cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Screen Door Hinge Failed - Replace entire hinge?

jodeb720
Explorer
Explorer
Afternoon all -

My lovely children used the screen as a handle one time too many and the hinge broke from being torqued and bent back too many times.

As I look at the hinge, it's pop riveted to the door and riveted to the frame.

Has someone repaired this - where they've removed the hinges (pulled pins in the hinge after grinding off one of the ends) or just removed the entire hinge assembly and replaced it?

Thanks in advance!

josh
9 REPLIES 9

jodeb720
Explorer
Explorer
thanks!

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Amazon is always a good first place to look:

Screen door hinges

However that being said, your local big box hardware store: Lowes/Home Depot, has a large selection of hinges. I would not count on finding an exact match. You can always fill the screw/rivet holes in the door with epoxy putty and drill new holes for a new set of hinges.

As for dimensions, use a ruler.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

jodeb720
Explorer
Explorer
M6V-198295 is the manufacturers part number and it seems the only one out there is from Lippert - but nobody has the dimensions for the hinge assembly. It looks teh same as what I currently have but...

jodeb720
Explorer
Explorer
so can any suggest a site with dimensions on the hinges posted so I can select one that's the same?

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
jodeb720 wrote:
Ok this is going to sound stupid, but If I don't ask...

Are all the hinges on RV's identical?

Unlikely
Superbumper

jodeb720
Explorer
Explorer
Ok this is going to sound stupid, but If I don't ask...

Are all the hinges on RV's identical?

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Until the children grow up how about replacing the door with one of those hanging net screens. My explanation may not be clear but take a look at this site as an example of what is available: https://www.webstaurantstore.com/curtron-sd-mesh-4884-48-x-84-mesh-strip-door-insect-barrier-and-bug-curtain/5174884MSD.html?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=GoogleShopping&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIttbzyPfB3AIVx7bACh2WOAj0EAQYBSABEgIZp_D_BwE
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus is correct...if both sides of the hinges are riveted your only option is to drill them out....

I just checked ours.... the door side of the hinges are riveted into the jam. The screen door side is held by screws....

Good luck with it.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just replace it, pick a drill bit about the size of the pop-rivet and you can, with care, cut the head off with the drill bit by drilling down into it. You can just push the rivet out then.
Superbumper