cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Problem with 50 amp cord

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
A while back, I bought a 50 amp extension (around 25') cord. Tried it this weekend, and I had power to my air conditioning, microwave, and a few of the outlets. I did not have power to my electric hot water heater, and the majority of my outlets.

Power works as normal if I run my built in generator, and it is fine without the extension cord. Replacement cords seem to be around $200. Any ideas or suggestions on how to fix the cord? It shows no wear, is in great condition.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010
23 REPLIES 23

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
Take a close look at the female end slots. Some years ago I snagged a brand new 30 amp extension cord out of the trash at a campground. When I tried it, there was no power getting through. I took a close look at the female slots and found that the molding process for the housing had left enough flash in one slot that the mating male pin could not make contact. A few minutes work with an X-Acto knife fixed the problem.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
Do not guess. Plug the extension into the power pole and use a volt meter.

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
Depending on the construction of the cord, if the continuity is bad, cut the ends off, or take them apart. If one end is bad, the other may not be any better, and who knows, maybe the wire is broken in the middle.

agree. if the continuity check shows a break...and based on the OP's narrative, it will...it doesn't matter where it is just return it as defective for refund or exchange. if you can't return it then it's up to you if you want to make repairs. odds are good the break is at one end or the other.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Depending on the construction of the cord, if the continuity is bad, cut the ends off, or take them apart. If one end is bad, the other may not be any better, and who knows, maybe the wire is broken in the middle.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ok while continunity tests. End to end. WILL show if one of the wires is "Open" (Bad connection) the problem is they do not show which end is not connected.
Either resonance tests or capacitance tests on the "Bad" wire will. But not all know how to read the meter and not all meters can do those tests.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
joelc wrote:
If as you say the cord is an "extension" cord which is attached to your existing 50A cord you are running as a guess close to 50' of cord between the RV and the outlet. I don't know what the reliability of the post is, but you might have a serious Amperage drop due to the cords length which is affecting the appliance.

25โ€™ power cord plus 25โ€™ extension of 8 ga wire equals 50โ€™ of cord running 50 amps equals voltage drop of about 4 volts. 120 vac source minus 4 volts equals 116 operating voltage. Not a problem.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
joelc wrote:
If as you say the cord is an "extension" cord which is attached to your existing 50A cord you are running as a guess close to 50' of cord between the RV and the outlet. I don't know what the reliability of the post is, but you might have a serious Amperage drop due to the cords length which is affecting the appliance.

CORRECT 50 amp extension cords will not have much of voltage/amp drop. The GAUGE of the wires inside the 50 amp extension cord matches the gauge of the SUPPLY from the CG. Most QUALITY 50 amp extension cords will have 6 or 8 gauge wires. If you are paying LESS than $150, you are not getting quality. Doug

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
We do not know what cord the OP has purchased. Yes, a proper extension cord for 50 amp would have four openings on the female end. Cord should be able to be plugged into it self.
OP:
Please post photo or part number of the cord you purchased.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
enblethen wrote:
Detachable cord only has three female contacts, the fourth is on the outside for the ground. Male end is four prong.
50 amp cord
I would think an extension cord would not have the external ground since it connects to the OEM cord that is plugged into the trailer.

As to the original problem, a couple minutes with a VOM will determine if there is an issue with the extension cord.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Detachable cord only has three female contacts, the fourth is on the outside for the ground. Male end is four prong.
50 amp cord

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Gotta ask....how many outlets have you tried using this cord on?

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
With a digital volt/ohm meter, very easy to diagnose:

Check CG outlet:

Outer straights are HOT
Center straight is NEUTRAL
Center round is GROUND

So either outer to either center= 120 VAC
Outer straight to outer straight= 240 VAC
Center round to center straight= 0 VAC

To diagnose the cord-- both ends unplugged. VOM set to OHMS:

Check for continuity between the cord ends.

Absolutely no need to guess or speculate.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

joelc
Explorer III
Explorer III

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Are you positive it is a 50 amp extension cord? Does it have 4 prongs and 4 female inserts? I think you have answered your question---The cord is defective. Doug