cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Norcold 1200 refrigerator fan wiring question

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
I have a pre 2006 Norcold 1200 refrigerator that the two cooling fans on the condenser ceased operating after the refrigerator was worked on for a heating element problem.

Research has led me to believe the tech installed the black and white wires that supply 12 volts to the fans incorrectly.

If someone who has a 2005 or older RV with the Norcold 1200 refrigerator could look at their control board tell me how their board is wired I'd sure appreciate it. There are two wires that go to the fans....a black and a white.

As you look at the control board is the black wire on the right or left connector?

You can see the wires without removing the cover on the control board.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes
8 REPLIES 8

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Sorry, got busy. WHITE is on the left. Doug

JC2
Explorer
Explorer
Ivylog wrote:
I doubt it makes any difference...try reversing the two wires. Too bad a pair of wires were not run from the temp switch so you could manually turn on the fans to test.

That's what we have always done; run the fan wires directly to a simple on/off switch mounted inside the rv on the wall close to where the fan(s) are.
2010 Newmar Dutch Aire 4304,Cummins ISL 425hp,Spartan MM Chassis,2013 Chev Equinox AWD Towed,Ready Brute Elite TowBar/Brake,FMCA #402879,SKP#120487

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
ArchHoagland wrote:
dougrainer wrote:
Yes, IF the 2 wires are reversed the Cooling fans will not operate. VERY common mistake novices make. If all the tech did was r&r the Heating element, just reverse those 2 wires. I cannot remember which is which. I have that info at work. Doug

The Norcold manual has a picture of my control board showing the white lead on the left.

Mine has the black wire going to the left connection.

There is 5 volts DC on that connection.

Could you please check at work and determine if, indeed, the white wire should be on the left terminal.

Thanks.

Just swap them. NOTHING bad will happen. The ONLY thing that happens when they are reversed is the fans do not operate. Since yours do not, the logical thing to do is swap them. Doug

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
Yes, IF the 2 wires are reversed the Cooling fans will not operate. VERY common mistake novices make. If all the tech did was r&r the Heating element, just reverse those 2 wires. I cannot remember which is which. I have that info at work. Doug

The Norcold manual has a picture of my control board showing the white lead on the left.

Mine has the black wire going to the left connection.

There is 5 volts DC on that connection.

Could you please check at work and determine if, indeed, the white wire should be on the left terminal.

Thanks.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:

Bingo
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
I doubt it makes any difference...try reversing the two wires. Too bad a pair of wires were not run from the temp switch so you could manually turn on the fans to test.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Fans wires??

Fans are supplied via circuit board
12V DC POS goes to thermostat on condenser fin and then to fan
12V DC Grd comes from fan back to board

12V DC POS (should be black) would be LEFT
12V DC Grd would be RIGHT

Thermostat....Closes when condenser fin temp reaches 130*F and Opens when condenser fin temp drops to 115*F
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31