cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Replacing 30amp male plug

Domromer
Explorer
Explorer
The male end of my 30amp plug is kinda Burnt from being plugged into a 110 extension. It looks like replacing the male end of cord is pretty straight forward. Any precautions I should take first? I'm wondering is there any stored power I need to be aware of when I open the plug.
28 REPLIES 28

charwan
Explorer
Explorer
LarryJM wrote:
While a tad more $$$ PI makes a decent 30A replacement plug CLICKY

If you don't need a weatherproof one then the $5 hard plastic one from Lowe's works for me albiet not the highest quality it will get the job done. I use that since my plugs go into a weatherproof box, are always off the ground and need to be as small as possible to fit inside the weatherproof outlet box cover.

Larry

Larry I kind of like the Camco and "think" its better. However I have used both and believe that the Camco is easier to put on and fastens easier. Just my opinion though. Another point is that they both go bad over time and if your luck is bad and you get a bad outlet it goes faster.
N4FAP

LarryJM
Explorer
Explorer
While a tad more $$$ PI makes a decent 30A replacement plug CLICKY

If you don't need a weatherproof one then the $5 hard plastic one from Lowe's works for me albiet not the highest quality it will get the job done. I use that since my plugs go into a weatherproof box, are always off the ground and need to be as small as possible to fit inside the weatherproof outlet box cover.

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

charwan
Explorer
Explorer
j-d wrote:
Many RV's have a detachable shore tie cable. Seems more common with 50-amp but I've seen it on 30's also. Keeps from having to have cable storage right at the power entry, and some of the 50A cables are so heavy they'd be very hard to feed through a mouse hole like many 30's. I'm glad ours (30A) doesn't have that. One less connection to give trouble.

Yes, the Leviton 30A receptacle, that mounts in a box, is what I'm using on my extension and will put on the 50 ==> 30 dog bone.

Thanks. I kelp hearing mouse hole and wondered what the heck. Yes, now that I think of it the first M/H i got was a Hurricane and I do believe the cable store separate and had a connection on the outside that was yellow. I thought the 50 to 30 would stop that but it didn't, just ruined a dog bone. Note that adds another connection point to overheat.
N4FAP

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
Many RV's have a detachable shore tie cable. Seems more common with 50-amp but I've seen it on 30's also. Keeps from having to have cable storage right at the power entry, and some of the 50A cables are so heavy they'd be very hard to feed through a mouse hole like many 30's. I'm glad ours (30A) doesn't have that. One less connection to give trouble.

Yes, the Leviton 30A receptacle, that mounts in a box, is what I'm using on my extension and will put on the 50 ==> 30 dog bone.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

charwan
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
The cameco male plugs seem to be ok--but their female plugs are weak at best.

I always have used the Leviton from H/D for my outlet. I feel its the same one at all C/G's . I don't know what an inlet is that some are referring to but must be on a TT or 5 er. Mines a M/H and is hard wired into the transfer switch. Never no problems there just where I plug into C/G.
N4FAP

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
LOL Joe,

Of course it should be antioxidant.

joebedford wrote:
pianotuna wrote:
Spray it with anti Occident
Is this a spray that the Chinese use to stop something from turning western?
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
The camco male plugs seem to be ok--but their female plugs are weak at best.

I've found that the only female receptacles that hold up at all, are the hard "bakelite" kind. I've had to cut the molded female off RV extensions off, and put a box with receptacle on it. I think the whole thing is better: the contacts, the heat-resistant insulator, the clamping connections for the wires.

Got a 50 ==> 30 adapter that I'm going to have to put the box/outlet onto. I like to solder the the stripped strands for a more solid fit when the clamp tightens down.

Hopefully I can give the 830 to somebody who's stuck in a campground. Or, send'em to Walmart for a CAMCO.

And, yes, Roy, always use a Dogbone. Never a Puck!

charwan
Explorer
Explorer
j-d wrote:
I have two spare male plugs and honestly, I don't like either one. One looks like that Leviton linked above.

I think the wires should be clamped by the screws, not just tightened under a screw head. The Leviton and the other spare have just screws. So, I don't want to use those if I can avoid it. I'm interested in the CAMCO plugs. From what I can tell, at least one of their plugs uses clamping. But it doesn't seem every one they offer is made that way. Would rather get the larger one, if it's the only one that clamps, and cut the handle off if it won't go through the "mouse hole."

Yes the camco clamps down. I used the 830 because that was all I could get at the time. Ordered the Camco on the net. I used a 50 to a 30 bone and still had it go bad where the 30 plugs in. I use dielectric on my pins where I plug into the C/G's outlet. When plug went bad at son's house I replaced both outlet and male plug.
N4FAP

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
pianotuna wrote:
Spray it with anti Occident
Is this a spray that the Chinese use to stop something from turning western?

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
The cameco male plugs seem to be ok--but their female plugs are weak at best.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
I have two spare male plugs and honestly, I don't like either one. One looks like that Leviton linked above.

I think the wires should be clamped by the screws, not just tightened under a screw head. The Leviton and the other spare have just screws. So, I don't want to use those if I can avoid it. I'm interested in the CAMCO plugs. From what I can tell, at least one of their plugs uses clamping. But it doesn't seem every one they offer is made that way. Would rather get the larger one, if it's the only one that clamps, and cut the handle off if it won't go through the "mouse hole."

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I bought a Marinco plug hoping it was better quality.
It wasn't.

charwan
Explorer
Explorer
It won't make too much difference what male he uses because that's not where his problem starts. Its the female or "OUTLET" he plugs into. I think if he looks at the Camco verses the 830 he will see a difference and know which to use. Look around the camp grounds and see whats there. I just replaced a Camco so they all will go bad sooner or later. MOHO
N4FAP

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi GordonThree,

The inlets don't fail often. But if the RV'er is not aware of arcing and connects the shore power end first then there will be a slow accumulation of damage. They can melt as well.

My concern is more about damage to the connecting cord. If it gets cut by the local lawn mower, then finding a replacement may not be as easy as walking into Walmart. Or if the RV'er gets distracted and drives off with the cord still connected.... (btw Mea Culpa).

On the other hand sticking with the RV "standard ends" makes it much easier to source a replacement.

I've had both male and female plugs fail when really they should not have. 15 amps on a 30 amp plug should not be an issue, but on one occasion a set of brand new male and female plugs burned on the Neutral.

GordonThree wrote:
How often do marine quality inlets fail? Partly I'm skeptical, partly nervous.
Regards, Don