Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New Springs

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

I heard from the spring shop yesterday. I had one broken leaf. They have built new springs adding a leaf to each side and the ride height went up 2.5 inches. I feel I have dodged a bullet, as I am shortly leaving on a 2200 mile trip (one way).

The air bag brackets had torn from the frame (they were welded instead of being bolted), and the bags were incorrectly installed. There needs to be 7 inches of clearance--and there is only 5. So when ever I used the air bags they were attempting to carry the entire spring load. No wonder the brackets failed. I'm not replacing them at this time--as the shop can not find an appropriately sized air bag. Nor do I probably need them with the extra 2.5 inches.

I did decide to have the shocks replaced, even though the OEM ones were apparently still ok. The shop suggested Munroe as a brand. I feel comfortable with their recommendation.

I've asked them to look at some timbrens--and will take their advice as to whether to do this or not.

I'm expecting a dramatic improvement in the ride.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.
4 REPLIES 4

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

Picked up the RV today. I did not drive far, but the RV now floats along rather than pounding me to little pieces.

It ended up with an extra leaf on new springs, Monroe heavy duty shocks on the rear, and Timbrens on the rear of the unit.

There is about one inch of clearance between the Timbrens. They think that when I add water the springs may just kiss the Timbrens.

The showed me the dead air bags. What a mess! The brackets were actually bent as well as torn away from the frame.

Total bill was $2801.24 Cdn including tax.

There is an additional 2.5 inches of clearance.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
I just had my rear truck springs reworked at Dunbar Spring. They took out the thick bottom leaf and replaced it with spacers. They also re-arced my other springs and added one more leaf and move the remaining spacers around. I no longer have overload springs because I already had the airbags to use for overloads and the airbags have plenty of travel now. My truck went from the worst riding truck Iโ€™ve ever owned to the best riding. Well worth the $742! Craig
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Builders are notorious for specking undersprung trailers. Mine had a 6 leaf stack. Changing out to 7 leaf was inexpensive & gives peace of mind on the silky smooth roads we drive on.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Don, keep us updated on the final result
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch