cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Replacement Awning Fabric

RVhiker
Explorer
Explorer
The Carefree awning fabric on our 2011 Jayco fifth wheel lasted about 5 years. I replaced the fabric with new material from rvawningsmart. It lasted about 5 years as well. Now I need new replacement awning fabric, again.

Our trailer is outside, usually in the sun, all the time. The fabric degrades in the area of at top of the tube. That area gets "crispy" and some of the awning material just breaks up.

Is there any awning material that will outlast 5 years when out in the sun all the time?
There's lots of advice and information in forums...
sometimes it is correct.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2008 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab; Duramax/Allison; Pullrite 14k Superglide Hitch
13 REPLIES 13

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
:B
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

RVhiker
Explorer
Explorer
TurnThePage wrote:
JBarca wrote:
TurnThePage wrote:

I should note that the Eternabond eventually looked rather wrinkly but staid securely attached to the awning. Not pretty but very effective.

Thanks for posting your Eternabond solution for awnings. Further, all the wrinkly people appreciate your comment that some of us may not be pretty, but still can be very effective!
sometimes it is correct.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2008 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab; Duramax/Allison; Pullrite 14k Superglide Hitch

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
JBarca wrote:
TurnThePage wrote:
I'm getting ready to replace my 18 year old awning today. It lasted that long because I ran two strips of Eternabond along the top section.

How wide a roll did you use? 4", 6" wide or wider? Two strips = how may inches covered?

Thanks

John

I used two 4" strips for a total of 8". It covered the entire top half of the awning when rolled up.

I don't know much about awnings, especially newer ones. On mine, I was able to lay the awning flat against the side of the trailer by putting the legs under the trailer. That made it easy to attach the Eternabond.

I should note that the Eternabond eventually looked rather wrinkly but staid securely attached to the awning. Not pretty but very effective.
2015 Ram 1500

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
Your junk awning is vinyl. Replace it with acrylic. Acrylic has a woven appearance. The acrylic awnings on my MH are 25 years old and still going strong. My awnings are from Carefree. Yes acrylic costs more in the beginning but will pay back in the long run.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

JBarca
Nomad II
Nomad II
TurnThePage wrote:
I'm getting ready to replace my 18 year old awning today. It lasted that long because I ran two strips of Eternabond along the top section.

How wide a roll did you use? 4", 6" wide or wider? Two strips = how may inches covered?

Thanks

John
2005 Ford F350 Super Duty, 4x4; 6.8L V10 with 4.10 RA, 21,000 GCWR, 11,000 GVWR, upgraded 2 1/2" Towbeast Receiver. Hitched with a 1,700# Reese HP WD, HP Dual Cam to a 2004 Sunline Solaris T310R travel trailer.

jjj
Explorer
Explorer
Get a new replacement fabric with the aluminum sheild.
They protect from the sun. I replaced one on my last trailer before
I sold it to my brother 20 years ago. Mine is gone with
no sheild ,his still is going strong.
I also have used eternabond on the tops of my
replacment slideout awnings to protect the
exposed tops when roll up and it has been working
great for 5 years now and still is working.
2002 F-350 Crew-Cab Dually
V-10-4.30 gears Mag-Hytec diff.cover
w/Amsoil-6.0 trans cooler Curt Q5 20K hitch & bedsaver
2005 Keystone Challenger 34TBH-Fifth Airbourn

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
ktmrfs wrote:
get a replacement fabric from tuff tops. There awning fabric is way better than OEM fabric.

Another source is Sailrite. Very helpful !

RVhiker
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting ideas from all. Thanks.

I've used Eternabond a lot and this suggestion makes a lot of sense to me:
TurnThePage wrote:

Anybody else tried putting Eternabond on the awning as a sun shield? Seems a brilliant idea to me.
sometimes it is correct.

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
2015 Ram 1500

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
get a replacement fabric from tuff tops. There awning fabric is way better than OEM fabric.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

JBarca
Nomad II
Nomad II
If you are looking for a way out to get longer life to the vinyl awnings, I use 303 Aerospace UV protectant on the exposed part of the awing when it is rolled up. You just wipe it on, and it greatly helps extend the life. This stuff https://www.303products.com.au/product-range/universal/303-outdoor-protectant

I see you are from TX, and if your camper is stored or in the sun "all" the time, you would need to apply the 303 about every 3 months.

The UV damage is what kills that last 12" to 18" of awning up by the gutter rail.

Here in central Ohio, the standard Dometic awning left untreated, can last about 9 to 10 years before they get so crispy they start to tear off the gutter rail. We have winter here where the UV is not as bad. I went with the Awnings Smart replacement, 303'ed it since new and I am now I am beyond the 10 years and it is still going strong. I also do everything on the roof that is plastic or rubber with it, including the Dicor caulk and it makes a major difference.

There is only so many manufactures of replacement awnings. Being in TX, FL or AZ and stored or in the sun all the time is really hard on anything rubber or vinyl. I'm not sure you are going to find an awning with a life guarantee to live in that environment as sold. Covering the awning is an option, but you did not want to seem to go that route. The 303 is only 5 to 10 minutes every 3 months and may be less effort for your situation.

Hope this helps

John
2005 Ford F350 Super Duty, 4x4; 6.8L V10 with 4.10 RA, 21,000 GCWR, 11,000 GVWR, upgraded 2 1/2" Towbeast Receiver. Hitched with a 1,700# Reese HP WD, HP Dual Cam to a 2004 Sunline Solaris T310R travel trailer.

RVhiker
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the suggestions. They would work, but I just don't want to fool with an awning protective cover nor do I want to buy a new, more expensive awning set up.

Is there any type of awning fabric that lasts longer than another? Thicker, sun resistant, a magic coating, a different plastic, a different fabric reinforcement, anything? Or is 3 or 4 years survival for an awning in full sunlight as good as it gets?
sometimes it is correct.

QCMan
Nomad II
Nomad II
Two ways to help longevity. One is to get awning protectors that slip over the closed awning when you are stationary as they cannot be on while in motion. The second is to go for a major change and install a system that has a metal cover over the awning when it is rolled up. Pricey but it will save the awning.

2020 Keystone Cougar 22RBS, Ram 1500, two Jacks and plenty of time to roam!
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. A.E.
Good Sam Life Member