cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help with ac

Rockinfigs
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2020 eclipse attitude 5th wheel with two ACs. The front bedroom dometic ac is not ducted and all the switches are on the ac itself. I ran the ac for approximately 5 hrs and noticed the fan wasn't blowing as hard towards the 5th hr and sounded like it was having a hard time spinning. . I tried to put it on med or high speed but the fan speed would not change. The air was still somewhat blowing cold. So I turned it off and let it sit for about 30 minutes and observed more water dripping down the side on my rv. After letting it sit for a bit I turned it back on and the fan ran normal. I turned it on med and on high speed and they both worked. What would cause this
2019 Ford f350 cclb 6.7 diesel black sports package
2020 eclipse attitude 3218mm
2014 rzr 4 800
6 REPLIES 6

Rockinfigs
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
1. When a Roof AC has MANUAL controls, there is NO freeze sensor. It DOES have a Tstat, but it only senses the air return temp and NOT the evaporator
2. What you have experianced is NOT unusual. What you need to do is run on HI COOL and NOT Lo/Med-cool.
3. Some things may cause this that ARE fixable. You need to verify the stop gasket between the AIR RETURN and the COLD AIR discharge is tight and sealed and cannot bleed air thru which will also cause freeze up. AS others mentioned Dirty return filter, blocking off adequate warm air return.
4. Last as I mentioned before. This is normal depending on the outside temp and the humidity of the area you are in. Doug

Thks Doug. That makes sense.. Thks for the info.
2019 Ford f350 cclb 6.7 diesel black sports package
2020 eclipse attitude 3218mm
2014 rzr 4 800

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
1. When a Roof AC has MANUAL controls, there is NO freeze sensor. It DOES have a Tstat, but it only senses the air return temp and NOT the evaporator
2. What you have experianced is NOT unusual. What you need to do is run on HI COOL and NOT Lo/Med-cool.
3. Some things may cause this that ARE fixable. You need to verify the stop gasket between the AIR RETURN and the COLD AIR discharge is tight and sealed and cannot bleed air thru which will also cause freeze up. AS others mentioned Dirty return filter, blocking off adequate warm air return.
4. Last as I mentioned before. This is normal depending on the outside temp and the humidity of the area you are in. Doug

jjrbus
Explorer
Explorer
First thing I would do is clean or replace the filter and clean the coils. There are videos on you tube for cleaning roof air coils. If coils are clean or you clean them and still have an issue then low on refrigerant is high on the list of suspects.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Low voltage may be an issue.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

eHoefler
Explorer II
Explorer II
It was freezing up, need to see if the temp probe came loose from the evaporator.
2021 Ram Limited, 3500, Crew Cab, 1075FTPD of Torque!, Max Tow, Long bed, 4 x 4, Dually,
2006 40' Landmark Mt. Rushmore

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
My guess is Icing.. The evaporator ices up and air can not flow through. the "Down time" the ice melted.. Suggestion is to NOT run the fan on "AUTO" but on HIGH (For one thing auto is way more annoying sound wise)
Make sure intake filters are clean

Some A/C's (not all) have a frost sensor. this is a probe stuck in the fins of the evaporator coils.. Shuts off compressor if it senses icing.

NOTE NOT ALL HAVE THIS

I've heard of installs where the sensor was lying in the drip tray.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times