cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Plugging in to the Generator?

barko1
Explorer
Explorer
New to using a generator and while shopping I did notice that some, not many, come with a 30 amp connector that my RV would connect to but most have the standard duplex receptacles. Do I just plug in the the 110 with an adaptor to run the AC? THANKS
14 REPLIES 14

MrWizard
i recommend the Champion 2000 inverter
buy (2) and the parallel kit

you will need both to run the a/c on a regular dependable basis

only one to charge batteries..etc..
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
barko1 wrote:
I figure I'd buy one that I can parallel so I can add a second if needed or desired. I don't want the weight of a 3000. Looking at a Westinghouse 2200/2500.
You'll need a 2nd one, especially if the Westinghouse is overrated for wattage, which is common for cheaper products. If it will run (more importantly, START) your air it will be working very hard.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
barko1 wrote:
Thanks for all the input. I have a 13,500 AC unit. It seems that some people can run the AC from a 2000, some can't. I figure I'd buy one that I can parallel so I can add a second if needed or desired. I don't want the weight of a 3000. Looking at a Westinghouse 2200/2500.

IMO, quite often what determines if you can use a 2000 watt generator (like a Honda 2000i) to power your AC has more to do with the elevation and the temperature than pure chance. Adding other parasitic combined loads also frequently busts the limit too. I'm not familiar with the Westinghouse genny you mention but, if I read your post correctly, you can't just run any two generators in parallel. They have to be designed to run in sync.

If you search the tech forum you can find how to modify your AC to help it start more reliably under challenging conditions. For reliability, nothing beats raw power (with adequate reserve) though. If you want that, expect to pay for it.

Chum lee

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
Probably split phase 240v so only half power available at each 120v outlet.

I recommend a generator with a 30 amp 120v outlet for best power results.

That's it! The "open frame" or "job site" generators often (probably usually) have two 120-volt circuits at opposite electrical phases. They can deliver their full rated power only at 240-volts. Well pumps are often 240. So if you had a field of these, you could power them up to the rating of the generator.

This is the commonplace issue: Say your RV A/C needs 3000 watts. A 3500 watt RV generator can run it, because they are built to deliver their full rating on ONE phase. But a 4000 watt job site genny cannot, since it can handle up to two 2000 watt loads.

I think it was HF that offered two very similar generators awhile ago and one of them had the 3-prong RV socket. The other had the "twist lock" and those signify that two-phase output.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

barko1
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the input. I have a 13,500 AC unit. It seems that some people can run the AC from a 2000, some can't. I figure I'd buy one that I can parallel so I can add a second if needed or desired. I don't want the weight of a 3000. Looking at a Westinghouse 2200/2500.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
2oldman wrote:
maillemaker wrote:
We went down to Harbor Freight and picked up a 4000W generator on sale for $287. It only had 13A / 110VAC outlets. These would not run our air conditioner - the circuit breaker kept tripping on the genset.
Cheap generators have very little surge capability.
Probably split phase 240v so only half power available at each 120v outlet.

I recommend a generator with a 30 amp 120v outlet for best power results.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
maillemaker wrote:
We went down to Harbor Freight and picked up a 4000W generator on sale for $287. It only had 13A / 110VAC outlets. These would not run our air conditioner - the circuit breaker kept tripping on the genset.
Cheap generators have very little surge capability.

maillemaker
Explorer
Explorer
Yup, be wary. We were at a Solar Eclipse camp a month ago and our generator would not start. We have a 4000W Onan in our RV. We went down to Harbor Freight and picked up a 4000W generator on sale for $287. It only had 13A / 110VAC outlets. These would not run our air conditioner - the circuit breaker kept tripping on the genset. Fortunately we could return the generator.

And was pointed out above, even with a 110V adapter you have to be careful as with cheaper adapters they can overheat and melt from the high current pulled through them.
1990 Winnebago Warrior. "She may not look like much but she's got it where it counts!"

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Word of precaution, those 30 to 15 adapters can be very cheap and often get hot when under heavy load.
That over time burns the prongs, so don't skip on good quality one and make sure it is firmly inserted.
I kind of like contractor 30amp plug on my Honda. Have the camper cord with adapter on it and twist-lock gives me good feeling.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
barko1 wrote:
New to using a generator and while shopping I did notice that some, not many, come with a 30 amp connector that my RV would connect to but most have the standard duplex receptacles. Do I just plug in the the 110 with an adaptor to run the AC? THANKS

Even generators that DO come with a 30A outlet frequently do NOT have the TT-30 that is the RV industry "standard". Adapter from 5-30 or (locking) L5-30 to TT-30 are common. The Honda EU3000is comes with an L5-30 receptacle.

If the generator in question does not have some kind 30A receptacle, then it probably will not run your AC !

MrWizard
duplex outlet will be limited to 15amps or 20amps, depending on the generator

a 2000w generator will be limited to about 13amps total output continuous run

a/c only, nothing else period,

for A/C most of us buy a 3000w generator or (2) 2000w inverter generators that can be synced together, those are specail and need to be (2) of the same thing
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
barko1 wrote:

Don't buy one yet!!!! Find out more on here about the gen specs needed to run your AC loads. Gens are rated in VA not watts.

You need to know what the input VA is for the various appliances. A microwave might be called a 1000w but that is its output. It will want more like 1500w input. Toasters are straight watts in out though.

What appliances will you want to run and which ones all at the same time? Fridge plus converter, or can you go fridge on LP and the converter? What converter do you have? Air conditioning? Water heater? Hairdryer?
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
How many watt generator are you looking at?

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Yes, but make sure it's a good quality adapter. An inexpensive "puck" might overheat where a dog-bone style adapter will hold up better.