cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

It's time for a new house battery

BuckBarker
Explorer
Explorer
Well, our house battery finally gave up its charge after 7 years. It's time for a new one but before I install it I have a couple questions.

1. We don't use the rig very often so would I be better installing a new one now or just leave it on the bench and install it when needed? I have a battery tender so if I should leave it on the bench should I leave it charging all the time or just before its needed.

2. I also have a small solar panel on the roof to help maintain the battery and not much else. If I don't install the battery what becomes of the current that the panel generates? Does it hurt anything to have a solar panel and no battery installed?

Thanks in advance for any guidance with this issue.
9 REPLIES 9

BuckBarker
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks BFL! This is what I needed to know. Yes, I leave my tender connected to the chassis battery and that one lasted 6 years before replacing so I believe it was doing its job in maintaining a healthy charge.

I doubt my little solar panel has any controller at all and it is only supplying power to the house bat.

I will install a new house battery and keep doing what I always was in keeping the rig plugged in a home. I rarely if ever hear my converter run when plugged in so I suspect the solar is keeping the bat healthy.

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
If the solar panel has a solar charge controller, then the solar panel should be disconnected from the controller *before* the battery is disconnected from the controller. On reconnecting, install the battery and connect the controller first *then* connect the panel to the controller.

The panel may be so small it does not have a controller anyway.

Perhaps that solar panel is meant to maintain the engine battery, which usually is not getting charged when the house battery is from the converter when you are on shore power.

You could use your battery tender on shore power to maintain the engine battery and leave the house battery on converter on shore power while at home, and leave the solar to do whatever it does.

If you leave the old battery in till Spring, keep an eye on things in case the battery has a fault develop that makes the converter run hard and develop problems of its own (not likely but can happen)
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

No need to have a battery until the next planned use of the RV.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

ken_white
Explorer
Explorer
Buy a new battery in the spring when you plan to use the camper...
2014 RAM C&C 3500, 4x4, Club Cab, Hauler Bed, DRW, Aisin, 3.73's, etc...

2013 DRV Tradition 360 RSS
LED Lighting
570W of ET Solar Panels
MorningStar MPPT 45
Wagan 1000W Elite Pro Inverter
Duracell EGC2 Batteries with 460 A-H Capacity

BuckBarker
Explorer
Explorer
OP here. Plz let me explain further. My rig is parked at home so I can keep it plugged in. I have no knowledge of what type of charge controller it has. It is an ex Cruise America rental. I am not wanting to increase my solar capacity because what I now have + keeping it plugged in when wanted has kept this battery in working condition for 7 years, which is probably far longer than most.
Back to the original question: Should I install a new battery even though I won't be using the rig for awhile or leave it on the bench till I need it AND if so, do I leave my battery minder on it or just let it sit

sail2liv
Explorer
Explorer
If battery lasted 7 years, just replace with same one....good luck why change?

KendallP
Explorer
Explorer
1. Either way

2. Batteries love a float charge. Mine are still at baseline specific gravity after 4 years.

Depending on temperature, 14V or so is about the max you want to float them. So if your solar unit brings the battery up much above that, it might not be so great. That said... at night it will do nothing.

Battery tenders are great, but if you have a decent converter, you can simply leave the rig plugged in and let the converter do the floating work.

Check the electrolyte levels every month or so.
Cheers,
Kendall

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

I'd increase my solar "farm" and let the charge controller "be nice" to the new battery. If the year is "done" then I'd wait until spring to replace the battery.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
There are some items that will draw power. LP detector for one.
Where do you store your rig? Is power available?
I would normally leave battery in the rig and just shut off the battery disconnect.
The chassis battery will go dead as some devices draw from there.
If you decide on removing battery, I would take both batteries and keep both charged up.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker