cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Onan 7500QD generator 1000 hour service

lj2654
Explorer
Explorer
Well, after buying our DP 5 years ago I've finally reached the 1000 hour service due on the Onan Generator. It had 688 hours on it when we bought it. Never have had any issues with it though. I have changed the oil, filter every year, replaced the coolant once, and the fuel filter every two years.Also the air cleaner filter every two years. Cummins Ocala just quoted me $1095 for removal, service(replace belt, all hoses and clamps, new radiator cap, oils, filters, and bench run....reinstall and operational check in coach. Guess thats not bad considering it will go another 1000 hours before its due again.
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples 40
2012 Cadillac Srx
retired AirForce 1979-1992
5 REPLIES 5

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
That sounds about right. I'm guessing the genset pulls out on a Beaver?

Wonder if its more for a mounted one like mine?
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

Boxer_Lovers
Explorer
Explorer
Recommended Service is a synonym for Make My Day.
Dave, Robin, and Buster the Boxer
2008 Beaver Contessa, 42, Caterpillar 425
Toad 2017 Ram 1500, Quad Cab, Limited, M&G brake, Blue Ox.

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
Of all those things listed, the only one I would worry about at 1K hours and 5 years would be the belt.

I'd be more inclined to do an "in place" inspection and not remove it unless really necessary. Maybe the belt can be done without removal.

I certainly would not spend that kind of money on hoses.....unless they show some signs of cracking.

I had a good experience with Cummins in Ocala.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
You have to do what is comfortable for you.

personally, I do not do all the "recommended" stuff.

When i took the Toyota in for a 30K oil change, they had a recommended $522 worth of extra stuff that they said i needed. I went out the door with my oil change and I bet they thought, "well we did not get that old crotchety pfazrt, but we will get the next one through the door. :R

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
Taking care of your generator is very wise. However, remember that just the 1000 hour service equates to $1.00 per hour. Add all the other services and fuel, I bet the total comes close to $5.00 per hour! Walmart camping may not be so economical afterall if the generator is needed over night!