cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Plug to Camper problem, it's loose in its receptacle on RV

Yosemitebobr
Explorer
Explorer
So, hoping the statement in subject line is clear, but if it isn't. I noticed today that the 50amp plug on my main service cable is loose when I turn it into the receptacle on the RV. Can this be tightened by bending the electrical tabs on the receptacle in the RV, and if so what way should I slightly bend them, in or out?
YosemiteBobR (Bob)
2022 Venture Sonic Lite
My DW the co-pilot/navigator (the boss):)

GROWING OLDER IS MANDATORY, GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL
14 REPLIES 14

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Some rigs do not have Marinco style connectors. They are used more in marine applications. Plus they cost more!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Cut a notch in an upright 2x4

Endless variations like notches every 6"

2x6 option

It supports cord weight. Even a hundred pounds.

Been using this in Mรฉxico for 40 years

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
enblethen wrote:
Many rigs do not have a locking ring.

On 30/50 amp Marinco type connectors that I've seen there is always a locking ring. Two types.

now on 20 amp Twist lock. no ring but I've not seen one of those in a long time.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
This would help relieve strain. Problem though with rigs that do not have locking ring as in previous posts.Marinco 90 degree adapter

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
enblethen wrote:
The weight of the straight twist lock connectors is a big factor. Yes, you can try to bend pins. Doubt whether it will last.
Most twist lock connectors are made of better material. They do not normally show burnt marks on pins. The end that becomes loose is on the cable. Replacing it with a 90 degree, hard to find connector can reduce strain on pins.
I have the 90 degree end on mine, non locking just plug in, it is extremely tight and is 24 years old. I have to wiggle it to remove it.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Many rigs do not have a locking ring.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

cavie
Explorer
Explorer
after you turn the plug to the right you MUST tighten the locking ring! you can bend the ped end but not the RV end.
2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I'm not sure what you mean by "Loose" but I do not think you have a problem
Are you getting good power inside? If so likely no problem

I would not bend tabs to tighten

Tighten the lock ring
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
have a good electric shop in your area,, cut it and have a new 90deg put on. might come close to the price of a new cord,or they might do it free. mine would do it free small town .

Yosemitebobr
Explorer
Explorer
thanks guys. I'm convinced it is the twist lock connector. As stated by Bud, it is big and heavy. There is no way into this molded piece. The receptacle on the RV is in good shape. A right angle 50a connector would probably cost as much as a new cable LOL.
YosemiteBobR (Bob)
2022 Venture Sonic Lite

corvettekent
Explorer
Explorer
Time to replace the receptacle.
2022 Silverado 3500 High Country CC/LB, SRW, L5P. B&W Companion Hitch with pucks. Hadley air horns.

2004 32' Carriage 5th wheel. 860 watts of solar MPPT, two SOK 206 ah LiFePO4 batteries. Samlex 2,000 watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
The weight of the straight twist lock connectors is a big factor. Yes, you can try to bend pins. Doubt whether it will last.
Most twist lock connectors are made of better material. They do not normally show burnt marks on pins. The end that becomes loose is on the cable. Replacing it with a 90 degree, hard to find connector can reduce strain on pins.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

Yosemitebobr
Explorer
Explorer
Sometimes a picture really doesn't help, but I'll get one and send it next. Best explanation I have is pull or plug your main cable into your RV and note how tight it is, mine is extremely loose when I plug it in, not normal. All parts look good just too loose.
YosemiteBobR (Bob)
2022 Venture Sonic Lite

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
One foto worth thousand words