cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Oil Filter area Leak on 1999 Cummins 360 ISC

ChaosAgent
Explorer
Explorer
Back in May 2018, I had RV Mobile Lube come out and service the Cummins 360 ISC engine in our 1999 American Eagle Class A, just as they've done every couple of years or so since we bought our coach in 2007.

About a month later we left Houston on a 2000+ mile trip up to Illinois and back down thru Alabama, and then back to Houston. we very quickly discovered we were leaking oil, about a gallon every 250 miles or so, turning our tow vehicle black. So to keep our schedule we just added oil as needed along the way.

Checking it was obvious that the leakage was coming from around the oil filter itself. But retightening it did not help. Talking with Cummins, they thought it was probably a defective filter.

So when we got back to Houston a few weeks later, I called RV Mobile Lube and they came back out and replaced the filter. After running the engine at high idle for about 45 minutes, we had no sign of any leaks. But to be sure we took the rig out a 50-mile test drive at both Interstate and side street speeds, again with no leaks.

Thinking we had the problem fixed, in October we headed down to Florida on another 2000+ mile round-trip. And we still had leaking oil.

Getting home about 3 weeks later, and talking with Cummins again, they thought it was probably burn-on residue where the oil filter gasket contacts the adapter. So I dropped the filter and cleaned the gasket seat thoroughly. And another test drive showed no leakage.

But on a 500-mile roundtrip in April 2019 we still had leakage. It was starting to dawn on us that we only had leakage when we were towing our pickup truck.

Back on the phone, a Cummins tech said it had to be the gasket between the oil cooler and the oil filter adapter.

Supposedly all I had to do was to remove the filter, remove the 4 bolts holding the adapter on, clean it and replace the gasket, and then put it all back together.

Well, removing the filter and the 4 bolts went fine, but the adapter won't come loose. And even tapping with a rubber mallet didn't help.

Finally, I put the old filter back on and ended up rapping it with the mallet, again with no luck. It was stuck tight.

Back on the phone with Cummins, the tech went away for about 10 minutes, he came back and told that the center post was actually a bolt and needed to be removed too. But the tech bulletin they sent me doesn't match up with what I have.

On my adapter, the center shaft is not a bolt. So now I'm stuck.

But before I get back on the phone to Cummins I thought I throw this out to the group.

Anyone run into this before or have any ideas about how to get the adapter off.
'99 American Eagle 40NS 'Beauty'
'04 Dodge Dakota 4x4 Crew Cab Toad
DH
DW
Karma Karma, The Coach Cat
Our RV Adventures
7 REPLIES 7

pappy43756
Explorer
Explorer
He doesn't have it fixed yet. I read his blog and no luck yet in finding it.

WILDEBILL308
Explorer II
Explorer II
Never got a update.
Bill
2008 Newmar Mountain Aire
450 HP CUMMINS ISM
ALLISON 4000 MH TRANSMISSION
TOWING 2014 HONDA CRV With Blue Ox tow bar
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain

WILDEBILL308
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ok I would go to Cummins Quickserve and create an account. You will need your engine serial number. This is the same parts break down your dealer looks at. You may be able to get a better idea of what is keeping you from taking that off.
https://quickserve.cummins.com/info/index.html
What looks like a detent is just a cheap keyway to keep the oil holes lined up.
Bill
450 HP CUMMINS ISM
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain

ChaosAgent
Explorer
Explorer
WILDEBILL308 wrote:
Have you looked at the backside to see if there is a bolt coming in from the backside?
Have you cleaned out the center hole and/or probed with a screwdriver to see if there is a hidden bolt/ Allen screw.
Have you tried to take the whole filter mount off per the drawing you posted?
Bill

1. I can't really get to the top side of the filter mount since it's positioned directly under the divider wall between the bedroom wall and the engine compartment. I'm not sure you could get to that spot without pulling the engine.

2. The center bolt is solid and the cap doesn't seem to come off.

3. That flange comes out of the side of the engine, connected to the oil cooler that's inside the engine case. So I can't get to it per #1

The one thing I haven't tried yet is to try pulling down on the center shaft and turning it so that the protruding pin is no longer seated in the indent and see if that releases anything.

Of course Cummins says all UI have to do is remove the four bolts.

Thanks for your input.
DH
DW
Our RV Adventures

WILDEBILL308
Explorer II
Explorer II
Have you looked at the back side to see if there is a bolt coming in from the back side?
Have you cleaned out the center hole and/or probed with a screwdriver to see if there is a hidden bolt/ allen screw.
Have you tried to take the whole filter mount off per the drawing you posted?
Bill
450 HP CUMMINS ISM
-Mark Twain

ChaosAgent
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
I would assume the gasket is stuck real hard and gently use a chisel to see if it comes loose.

I hit the filter so hard with the mallet that I've dented in the sides of the filter casing. The filter is about 18" high so I would think I would have plenty of leverage to break it loose.

Plus I'm not sure that I could get a chisel up in there without damaging the mating surfaces.

Thanks for the help.
DH
DW
Our RV Adventures

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would assume the gasket is stuck real hard and gently use a chisel to see if it comes loose.