cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Navion 24 trips GFCIs

Joy0Joy
Explorer
Explorer
Our 2012 Navion 24iQ keeps blowing shore-power GFCI circuits. We have tested every circuit in the RV separately and have been unable to locate the problem circuit. With all circuits turn off (except the ac, the AC circuit does not seem to trip the GFCI) the GFCI does not trip but as soon as any of the individual circuits are switched on, the GFI trips. We've even disconnected the neutral and ground on each circuit individually hoping to isolate the problem circuit with the same results. We've also disconnected the water heating element hoping that would resolve the problem and the GFCI still tripped. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
9 REPLIES 9

MrWizard
I remember another incident similar to this, turned out wires were crossed in one end of the shore cord
Also another where the adapter being used on the shore cord was the problem
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
Joy0Joy wrote:
Thank you for all the great suggestions. Unfortunately, I've tried pretty much all of them and still am unable to locate the problem. I do have it narrowed down to two circuits, one to the converter/charger and the other to the inverter and some receptacles. Also, we recently purchased the motorhome from a private party so I don't have any history on this problem. Anyways, I guess I'll keep looking but just wanted to say thanks for the input.

OK, here is one thought given the circuits that seem to be the problem. It's possible that the inverter and/or converter has the ground and neutral tied together. That is a big no no for GFCI breakers. they WILL trip with a ground neutral connection. same with the converter. GFCI are designed to trip under two conditions. (a) current imbalance between hot and neutral (b) ground neutral bond.

NEC code does not allow ground and neutral to be bonded anywhere downstream of the main breaker panel. But seems like a common mistake made by RV owners is to tie ground and neutral together somewhere in the trailer.

Another possibility is an outside outlet that has moisture present. Bingo, GFCI fault
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Many RV's do not play nice with shore power GFCI. there may be ways to get around it but I hesitate to type them out for liability reasons.

One thing is the Converter. Some of them will trip a GFCI if the battery is "Hungry" others if the battery is FULL and still others either never or all the time..

Beyond that this is not an issue I can find hands off. I'd need to work hands on and even then I'd not want to guarantee success.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Usually Army Corp CG's have GFCI controlled Shore breakers. Normal CG's do not have GFCI controlled pedestal's. Have you tried connecting to another 30 amp GFCI shore Power? Doug

bobsallyh
Explorer II
Explorer II
You may want to read this current posting on the Escapee's forum. Don't know if it will help but there is excellent info.

https://www.rvnetwork.com/topic/142227-shore-power-with-gfci-breaker30a-tripping/

Joy0Joy
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for all the great suggestions. Unfortunately, I've tried pretty much all of them and still am unable to locate the problem. I do have it narrowed down to two circuits, one to the converter/charger and the other to the inverter and some receptacles. Also, we recently purchased the motorhome from a private party so I don't have any history on this problem. Anyways, I guess I'll keep looking but just wanted to say thanks for the input.

Flute_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Connect an ohmmeter between ground and neutral on the incoming power at the main power distribution panel. It should be open. If not start disconnecting things until it does become open. Somewhere there is some continuity between the ground and the neutral. What transpired just prior to the GFCI tripping? What is there Some particular incident or has it always been this way?
Jerry Parr
05 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350
04 Honda CR-V
Ham Radio K7OU
Retired EE
Jrparr32@gmail.com
602-321-8141
Full-timer

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Replace the GFCI and see if that helps. Start with the CB panel knowing that the problem can be upstream. All circuit CBs off, disconnect all neutrals, leave all grounts connected. Does connecting any neutral cause the problem?

With all neutrals disconnected and utility power unplugged, inverter off ohm the neutral to ground which should be open. You might have something miswired conneting them together or an appliance that connects the neutral and ground.

Next step is to disconnect all neutrals and grounds and isolate which circuit is causing the problem. It can be multiple circuits such that the accumulated leak exceeds 5mA.

A light or something else that connects the hot to ground or neutral to ground can trip a GFCI.

What's upstream? ATS, EMC etc
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Y-Guy
I don't think this will resolve your issue, but it could. With power disconnected pull one of the breakers. See if they use the back stab jacks or if the wires are screwed in. If they used the stab jacks I'd go through each outlet and change it. I had some odd issues with mine my 1st year, I've never had those phantom issues after I changed every single plug. To me the the stab jacks should never be used, but in an RV where things bounce around they are even worse.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon