8 wrote:
Hi All,
I am considering a former rental RV. I have found that the El Monte RV models are out of my price range. The Cruise America models will work. However, none of them have an oven. I am guessing the space for the microwave is too small to install a convection oven.

So, here's the question: have any of you installed a regular oven in the space below the cooktop. No oven is nearly a deal breaker for me.

Thanks for your responses.

Million dollar question: What do you consider to be a "regular oven."

Generally, the Magic Chef style cook top/oven combos are propane powered. Does the RV you are considering have a propane tank, or, is it all electric? (Cruise America saves money that way) If it's all electric, most likely, it doesn't have a range top vent, and plumbing for propane where you'll need it. Range top/oven vents are required if you cook with propane. (carbon monoxide/dioxide source) With an electric oven, you may need to upgrade your electrical system. Either way, based on what you want to do, you should be clear on what's required before you buy.

Chum lee

LouLawrence
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
wapiticountry wrote:
Cruise America rigs all have 120 volt 30 Amp electrical service. Electric ovens are generally 240 volt, so you would either have to completely upgrade the RVs electrical service or find a propane wall oven that would fit. Even that would require upgrading the propane plumbing. Bottom line is adding a true oven is going to be expensive and likely difficult.

Who said electric? 240V oven would be useless as teats on a boar in a RV

Not really, the induction cook top and the dryer in my RV are both 240V.

Gooma
Explorer
Explorer
Measure the cabinet beneath the cooktop. Then go to an rv dealer and find a combo unit that will fit. You will need to modify the propane line.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
wapiticountry wrote:
Cruise America rigs all have 120 volt 30 Amp electrical service. Electric ovens are generally 240 volt, so you would either have to completely upgrade the RVs electrical service or find a propane wall oven that would fit. Even that would require upgrading the propane plumbing. Bottom line is adding a true oven is going to be expensive and likely difficult.

Who said electric? 240V oven would be useless as teats on a boar in a RV
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
LouLawrence wrote:
We cook inside almost exclusively. Still, I would never own an RV with an over, it's just not necessary in most cases. Our convection/microwave does all the cooking we need. However, it is only the 2 of us. If more come along on your travels, an oven might make sense.

Why are you and others going on about where YOU cook and whether YOU want an oven?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
The first thing to do is look at the cabinetry - Will an range top with oven fit?

I upgraded to a smaller (shorter) oven. It's not that difficult.

Here's my HOW-TO video of the project
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Panasonic combination microwave/convection unit that works great. I can roast up to a 13 pound turkey in it. I need to be plugged into shore power or run the generator to use it.
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN

wapiticountry
Explorer
Explorer

MrWizard
Every MH i have owned the Microwave was a full size home unit, not a trucker / RV special size unit, that said I would take a tape measure and get the dimensions of the space available, i think the odds Favor swapping out the factory MW with a MW/convection unit
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I usually used a countertop Electric Rotisserie/Oven/Broiler/Toaster
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

LouLawrence
Explorer
Explorer
We cook inside almost exclusively. Still, I would never own an RV with an over, it's just not necessary in most cases. Our convection/microwave does all the cooking we need. However, it is only the 2 of us. If more come along on your travels, an oven might make sense.

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think most of us cook outside. Even in the rain, I cook under the awning.

To me, an oven would not be a deal breaker. Several options already shared. We've used the oven once in nearly five years. Twice actually if you count testing in PDI.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

LouLawrence
Explorer
Explorer
Unless the microwave wave is a special RV unit (smaller than usual) a convection/microwave should fit right in.

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
Might want to consider a countertop convection/air fryer/over combo. Then you can take it outside when weather is appropriate to avoid heat and odors in the
RV. FWIW, I pretty much never cook inside. I have a grill, griddle, air fryer, slow cooker and other gadgets in one of my bays that I can setup outside.
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard