cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

marquis 5500 generator starting problems

jluke
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2000 holiday rambler with the Onan 5500 generator with about 400 hours. When I first try to start it, it will start, surge for a while then quit. sometime I can keep it running a little longer by manually controlling the throttle, but it will quit when I stop. after 6-8 times of this, I'll start it and it will run smoothly with no more problems. I noticed that unplugging the electric choke control does not change anything and I also noticed that when I brushed my finger against the plug wire I got a mild shock. should current bleed through like that? I just finished a 3200 mile trip and except for starting it the first day, had no problems with it. Any ideas?
3 REPLIES 3

jluke
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, I will try both of those hints. I do have a household refrigerator that goes on as soon as the generator kicks in, so I will try it with the breakers off until it smooths out.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Have you changed the fuel filter recently? Could be dirty.
Make sure you are not starting under a heavy load. Turn off genset breakers and see if it makes a difference.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

othertonka
Explorer
Explorer
Next time before trying to start, press and hold down the STOP/PRIME BUTTON until you hear the fuel pump click and then when the clicking slows down or stops, then push the START button. This will fill the carb bowl with gas and should start.
Othertonka
2004 Southwind 32VS 8.1 Workhorse chassis
2002 CRV Toad
U. S. Gear Unified brake system
Retired Fire Captain, SFD