cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Replacement Door Contacts for Norcold Fridge 1210

Ed_White
Explorer
Explorer
My Norcold 120 fridge has 3 metal domed contacts at the top left edge of the cabinet. On the left hand lower door there are 3 spring loaded contacts which connect with the cabinet contacts when the door is closed.

The top spring loaded contact on the door must have a broken spring because it no longer extends to make good contact with the top domed contact on the fridge cabinet.

Here's a picture of the 3 spring loaded contacts on the door:

Unfortunately, Norcold's parts list does not provide a part number for this spring contact set. Norcold says I have to buy a new door for more than $750.

Has anyone had any luck finding a part number and source for this contact set? It is ridiculous that Norcold feels comfortable telling customers to buy a new door.
9 REPLIES 9

kakampers
Explorer
Explorer
WOW...this is odd! Just this morning I discovered the same issue on our Norcold 1210.

I noticed it because I saw some brown substance around the top button on the door frame. Closer inspection revealed the plastic had burned and was partially melting. The metal button was actually HOT to the touch...NOT GOOD!!

Discovered the same info you did in the service manual and Norcold was NO help whatsoever. They tried to say there was something wrong with the electrical wiring in my coach...they were clueless. It is obvious that when these pins do not make proper contact they cause a heating issues at the contact point. They wanted me to pay to have my coach checked out for electrical issues.

Think it won't be long and I will be installing a residential unit...will NEVER own another Norcold
2013 Heartland Landmark Key Largo with Mor Ryde IS and disc brakes
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500 DRW Crew Cab Duramax Diesel

mchero
Explorer
Explorer
NP Ed.
I just replaced the coling unit with a NEW Amish cooler. Works like a charm! Easy to sleep knowing I DON'T have a Norcold cooling unit.

I found the broken wire after the cooling unit swap.
Robert McHenry
Currently, Henniker NH
07 Fleetwood Discovery 39V
1K Solar dieselrvowners.com
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Prior:1993 Pace Arrow 37' Diesel

Ed_White
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the "heads up" on the flapper wires mchero.

mchero
Explorer
Explorer
Another issue to look for;
The left hnd door has that flaper/seal that allows the two doors to seal.....

Note in the middle of that FLAPPER door is a 3-wire connector, One green & two white. I found my green wire was broken. It was a task getting that pin out of that connector but I was able to solder it back in place.

RM
Robert McHenry
Currently, Henniker NH
07 Fleetwood Discovery 39V
1K Solar dieselrvowners.com
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Prior:1993 Pace Arrow 37' Diesel

Ed_White
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Powderman426,

I don't know whether Norcold folks are deliberately not advising customers how easy it is to fix this problem, or whether they just don't realise how easy it is.

As for the dealerships, I went to two of them in my local area and neither of the parts managers had any knowledge whatsoever, and weren't willing to let me talk to any techs.

It struck me as strange, because my fridge can't possibly be the only one that has ever had the problem. Everyone with a Norcold double door fridge needs to check that the contacts are free to move easily in and out.

powderman426
Explorer
Explorer
Happy to hear you found a solution to your problem. Do you feel that Norcold was not forthcoming about how to clean and repair the pins, or was it a matter of the tech you talked with not knowing there was a easy fix?
Ron & Charlotte
WD8CBT since 1976
32' Gulfstream Ameri-Camp & 05 Ram QC LB

I started with nothing and I still have most of it left

I never fail, I just succeed in finding out what doesn't work

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Moved to Tech Issues forum from DIY.
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

Ed_White
Explorer
Explorer
OK, thanks to some extensive internet searching, I've answered my own question, but thought I should share the information in order to help others, and to alert owners to check the spring contacts on their Norcold 1200 series fridges.

I found an on-line copy of the service manual for the Norcold 1200 series which dedicated a page to a description of the spring pins and how to service them. They supply power to a perimeter heater on the door which is meant to prevent water condensation at the door closure point.

It turns out that the spring pins on my door, all three of them, were actually stuck in the almost-compressed position. They are meant to stick out about 3/8" as this photo shows:

The pins can be pulled straight out to be cleaned and can then be reinserted. The service manual WARNS NOT TO TRY TO PRISE THE PLASTIC MOUNTING OUT OF THE DOOR as it is permanently attached. The pins must be individually pulled out.

Here's a picture of one of the pins after I pulled it out:

It was an easy job to remove the spring pins and clean them with WD40. They now move easily in and out.

I'd just like to mention as well that the "dirt" which appears to be around the plastic mounting on my fridge is NOT dirt or food. It is actually black staining of the plastic by an unknown agent. Unfortunately, the photos make it look like we have a really dirty fridge.

Does one of the three pins affect the door open alarm beep.  Can someone tell me the order of function of each of the pins. I removed the three pins to clean and replace one that is broken. With them removed the door alarm doesnโ€™t seem to work but the interior light does go out after a few minutes. Thanks.