cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Norcold 4150 three way not working in 12 volts

richy2
Explorer
Explorer
I have a brand new RV equipped with Norcold 3 way refrigerator. Does not operate on 12 volts. Panel shows error code 6 which indicates lack of 12 volts, however there is 12 volts going into refrigerator. Manual states that engine must be running to operate on 12 volts. I'm trying to avoid a trip back to dealer.
4 REPLIES 4

richy2
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all of the helpful information, however I tried cooling it down with 110v. started engine, selected battery power and error 6 displayed. Error 6 indicates no 12 volts, however I measured 12.5 volts at connector to fridge.:h

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
The 12 volt section of your 3 way is a MAINTAINER of existing interior temps. It is NOT designed to cool the refer DOWN to operating temps. So, if you have the refer at operating temp, then you MUST have the engine running to run the 12 volt heat element to MAINTAIN the existing temp in the refer. 12 volt 3 way refers must have the engine running to function on 12 volts. You must use 120 or LP to get the refer to operating temps. Doug

shastagary
Explorer
Explorer
the manual says
Push the source button several times, as illustrated. Push until the desired source
(A, โ€˜autoโ€™) is selected and displayed.
If the engine is running, DC mode will be selected and displayed.
If the engine is not running, and 120 volts AC is available to the refrigerator, AC mode will be
selected and displayed.
If the engine is not running, and 120 volts AC is NOT available to the refrigerator, gas mode
will be selected and displayed

the manual says
These models have 2 connection points to prevent the battery from being discharged by the
refrigerator when the engine is not running

there is a connection on the back that senses the engine running the manual shows
D+ signal orange wire, + when engine runs
the current draw when running on 12v is above 17 amps

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
Does it actually run with the engine running?
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.