cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Inverter / Converter won't switch over when on Gen

BFRD22
Explorer
Explorer
So I've been having issues with my xantrex inverter / converter on working with my generator. No pass thru nothing, no charging. Nothing. Works fine on house and pole power. Just won't on the Gen set. I've tried 2 different Gen sets. With the same result. I have to use a seperate battery charger to charge the trailer batteries. Very annoying. Can't use inside 110 off the Gen Set either as it won't auto switch to shore line.
Looking for some ideas.
2015 Ram 2500
2005 TERRY 2952BS LIMITED EDITION
11 REPLIES 11

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
Per my previous example, pass-thru inverters can sometimes be fussy.

3 tons

BFRD22
Explorer
Explorer
I was using a Kipor 3300 watt inverter genset, which the Xantrex wouldnt work with. Switched to a Champion 3000 inverter with the 30 amp RV plug, still the Xantrex would not accept it. Also tried a Honda 2000 inverter same thing.

The Champion 3000 inverter is the one I'm using now.
2015 Ram 2500

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
What kind of generator are you using? An inverter style generator should have a clean enough sine wave that the Xantrex should pass the power through without having to "apply a small load" to "clean up" the sine wave.

If you are using a loud, open frame contractor style generator, I can totally see this problem happening, and would consider it pretty normal.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Some years ago an origination I belong to that has a very good electronics lab (The American Radio Relay League) tested a bunch of portable generators.
Now the Inverter model they tested.. Nice and clean 60 HZ sine wave

Some of the "Contractors" were downright scarry... They 'scoped them (Oscilloscope) and where the Inverter jobs showed a nice clean wave

Some of the contractors the line was fuzzy as a caterpillar and some had spikes well over 200 or 300 volts Ok for a saw or a light bulb.. but not good for electronics.. Xantrex looks at the wave form per the manual.

Loading it .. it appears. cleaned it up a bit

Page 2
One generator I had an APC UPS said "NO THANK YOU" when it was new
But after I'd used it a while and the APC was happy.

WHAT changed.
There are some electronic components that need occasional exercise else they tend to go to sleep and not work.. Well One tank of Gas with a resistive load (300 watt light on a 1000 watt genny) and they "Woke up"..

NOTE: some folks who know what I am speaking of (Capacitors) will cringe at "Asleep" and "Woke" but to them I apologize.. "Not work properly" and "Work properly" might work better but ... Well.

I sometimes play with vintage electronics.. There is a procedure for powering them up... SLOWLY. and that.. is precisely why. Hitting a cap that's been sitting idle for like 5 years may well upset it and make it go POP and that's not a good thing. So we start at like 20 volts and turn it up a bit every hour or two. I have tools to do that.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
BFRD22 wrote:
Update
1st thanks for the replies. I found that if I put a load on the generator first (Im using at 10amp battery charger, was going to try a trouble light next time out) then plug in the RV shore line every thing works as it should. Guess the extra load is just to clean up the signal to the Xantrex.

Thanks Again

Thanks for the important followup as in a similar fashion, it was ONLY the โ€˜pass-thruโ€™ inverter that had prevented the ability of my Honda 2200 from operating the Coleman air cond while in the Eco-modeโ€ฆ.My solution was to simply add a new โ€˜cordedโ€™ ATS switch between the Coleman and the inverter, with the Honda as the Dominate power sourceโ€ฆ

3 tons

BFRD22
Explorer
Explorer
Update
1st thanks for the replies. I found that if I put a load on the generator first (Im using at 10amp battery charger, was going to try a trouble light next time out) then plug in the RV shore line every thing works as it should. Guess the extra load is just to clean up the signal to the Xantrex.

Thanks Again
2015 Ram 2500

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ok Four suspects
IF NOTHING works, (Try the roof air on fan only) then one of them goes poof, so I'll put it last

Circuit breaker on generator: On mine the breaker had TWO positions. on and tripped/off not On Tripped Off like most house (Square D) Breakers.
if it was On or OFF the word showed on one side or the other of the lever but was very hard to see without a small flashlight.

Auto-Transfer Switch? Do you even have one (if you you have an outlet that matches the shore plug. try plugging into it for generator use. OH turn off MAIN breaker before you plug in and start generator once Genny is ready (about 30 to 60 seconds) turn breaker back on, when switching to/from generator from shore keep breaker of for THREE minutes minimum)

That's both of the first suspects. If you can't afford a auto-transfer switch the "Poor Man's" Transfer (The outlet attached to the generator) is less expensive.

The last and most unlikely suspect is the generator output
The inverter/charger will look at the power from the genny.
Some contractor Generators will "Scare" the inverter (heck they scare me) and it will refuse to pass the mess they call 120vac
Or it might be less. or more. than 120 enough the inverter says "NO THANK YOU"
Or the frequency could be low or high. Some of the inverter/chargers are fairly sophisticated when it comes to that thing.

But the air conditioner.. (Why I said try it in fan mode) Will NOT be connected to the inverter.. It will be connected to the main RV panel so any issues with the inverter will not affect it.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
BFRD22 wrote:
So I've been having issues with my xantrex inverter / converter on working with my generator. No pass thru nothing, no charging. Nothing. Works fine on house and pole power. Just won't on the Gen set. I've tried 2 different Gen sets. With the same result. I have to use a seperate battery charger to charge the trailer batteries. Very annoying. Can't use inside 110 off the Gen Set either as it won't auto switch to shore line.
Looking for some ideas.

Ok, lets assume that you have no inverter....You still need a stand-alone ATS switch to separate the two power sources, i.e. shore power and genny power...

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
You have a 17 year old Trailer? If so, I doubt you have a ATS transfer switch unless the trailer came with a OEM Genset.
SO, are you plugging the shore cord into the Genset? Or do you have a ATS system? Answers to these 2 questions will help us help you. Doug

PS, On Genset does the Roof AC come on? The roof AC is NOT in the Inverter circuit. Also need model number of Xantrex. The most COMMON 1800 is NOT a charger but just a Inverter AND does NOT have a internal transfer relay. So exact Model will help.

BFRD22
Explorer
Explorer
I thought that but the ATS switches with no hesitation on Line power and is internal to the Xantrex 1800. Just won't switch with the Genset. I thought the power from the Gen might be out of spec. Inverter style. Thus my attempt with a 2รฑd inverter Gen. No difference. Is there something I can throw inline maybe to clean the signal up?
2015 Ram 2500

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
Based on your description Iโ€™d suspect the ATS that passes thru shore power OR genny power - this is the ATS thatโ€™s before the Xantrex inverter-charger...It sounds like power may not be getting to the Xantrex due to a faulty genny ATS..

3 tons