cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Loose tow bar in receiver

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
I emailed Roadmaster and got no response.
The Sterling Tow bar where it plugs into the receiver on the Motorhome has an 1/8" to 1/4" clearance top and bottom. It rotates up and down on the pin. 4500 lbs of towd slams it up or down on stopping or starting or braking....and that is not a good thing.
Campign World installed the tow bar years ago.
I have tried to put small rubber washers on top and bottom but of course they didn't stay.
I don't think this was intentionally designed to do this.
Any ideas on how to fix this before it destroys the receiver?
17 REPLIES 17

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
1 or 2 $0.30 flat washers and a cable tie to keep them in place.
Simple and cheap and it works. :B
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

The_ugly_duckli
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
Blue ox makes/made a product one of them is called an "Anti rattle clip" the other Hitch Immobilizer (Same product they changed the name) it's a clamp that locks that hitch solid. Have used one for 14 years now.

The Blue Ox clip is what I use. Easy to install and and eliminates all hitch slop. Well worth it!

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Look at different draw bars.
Some have rounded corners and some have square corners. The rounded corner ones have more slop then the square cornered ones.
Some receivers develope cracks in the corners. Some do not have reinforcing bands around the draw bar face.
The better anti-rattle units strength the receiver.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
hornet28 wrote:
Another way if you or a friend have a welder is to run some beads along the top or bottom and grind to the fit you want. I've done this more than once for a nice close fit

X2

I have done this before and it is quick, easy and permanent. I have noticed that some of my newer trailer hitches don't fit as tightly as my older ones. It sure seems to me that the manufacturers are focused on making it easy to put together.

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
Another "zombie" thread with no resolution from the OP. *sigh*
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.

hornet28
Explorer
Explorer
Another way if you or a friend have a welder is to run some beads along the top or bottom and grind to the fit you want. I've done this more than once for a nice close fit

LittleBill
Explorer
Explorer
I use this

i use one of these only downside is you need a wrench to tighten it up

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
Got a reply from Roadmaster. They no longer make the Sterling Tow bar. I don''t hik he understood the clearance problem. Anyway he said if parts are worn to order parts and than I might have problems getting them. Buy a new tow bar and it may or may not fit better.(my words not theirs)

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
freetime58 wrote:
down home wrote:
The Sterling Tow bar where it plugs into the receiver on the Motorhome has an 1/8" to 1/4" clearance top and bottom. It rotates up and down on the pin. 4500 lbs of towd slams it up or down on stopping or starting or braking....and that is not a good thing.
I have tried to put small rubber washers on top and bottom but of course they didn't stay.

Does it fit more tightly on the sides? If not, and you have a 1/4" play top and bottom and the sides. You don't mention what type or year of motorhome, if you have had it for a while or it's new to you........I suspect you may have a 2" insert in a 2 1/2" receiver???? It's highly unusual that a 2" draw bar have that much play in a 2" receiver. There is some movement in all set ups but I have never seen 1/8 to 1/4 inch play.

Clearance side to side is minimal to none.Excessive Clearance is top to bottom. It's an 05 Revolution.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
You need a good anti rattle device so you don't get so much play in the receiver,thus magnifying the movement and doing more damage to the receiver.

I have tried almost every Anti Rattle device on the market, most have been no good or so complicated and cumbersome that they are useless. Including the Roadmaster type,totally useless,as is all that have been mentioned here.

Until I found the one at Hitch Rider.

Their Hitch Vice is the best and easiest one I have come across and it really works.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
You can find these or similar devices on eBay @ 2 for $20. They work great to take out all the movement in your towbar.
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

freetime58
Explorer
Explorer
down home wrote:

Does it fit more tightly on the sides? If not, and you have a 1/4" play top and bottom and the sides. You don't mention what type or year of motorhome, if you have had it for a while or it's new to you........I suspect you may have a 2" insert in a 2 1/2" receiver???? It's highly unusual that a 2" draw bar have that much play in a 2" receiver. There is some movement in all set ups but I have never seen 1/8 to 1/4 inch play.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
This is what I used to fix movement in hitch.
Roadmaster Quiet hitch

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
Go to Walmart and buy a small packet of flat washers, preferably as close in ouside diameter, to the inside diameter of the receiver tube sides you want to shim. Gently (or not?) tap them into the receiver with a screwdriver and hammer, or similar, until they fill the gaps and shim up the hitch/shank. Helps if you (or a helper) can wiggle the shank a bit while you're inserting the flat washers. Then use a couple of cable/zip ties placed close to the receiver opening around the shank to keep them from escaping.
Total cost, less than $5.