cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Stereo/cs-dvd unit install

traildog
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I think we found the perfect TT for us and have pulled it 5k plus miles so far.

Now it’s time to upgrade some things.

The audio unit that came with it is junk. The speakers are wired left channel bedroom right channel living room….stupid.

I’m going to wire them for left and right channels in both rooms and install a switch so I can chose between all speakers or just 2.Furrin junk

My question is, have you replaced your stereo system and what did you buy? I’d really like it to fix the existing hole.
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express Ultra Lite 259FKDS.
2021 Ford F-150 3.5 ECO BOOST 4:30
15 REPLIES 15

traildog
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone try one of these? It seems to fill all my requirementsJenson stereo.

traildog
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
Go to Crutchfield.com
Re-wiring for right/left/front/Rear (many units have all the fader/switches you need in the unit itself) requires that all speakers have their leads brought to the unit's location. That will be the hard part.. Option is to use RF to transmit to one room. but I'd like to avoid that for assorted reasons.

Also when it comes to the power connectors. Crutchfield will have the adapters so it's all plug and play.

Yes, Crutchfield is where I’ve been looking. And fortunately, I have 6 speakers already wired and run to the furrion unit already so, that’s no problem. I also want to change out the junky speakers and I know Crutchfield will be able to help with that also.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Go to Crutchfield.com
Re-wiring for right/left/front/Rear (many units have all the fader/switches you need in the unit itself) requires that all speakers have their leads brought to the unit's location. That will be the hard part.. Option is to use RF to transmit to one room. but I'd like to avoid that for assorted reasons.

Also when it comes to the power connectors. Crutchfield will have the adapters so it's all plug and play.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
nickthehunter wrote:
traildog wrote:
nickthehunter wrote:
CD/DVD you’re kidding right?

Ok, take off the CD. I have a massive collection though. And yes, I still play them.
I have a large collection of CD,s also, some 30 years old, all loaded on my phone, backed up on the cloud. They never get scratched, dropped or accidentally sat one and I can go anywhere And they’re always with me, no big case needed to carry them in and no need for a player to play them.
Ring Ring Ring - hello - your great grandmpa’s calling, he wants those 8 track tapes you borrowed back.

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
Deleted

traildog
Explorer
Explorer
prichardson wrote:
First. It appears from your link that when you connect the speakers properly your unit can select between living room or bedroom but not both together. As to replacement fitting existing hole; if the unit you ultimately choose is smaller than the existing you can make a blank off plate.

Thanks for checking it out. I really need a unit that will play all the speakers when needed. I didn’t catch that.

traildog
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
Have you considered Bluetooth speakers? No wires, can move outdoors, great sound.

Good idea. I have a few already.

traildog
Explorer
Explorer
nickthehunter wrote:

Ok, take off the CD. I have a massive collection though. And yes, I still play them.

mike-uswest
Explorer
Explorer
I don't have an I-phone, I have a flip phone.

Mike
2019 Ram 2500 TCD, 4X4,
Arctic Fox 25Y 30'

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
mike-uswest wrote:
nickthehunter wrote:

Why would anyone throw away the older things that you like and have paid for just to get some new version that would cost a bundle of money for something that that is just a replacement and not better quality?

Mike

nickthehunter,

There is no real reason just to "throw away" perfectly good audio CDs and video DVDs. They still work and will continue to work as long as there is some means to play them back. Why should someone throw away their hard earned money just because the playback device is no longer "in vogue"?

Some of you guys must have deep pockets to throw away perfectly good stuff.. Many yrs ago I used to "dumpster dive" and find lots of high end stereo and VCRs that were tossed into the trash because they were not the current model or the right decorator color..

CDs and DVD CAN live on even as the hardware to play them on is fading into the distance. One can rip them to a different digital format.

CDs are the easiest to rip, Windows media player has the capability to rip audio CDs to MP3 or WMA files. Then you can copy those files to a USB stick..

DVDs are a bit trickier to rip, but there is a lot of freeware (free software) that can rip DVDs to digital files which also can be copied to a USB flash drive.

In both cases, it does take time to rip an entire collection to digital media files and some folks may not have a PC or MAC to do so (yes, I have friends that only have a Iphone) so there they sit with CDs and DVDs and need a player to play them..

BluRays because of the heavy handed copy protection sometimes can be sometimes ripped but it is not 100% guaranteed it will work in all cases.

Believe it or not, some people enjoy having physical media in their hands.. I prefer to buy physical media and then rip it to digital files. The physical media becomes my "backup" and the digital files become expendable so if a HD or USB stick fails or corrupts I still have the physical media that I can go back to to make a new rip. Heck, I still have vinyl records and a few cassettes although I have gotten rid of the 8tracks and reel to reels..

mike-uswest
Explorer
Explorer
nickthehunter wrote:

Why would anyone throw away the older things that you like and have paid for just to get some new version that would cost a bundle of money for something that that is just a replacement and not better quality?

Mike
2019 Ram 2500 TCD, 4X4,
Arctic Fox 25Y 30'

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Have you considered Bluetooth speakers? No wires, can move outdoors, great sound.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Car stereos are the typical replacement used.

Most will have front to back fader so you can wire things up so one set of speakers are on the front speaker outputs and another set can be hooked up to the rear outputs.

Things get a bit trickier with some RVs having three sets (an outdoor set) and/or subwoofer. But these also can be worked around, for more than two pairs of speakers, they do make speaker selector switchs and fo subwoofer, most car stereos have a un amplified subwoofer output.. Just add a small amplifier for the subwoofer and you will be off to the races.

That downside of car stereos is the do not have 5.1-10,000.1 "theater surround" decoding, they simply have 2.0 Stereo and if the radio has it a subwoofer output.

Additionally, now days pretty much car stereos with CD/DVD capability are going the way of the dinosaur. Most car stereo manufacturers have slimmed down their CD/DVD offerings so you may not much choice of brands or models like there used to be. Now days everything is being done via digital media (USB/BT).

The good side of Car stereos is they are physically smaller, the downside of that however is now you have a huge ugly hole to fill up.. Simple fix, find some paneling or wood that comes close to matching the trim or panel of where said hole resides to cover the big ugly hole.