cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Norcold refrigerator door seal problem - strange

Ed_Gee
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2+ year old Norcold N3150 3 way refrigerator in our 2018 Winnebago Class C. For the pas year or more it has had a strange door seal issue that I have never seen or read about before in any forum.
The door seal is fine when the refrigerator is off, and remains fine for a couple days of operation, easily passing the dollar bill test. But after it has been running for more than a couple days, a significant portion of the outer door seal 'retracts' from the door sill, opening up an approximately 1/8" gap over a length of about 18". This, of course, causes heavy icing on the fins and poor operation of the fridge. When the fridge is turned off, after several hours or more, the gasket seems to reform itself and return to a good seal. I temporarily curtail the problem by stuffing a folded strip of paper towel behind the back edge of the gasket forcing it to meet and seal mostly against the fridge sil.
Has anyone heard of such a thing, or know why this occurs? I have email pending finally with Thetford (Norcold) but don't expect much from them except for a suggestion to replace the entire door. I just want an explanation for this gasket behaviour for now.
Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad
14 REPLIES 14

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you will follow these directions exactly, it is very easy to post pictures on our forums. One of our moderators, 1492, developed this photo posting app to post your pictures. It works for other internet sites also. There is no need to have a separate hosting site for your pictures in order to use it.

It is very simple to use.
1. Upload your picture from your computer to the app.
2. Copy the resulting URL.
3. Paste that URL into your post

without ANY changes

. No additions or deletions.
Your picture will then appear in your post and be properly sized for use on our forums.:)
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

Ed_Gee
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
Ed_Gee wrote:
Just confirmed - magnets in the rubber gasket - not the fridge metal box edge... but regardless, the paperclip test was good all through the gasket including the part that deforms. Tried to send a picture without success. May try later. Still awaiting response from Norcold on this.

Have you tried heating the affected area with a Hair Dryer or heat gun? Doug

Well, when the fridge is off and after several hours or so of warming to air temp, the gasket returns to normalcy......so I'd say heating with a hair dryer would just speed up that process.
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Ed_Gee wrote:
Just confirmed - magnets in the rubber gasket - not the fridge metal box edge... but regardless, the paperclip test was good all through the gasket including the part that deforms. Tried to send a picture without success. May try later. Still awaiting response from Norcold on this.

Have you tried heating the affected area with a Hair Dryer or heat gun? Doug

Ed_Gee
Explorer
Explorer
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Ed_Gee wrote:
dougrainer wrote:
Ed_Gee wrote:
opnspaces wrote:
I think Doug is saying the magnets in the refrigerator frame attract and hold the gasket when the door is closed. So wait until the seal pulls back and then open the door and see if you can stick paper clips all the way around the sealing surface. If the clips fall off Norcold might offer to replace your refrigerator. If not the only cost to you is a box of paper clips.

Thanks for clarification, but IT IS NOT THE MAGNETS, The gasket becomes visibly deformed, shrinking away from the seal by over 1/8" over a 18" length. You can see how it is not as thick as need be to meet the fridge sil.

Why do people Argue??????? Just TRY the paper clip test. The seal is held in place by magnets. NOT just the force of the closed door. IF the magnets are not installed correctly or missing the seal will deform like you stated. Doug (41 years as a RV tech).

Doug, I am trying not to argue, but people continue to fail to comprehend what I am trying so hard to make clear. The gasket is deforming after a day or two of becoming cold. It reforms after a period of the fridge being shut off. Door seal is just fine when fridge os OFF..... Don't know why you think magnets have anything to do with pulling a rubber ( non magnetic) gasket, but in any case if they are there they are working just fine when the fridge is off, or first day or two of operation. The gasket becomes DEFORMED, after a few days of fridge being on. It remains visibly DEFORMED over the 18" portion even when the door is open. I do not know how I can make this any more clear....... .... Edited-- today I will go out and do the paper clip test.....if eating crow becomes necessary, so be it.

Most of the seals have a thin metal insert. The Magnets in the box frame pull and hold the seals tight. If the seal deforms and the Magnets are not the problem, the only recourse is a new door. BUT, before I would buy a new door, I would see if making a small slit in the seal and installing some type of wood dowel to stiffen the seal to prevent shrinking back. Doug

Ed_Gee
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
Ed_Gee wrote:
opnspaces wrote:
I think Doug is saying the magnets in the refrigerator frame attract and hold the gasket when the door is closed. So wait until the seal pulls back and then open the door and see if you can stick paper clips all the way around the sealing surface. If the clips fall off Norcold might offer to replace your refrigerator. If not the only cost to you is a box of paper clips.

Thanks for clarification, but IT IS NOT THE MAGNETS, The gasket becomes visibly deformed, shrinking away from the seal by over 1/8" over a 18" length. You can see how it is not as thick as need be to meet the fridge sil.

Why do people Argue??????? Just TRY the paper clip test. The seal is held in place by magnets. NOT just the force of the closed door. IF the magnets are not installed correctly or missing the seal will deform like you stated. Doug (41 years as a RV tech).

Doug, I am trying not to argue, but people continue to fail to comprehend what I am trying so hard to make clear. The gasket is deforming after a day or two of becoming cold. It reforms after a period of the fridge being shut off. Door seal is just fine when fridge os OFF..... Don't know why you think magnets have anything to do with pulling a rubber ( non magnetic) gasket, but in any case if they are there they are working just fine when the fridge is off, or first day or two of operation. The gasket becomes DEFORMED, after a few days of fridge being on. It remains visibly DEFORMED over the 18" portion even when the door is open. I do not know how I can make this any more clear....... .... Edited-- today I will go out and do the paper clip test.....if eating crow becomes necessary, so be it.
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
Ed_Gee wrote:
opnspaces wrote:

Doug,
Those of us that have worked in the trades with our hands, know and respect who you are and what you do. THANKS. Others with different skill sets just don't realize what you bring to the forum. Too bad for them.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Ed_Gee wrote:
opnspaces wrote:

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
Is it still under warranty? If so, I would pursue replacement.

Our seals have been gone on our Norcold 1210 for years. Leon at National Refrigeration suggested we use Gorilla tape. We placed it where the seals came off and it has been working ever since. Refer is over 10 years old.

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

Ed_Gee
Explorer
Explorer
opnspaces wrote:

2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

Ed_Gee
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
The normal test for your type problem is to take paper clips and see if they ALL stick to the main cabinet frame where the seal touches. You install paper clips around the complete frame to see if there is a fault in interior magnets(Clips fail to hold in place at spots). If so, take a pic and Norcold will probably replace the refer. You will have to go to a Norcold service center for verification of your test. IF this is not the case then replacing the door is next. Doug

Per my original post, the door IS held tight....it is the rubber gasket that is pulling back from tight fit.....but only about 18" of it. Email is pending with Norcold. Yes, I expect a door replacement is the only suggestion I'll receive from them....
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
The normal test for your type problem is to take paper clips and see if they ALL stick to the main cabinet frame where the seal touches. You install paper clips around the complete frame to see if there is a fault in interior magnets(Clips fail to hold in place at spots). If so, take a pic and Norcold will probably replace the refer. You will have to go to a Norcold service center for verification of your test. IF this is not the case then replacing the door is next. Doug

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Seal failure.
When cold that section is 'contracting' due to defect during mfg.

And NO.....seals are not replaceable
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31