Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Quiet series generator 9500 watts!!!

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi all,

Yes, it is Harbor Freight--but the price is about the same as Honda or Yamaha 2800 watt units!

https://www.harborfreight.com/9500-watt-super-quiet-inverter-generator-with-co-secure-technology-570...
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.
38 REPLIES 38

AstroBruce
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone actually heard this generator running? I think I already know the answer.

Bruce
2015 28' Airstream Flying Cloud
2015 Ram 2500 6.7 TD, Blue Ox 1000 lb.
400ah LiFePo4, 1000 watts solar
PD9160 converter, Prosine 1800 inverter
2x eu2000i Propane

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
Boss, the Plane, the Plane
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
^^ :B ^^

SJ-Chris
Explorer
Explorer
frankwp wrote:
GDS-3950BH wrote:
Boon Docker wrote:
GDS-3950BH wrote:
Boon Docker wrote:
10-30 times louder?
Someone needs to read up about the db scale. :B

He references the Honda which is listed 59 dB, since the power doubles for every 3 dB of gain, 62 dB is double the racket of the Honda, 65 dB is double the 62, 67 is almost double of the 65. That's **** close to 10 times louder. The difference between a quiet conversation and having a hoover exhaust stuck in your ear. Does anyone really give a ratsass?

No quite.
Twice the perceived loudness is a 10 db increase.

Maybe on Fantasy Island, but whatever you say.

Fantasy Island, along with the rest of the world. A 10 db increase is 10X the power, but we, as humans only perceive that as being 2X as loud. Do some reading up on the subject, it's quite fascinating & goes against a lot of common understanding of the subject.

But all that aside, 67 db is way too loud for a campground. Campers 10 sites away would complain, I'm sure.

Just trying to help everyone out...I just called the front desk at Fantasy Island. They do not allow generators there.
San Jose, CA
Own two 2015 Thor Majestic 28a Class C RVs

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
2oldman wrote:
curt12914 wrote:
You get what you pay for. You will pay more for a Honda or Yamaha, but will get have a network of dealers that stock parts and provide service.
If you ever need parts or service, which with those brands you shouldn't.
MrWizard wrote:
That's why it takes a 10db increase ( over 8 times the amount of induced electrical signal ) for the average person to say that a any sound is perceived as being twice as loud as some previous Volume of sound.
I'm not sure how one judges something as 'twice as loud.'

The most accurate way is to use a perception meter. :B

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
curt12914 wrote:
You get what you pay for. You will pay more for a Honda or Yamaha, but will get have a network of dealers that stock parts and provide service.
If you ever need parts or service, which with those brands you shouldn't.
MrWizard wrote:
That's why it takes a 10db increase ( over 8 times the amount of induced electrical signal ) for the average person to say that a any sound is perceived as being twice as loud as some previous Volume of sound.
I'm not sure how one judges something as 'twice as loud.'
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Laying with left ear on pillow 70 db
Laying with right ear on pillow 30 db

Barking dogs audio control system

curt12914
Explorer
Explorer
I used to say that I was an RV generator expert, not because if my vast knowledge about generators, but I have made just about every mistake that I could make and it has cost me a lot of money making those mistakes. A bunch of those mistakes involved buying generators that were too loud to use while camping.

If you think 67 db. is acceptable, you are going to learn an expensive lesson.

Try listening to one of these open frame Honda 3000 watt generator that is 65 db. at rated load or this open frame Honda 6500 watt generator that is rated at 67db. at rated load. I don't think it will take long before you concede that 67 db. is too loud for camping.

As I posted on another thread recently, I was in a local Harbor Freight a couple weeks ago and I was looking at the generators. When I questioned the clerk about parts, he basically told me that they don't stock a single part for their generators, not even a spark plug.

2021 F-350 Platinum 4X4 PSD SRW 2016 Montana 3950FL (2) Honda EU2000i's
...and a few (twenty-some, but other than my wife, no one is counting) antique Allis Chalmers tractors

MrWizard
I won't comment on what may or may not be Too loud

But I will remind readers that db is a measure sound energy
The ability of the sound to produce a specific amount of electrical energy pulse in a specified calibrated transducer,
And a 3db increase measured on the sound meter is double the amount energy produced by the transducer impacted by/reacting to the sound

Perception of sound via the human ear and mind, is an entirely different thing

A sound meter reading is a calibrated measured energy reading,
Not an annoying noise perceive by the human ear whose sensitivity varies with the individual

I do not like db logarithmic scales for empirical data, but it does allow for too weak, ok, good, too much
To all be on the same analog meter scale movement face, and not have to switch scales for different volumes of sound,
There were no digital measuring devices when the Bureau of standards was tasked with defining these measurements, as way to implement safety standard's in industrial work places
And sounds above certain level can be painful and cause hearing loss, a standard for measuring was needed, end was devised and created, and did not become public discussion, until a group of people started complaining about generators in campgrounds, before "us , we campers and RV travelers"
It was mainly noisy construction , noisy traffic, or living to close too an airport, generators in RVs arrived before noisy rock concerts at the local Stadium.
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
67 db is a local food truck loud. You have to text your order to the guy because you can't hear each other.
Puma 30RKSS

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
TravelinDog wrote:
No thanks. Another made in china piece of garbage from harbor freight.
At that price you could do better.

other than Honda or Yamaha, what other inverter generators, at that price, are not made in China?
i spent a whole day next to the HF Predator 3500w inverter generator and i was very impressed. And i own a very quiet Honda 2000i.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
TravelinDog wrote:

Do share a link to the "better"?
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

TravelinDog
Explorer
Explorer
Just say no to the payload police :C

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
GDS-3950BH wrote:
Dutch_12078 wrote:

How would you know if a ranger is checking sound levels in response to a complaint? Sound level meters are readily available as smartphone apps.

I'd know because in 30+ years I've never seen nor heard about any NPS personel checking generators or anything else with a db meter. They might say "it's too loud" based on what they hear, but come on man, a dB meter? That's just forum drama. In that case if it ever did happen, it had better be a certified, calibrated meter, and not some phone app. What if someone is cited and shows up at the hearing to dispute the charge. More drama.

I make no claim to have visited every NPS camping facility, so I certainly wouldn't base any claims on what happens at the locations I haven't been to or when I'm not there. My point was simply that the NPS does have a 60 dB(A) sound level regulation, and the mentioned generator doesn't come close to meeting that requirement. Just how they might measure the level is irrelevant, since I don't recall NPS personnel routinely carrying tape measures to check the 50 foot measurement requirement either.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate