Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Norcold fridge not cooling on LP

hugsfamily
Explorer
Explorer
Good evening,

We are looking for help troubleshooting a fridge issue. we have a Norcold gas/electric 4 door fridge in our 5th wheel. The camper is 1 year old. This season we have had an issue where the fridge will not cool down when running on LP. It actually gets hot in the fridgeโ€ฆover 80 degrees. The camper is level. No fuses appear to be blown. we have checked both exterior access panels and see no leaks or blockages. We used an air compressor to blow everything clear in there, just in case. While running on LP, we can hear the LP working and the fridge running but it doesnโ€™t appear that the fans in the top access panel are working. The fridge does cool while running on LP if we are driving, so with the travel air movement, it cools. The fridge works just fine when plugged into shore power.

Any thoughts?
Hugsfamily
2022 Crusader 305rlp
2016 Chevy Silverado 2500 Gas
6 REPLIES 6

Cptnvideo
Nomad
Nomad
Also check the gap between the cooling fins and the RV wall. Too much gap and air is not forced over the cooling fins.
Bill & Linda, 2019 Ram Laramie 3500 dually 4x4 diesel, Hensley BD5 hitch, 2022 Grand Design Solitude 378MBS, 1600 watts solar, Victron 150/100 MPPT controller, GoPower 3kw inverter/charger, 5 SOK 206AH LFP batteries for 1030 ah

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
I replaced that little disc (I think it is a thermostat) on mine at Dougs suggestion a few years back and it fixed the problem.

Old_Days
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would go on the roof and take the roof frig vent cover off, that is what I did and I found a piece of silver foil tape over the chimney of the frig. The foil tape was used to hold the outside speaker wire it had come loose.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
hugsfamily wrote:
midnightsadie wrote:
get those fans working, you have to remove that hot air.

Completely understand, but we are baffled as to why they aren't working when we are using LP, but apparently are when on shore power.

You are POSITIVE they work on 120 volt cooling operation? The 2 fans are 12 volt as well as the Fan temp disc, that turns the fans on and off. So, if they work on 120 heat element, they should work on LP. Good news is from your description the refer is in a slide room. That gives you some access to the top rear condensor fins where the fan tstat is located. You will see 2 wires going to this 1 inch disc. disconnect those 2 wires and jump together until you can get the system fixed. The fans will run 24/7, which is not a bad thing. Also, I would install a baffle at the top access door to help move the hot air out thru the door instead of the hot air hitting the ceiling on the refer box and THEN going out. Refers in slide rooms need this type of modification to get the refer to operate at peak efficiency. OEM's rarely do that. Doug

hugsfamily
Explorer
Explorer
midnightsadie wrote:

Completely understand, but we are baffled as to why they aren't working when we are using LP, but apparently are when on shore power.
Hugsfamily
2022 Crusader 305rlp
2016 Chevy Silverado 2500 Gas

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II