cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Rain shield for sliding window on trailer?

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our little trailer has only two openable windows -- a swing-out and a slider. In light rain, the swing-out works ok -- but the slider does not.

There has to be a way to shield the sliding window so that the rain does not come in. Obviously, in heavy rain or with a lot of wind, nothing will keep the rain out. And when we are on the road, of course the windows are closed.

I have one of those Maxx-Air hoods over the bathroom vent -- that works well, even in heavy rain.

I have searched the archives and Google for an adequate solution and have come up empty. Some sort of an after-market plastic shield??

Your collective wisdom, as always, is appreciated!
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."
14 REPLIES 14

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
OP here. In answer to a couple of questions: we try not to run the A/C while boondocking -- the generator makes too much noise. I much prefer an open window.

But this is a horizontal slider -- the rain comes right in, especially if there is a breeze blowing the raindrops sideways.

It's amazing to me that there is no new aftermarket window covering that would do the job -- this seems like a very common problem, in search of a solution.

An awning would work, I guess -- it's an expensive solution to a more easily solved problem.

I may try to fabricate a rain hood out of acrylic sheet -- this would be something that I would deploy in the rain and then take down before hitting the road again. Not sure how I would get the top edge to seal against the side of the trailer, so that raindrops would not infiltrate from above.

The good news is that I live in the Far West, where rain has apparently been abolished. The bad news is that we hope to travel to the East, where I am told it still rains on occasion.

I'll report back, if and when I come up with a workable work-around.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

Fisherman
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Fisherman wrote:
Well that 2040 place does list those window covers, out of curiosity has anyone ever bought anything from them? Sent them an email but nothing back yet.

You are searching for what is often referred to as New Old Stock (NOS).

I doubt anyone has new ones (NOS) and the only ones you might find now days are old used ones on Ebay.

I can easily find a listing on Amazon for them, but Amazon simply lists them as No longer available.

Sometimes online parts places will continue to list items even when they are no longer made and available.. It boosts their click ratings and hence they get more advertising money for the click throughs..

Maxxair stopped manufacturing this item sometime after 2013 as I have a local RV dealer catalog from 2013 that listed the covers and I am certain by now, even the NOS parts have dried up.

Here is a scan from my old catalog..

I suspect that the retail price tag of $57 each didn't make up enough sales for the molding/manufacturing/marketing costs incurred.

Not enough people willing to spend that kind of money back in 2013 up to when they quit manufacturing them to outfit their RV with these.. Would hate to see what the cost would be now days with the extreme inflation of prices..

Fisherman
Explorer
Explorer
Well that 2040 place does list those window covers, out of curiosity has anyone ever bought anything from them? Sent them an email but nothing back yet.

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Never liked slider windows for this exact reason. LOVE the tilt out ones MUCH better. May not get the same amount of airflow, but no rain gets in.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

Goostoff
Explorer
Explorer
Fisherman wrote:
Goostoff wrote:
Excuse the humor here but.....close the window and turn on the AC

Well if it's cool out and you want to evacuate some bean/beer pharts or even some old pharts, turning on the A/C doesn't work.

Well I guess ya got me on that one. I guess I just hit the thermostat on the roof vents. They can run long enough to evacuate the putrid flatulence before the rain sensors will shut them down.
1993 Chevy C3500
2005 Cedar Creek 34RLTS

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
prichardson wrote:
I believe that the OP has horizontal sliding windows; but, if you have a vertical slide window this is my solution.

I suspect you are correct with OP having a horizontal slider.

My TT has both horizontal and one large picture window that has a small vertical slider at the bottom of it..

Your solution could be recreated with some 1/8" thick plexiglass and some creative heating and bending.. Bending plexy isn't hard, just takes a few jigs, heat gun and some patience.

Thought about making some for my horizontal sliders using plexy and making it just fit inside the window tracks..

Miss the older awning windows I had in my first TT..

For storage purposes, I found I can open my sliders slightly leaving about a 1/8" gap and the rain generally doesn't make it in but some air can move about.

prichardson
Explorer
Explorer
I believe that the OP has horizontal sliding windows; but, if you have a vertical slide window this is my solution.

Fisherman
Explorer
Explorer
Goostoff wrote:

Well if it's cool out and you want to evacuate some bean/beer pharts or even some old pharts, turning on the A/C doesn't work.

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
I had a 1200T cover/hood that went over roof vent crank open covers. It was made so you could leave the cover open even when it was raining and it could not rain in your RV, even when driving down the road. It also had a fan. And I think a couple more things.

They are no longer available, sure wish I could find one. Seems strange that something as good as that, is no longer made.

Goostoff
Explorer
Explorer
1993 Chevy C3500
2005 Cedar Creek 34RLTS

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
They use to make something called a Window/Maxx,had them on my previous RV cost about $40. Let you slide window open and no rain came in.

This place may still have them 2040 parts

Just saw one on E Bay outlandish price.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Maxxair used to sell louvered vents specifically for sliding windows..

Maxxair 00-455000 Window/Maxx Louvered Vent

Description HERE

But alas, they no longer do..

Not sure when or why they stopped production of those vents but I have a catalog from one of my local RV dealers for 2013 that listed those covers for $57 each :E which may have resulted in less than stellar sales accounting for why they no longer make them..

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
You need a window awning like this. Do a search there are many options. We had sliding windows on our TT and great for letting air in, but the absolute worst in the rain.