cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

KWIKEE STEP MOTOR REPLACEMENT SERIES 32

Ozarkwoods
Explorer
Explorer
NOTE THIS THREAD IS VERY OLD I HAVE SINCE DROPPED THE PHOTOS FROM MY HOSTING SITE.

I had problems with my Kwikee step Series 32. The steps on occasion would not retract. I had to tap the motor with a hammer while closing the door to get them to work even in doing this it was may or not work on the next try. I had lubricated the steps and linkage, and checked the door switch, controller, and battery voltage using the Technical tips on the Kwikee Step internet site. Also I took the motor off the gear box and checked for any worn, or broken parts in the gear box. All checked out fine. This left the step motor as being the part that needed replacement.

I had seen a post from member bsinmich in the forum and contacted him for more information. He said that he used a front door window lift motor that was suppose to fit a 1990 Lincoln.

I called a large RV parts dealer in Texas, and told him that I needed a motor for a 32 series Kwikee step. He said that I could not get just a motor that I would have to buy the complete kit that included the controller, gear box and motor as a matched kit. The cost was $209 for the kit. I told him that I had heard that the motor was a window lift motor. He said that he had not heard that and that he doubted that information.

I did research and found that by looking on the NAPA internet site they had photos of the lift motors. I found that a 1986-1995 Ford Taurus left front window lift motor matched my motor. NAPA part # BK655-1395 $63.99 I ordered my motor from Auto-Zone Manufactured by Dorman part# 742-206. This has a lifetime Warranty and was $49.99.

05-29-08
***NOTE: Gferris has brought to my attention that the photo of the new motor I have does not match the photo of the Dorman 742-206 on their site it matches the motor 742-205. Just wanted to tell you that.
With that said I ordered a drivers door window lift motor from Auto Zone for a 1986-1995 Taurus. I got the a box that was from Dorman part number 742-206 on the box. The motor that was in the box was the one I photographed and installed. If they have changed motor designs or if the wrong motor was in the box I got I have no further explanation. Just wanted to give you a heads up.

With the parts cleaned, I put the conversion gear on the new motor, this is a very tight fit and is machined to fit with no play. Care is needed when it is tapped back on the new motor gear so you donโ€™t misalign the pin and the gear.

Next place the motor locating pin in the top of the conversion gear. This pin goes into the hole on the top of the gear box.

With the step linkage taken out of the gear box, I marked one side of the square in the linkage hole in the center, cleaned out the old grease, checked for any damaged teeth and put new grease in the box next I re-indexed the main gear turning it 180 degrees using the marked square in the center of the gear as a guide.

Next I put the linkage back into place and put the linkage bushing back into the cover plate.

Reinstalling the motor using care that the gearing and the pin is in place and the motor gear housing is seated against the gear box. The plate goes on next and the three bolts. With the motor tightened down the next thing I did was to attach the red wire and the yellow wire to their respective colors placing heat shrink tubing on the wires and then soldering the ends together.

All in all, the task took 1 hour. Care should be taken when the linkage is pulled because the steps will be free to move. Also you should compare the your motor with photos on NAPA, incase Kwikee Step used different motor and gear combinations.
Full timing since June 2013
Randy and Annie
Keystone Montana 3813
2019 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 DRW 4x4
160 REPLIES 160

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
Outstanding job (and with part numbers, to boot). All of the Kwikee motors are physically the same (at least since the mid-latter 90's), though they do have 2 versions, a standard and a high torque (for some double and triple steps).
The replacement looks identical enough that it should work fine, but if the current draw is different enough from stock it could cause a controller problem.
Not likely, but possible.
-- Chris Bryant

CROSSBOLT
Explorer
Explorer
Really GREAT post! You gonna write "How to " books? You'd be great at it!

Karl
Karl

olygene
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for a great post -- the pictures and procedures were awesome. My Kwikee step motor is giving me some trouble and I would like to replace it, but how did you find that a Taurus window motor was the right replacement? Do I have to remove the current motor and take it to Napa and just eyeball every window motor they have to see which comes closest? Is there a parts # on the Kwikee motor that provides a clue? Anyway, thanks for a very informative and helpful post.

Glenn_Cooper
Explorer
Explorer
I am thinking the next time my neighbor goes to PICK and PAY or is
it pick and save. (auto RECYCLE parts)
I will pick up a spare window MOTOR regulator, CHEEP!!!Coop

longhauler
Explorer
Explorer
Most likely this is a common commutator style DC motor and the brushes are worn down quite a bit or there is a bad spot on the armature. When Randy taps the motor with a hammer, it is making the brushes in the motor shift and come into contact with the armature or it is causing the armature to shift slightly moving one or more of the brushes off the bad spot. In a lot of cases, motors like these are not setup to be repaired in the field since the cases are sealed o keep out the weather and one has to open them like a can to get to the internals. So a field overhaul is just not possible. One can only swap out the motor as a complete unit like Randy had to. Killer deal on finding the cross over part. I have had to do the same thing with my vette a couple times.

I am sure I will face this same project one day soon as well. I pick up my 95 Destiny M400SI next friday. Drop me a PM about the manual you have. I think I am going to definately need it. Nice write up on the repair, photos, and documentation Randy!
Paul & Julie
1995 Coachmen M400Si Destiny DP
300 Cummins CTA 8.3
6 spd Allison
Spartan Raised Rail Chassis
Featherlite Trailer / 98 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.9
Harlequin Great Dane "Zoe"
Weimaraner "Zander"

Ozarkwoods
Explorer
Explorer
I have not taken the old motor apart, so it is hard to say, but if I tapped the motor with a hammer as I closed the door it would work every time, but then it was hit or miss if it would work again without tapping it.
Randy and Annie
Keystone Montana 3813

othertonka
Explorer
Explorer
Nice job and a good report. I read this sometime back on the forum and I think I cataloged it away, but I will also save this post also. Thanks again. It looks like the gear in your original motor took a dump, is that right? Or was it just a worn out motor? Thanks again for the post.
Othertonka
2004 Southwind 32VS 8.1 Workhorse chassis
2002 CRV Toad
U. S. Gear Unified brake system
Retired Fire Captain, SFD

MrWizard
good pics , great write up.

great job.. !!
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Fulltimers
Explorer
Explorer
Nice, Thanks
Fulltimers
Fulltimers Weblog

2003 Rexhall Aerbus 3550BSL
W-22 Workhorse
2005 Saturn Vue (Mr. Toad)
3.5L V6 Automatic

Ozarkwoods
Explorer
Explorer
Got them on this time hope this helps.
Randy and Annie
Keystone Montana 3813

Explorer
Explorer
sorry randy no pics
The manatees of Halls river Homosassa Springs Fl

1985 Chevy Silverado c10. 454 stroker / 495 CI = 675 HP. 650lb of torque. Turb0 400 tranny. 3000 stall converter. Aluminum heads. 3 inch exhaust flowmasters. 2 inch headers. Heat and air. Tubed.