cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Replaced house batteries/no power

Gottahaveit
Just replaced all six 6v golf cart batteries on the MHome. Hooked them up exactly as we have in the past. Had power for a few minutes to the house then hear a click and it shuts off. Going to take them all back out again and double check. Any additional thoughts ? Everything worked fine prior to this.
40ft Mandalay Quad Slide
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
21 REPLIES 21

MrWizard
Good news, glad things are working correctly,
Yeah we miss going to Q, that was Our only winter time camping/travelling , I'm surprised it will be happening this year, enjoy it, and have fun, be safe
I wish we could go and be there to enjoy it
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

dedmiston
Yay. Glad you guys got it working.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Gottahaveit
UPDATE: After checking everything over and over we still could not get the inverter stay running. On one final check of power hooked the ground cable up to the large bolt under the the key switch that shuts off the ground to the batteries and wham inverter turns on lights in cabinet come on etc. Yes the ground key switch was not making a good contact :S We are back and running properly and will be headed to AZ next week !!

Thank you for trying to help.
(George it's the all in one Magnum inverter. Yep I've turned on the hair dryer with a heater running at the same time LOL Pop goes the fuse) Miss seeing you in Q.
40ft Mandalay Quad Slide

MrWizard
Is this an Inverter_charger combo unit, or separate stand alone inverter,
Does inverter supply 120vac to the whole RV or just a few dedicated circuits
If this a Separate inverter powering the whole RV,
Do you have any portable electric heaters plugged in, anything that could be drawing a really high amp (power watts) load on the inverter
My ,2000w inverter pure sinewave inverter, will run my MW, powerMax 75 amp converter, or a portable electric heater, but not enough batteries for a long run, voltage Drop means high amps, which heats up the DC circuit breaker , then it trips,
I only forgot and did the electric heater on inverter battery power ONE time, that was enough, I have forgot to turn off the converter power circuit several times, when switching from generator to invereter here, in this Bounder, the Safari was wired with only dedicated circuits kitchen and entertainment to inverter,
I installed this inverter, here in the Bounder, and connected it to power all outlets etc..
Power going to converter must be shut off before turning on inverter, if I forget to turn off circuit breaker for my 75 amp converter when switching from generator to inverter,
After a about 20 minutes the DC amps load feeding the inverter to . Power the converter from the inverter THE breaker will be hot and trip,
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

full-timer
Explorer
Explorer
Are all connections clean and tight?
An Indian and a Gypsy

Joe and Nancy
2002 34 foot Georgetown double slide Ford V-10
towing 2004 Chevrolet Cavalier 4 Down

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
OP stated it took several minutes for the click. Perhaps something is detecting a problem and times out? I'd expect reverse polarity and shorts to be rather quick.

OP Can you determine where the click is coming from?
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Pass through relay in inverter is throwing a hissy fit.

cavie
Explorer
Explorer
I'm guessing the inverter is hooked up backwards.
2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
There is a better way to connect the batteries.

However, what is there ought to work.

Battery banks often have an automatic circuit breaker. They do have a finite life span. Some use a manual reset with a little button.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
The diagram is correct. Now the question is did he hook 'em up properly

This is where the voltmeter (which indicates polarity) is of great value.

Hands off that's as far as I can assist.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Gottahaveit
He has a voltmeter etc. I'm just trying to explain in wife terms what's going on. :W
40ft Mandalay Quad Slide

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Gottahaveit wrote:
Ok we can get everything to work off the batteries until I turn on the inverter then a click and everything shuts down.
Are you sure the polarity is correct? Lights will work even LEDs with the polarity circuit, DC motors will run backwards. But electronics not so much.

A $10 voltmeter from HF with the black wire connected to frame ground can help...
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Gottahaveit
Ok we can get everything to work off the batteries until I turn on the inverter then a click and everything shuts down.
40ft Mandalay Quad Slide

capacitor
Explorer
Explorer
That is a lot of batteries. I had to draw up a quick picture and it looks right to me but if it is not please let me know so I can delete it. I don't want disinformation out there. Thanks.

Edit: That did not work. Guess I need to read up on posting pictures here, please ignore.

By George I think I got it!