cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Looking for LED headlight upgrade options

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
My old 2015 Ram 1500 runs great, and I'm not interested in mortgaging the house for a new truck. So a few select upgrades might be worthwhile. I'm not interested in sticking an LED bulb in my halogen projector housing. I think I would rather replace the entire assembly. At the moment, the only units I see with good reviews are Morimoto XB, and Alpharex Nova. Since I don't follow this stuff very closely, I'm hoping for some enlightenment as it were.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE
18 REPLIES 18

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
A lot of good info here. Since I have a 2015 Ram which seems to be pickier than pretty much any other vehicle I'm aware of, I think I'm going with the Morimoto XB housing. Expensive, but it has a 5 year warranty, apparently including against fading/blurring. And it has everything needed specifically for my vehicle.
2015 Ram 1500

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
Buyer beware.

I was lead mechanic on a 65 vehicle fleet recently. The former mechanic replaced all of the truck (only about 7 or 8 trucks) headlights with LED's. The other mechanic I worked with said he had nothing but problems with them.

Then I came onboard, guess what? Yep, I had nothing but problems with them. I replaced about 2 or 3 bulbs in a short period of time.

What make? I have no idea? Probably some China make off of Amazon?

My point? There is a LOT of junk on the market. If you do decide to go this route I suggest you get a good name brand like Cree or the likes or you will more than likely have nothing but problems like I did. BTW, the Chevy trucks I worked on were a real beotch to replace those bulbs.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

EnzoColorado
Explorer II
Explorer II
After trying different bulbs, I end up replacing the entire headlight with AlphaRex LED headlights. Expensive, I think I paid $1k for them. But so worth it to my aging eyes.
2017 Starcraft AR-ONE MAXX 20BHLE
2012 Suburban 2500 LT 4WD

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Some LED replacement lamps have the ability to rotate the orientation of the LEDs in relation to the locking tabs that hold it in the housing.

From what I have seen, you want the LEDs oriented left and right.

I have OEM projector style housings in my 2017 Colorado. I installed LEDs in it. The beam pattern and cutoff looks identical to the halogen lamps I removed.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
TurnThePage wrote:
Are you willing to share the brand you're using?

I got them off Amazon. These are for my 16 Ram. I have the dpsame brand but different number for my MH with projectors and my wifeโ€™s Explorer with projectors. All of which have excellent visibility and have never failed.

Ram LED bulbs

How long have those bulbs lasted? Itโ€™s great to hear what works and what doesnโ€™t.
Also interesting on the type/orientation of the LEDs in projectors.

To the OP I understand not liking the OE projectors. Yes theyโ€™re a bit better than normal old reflector lenses but not enough to matter IMO.
Iโ€™m no headlight expert but IMO, basically any plain old reflector light with a decent LED in it is quite bright.

I have had them for 4 years in my Explorer, 3 years in the MH and about 2 years in the Ram. No complaints.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
I added some led clear lense driving lights. I put them on the low beam circuit. I can turn them off as needed.

The end result is that the light is much better on low beam than on the high beams.

I would have preferred fog lights--but could not find any.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Although OP in N Idaho likely needs as much light as possible in the (mostly ) mountainous and rural area with large animals present.
Unfortunately I havenโ€™t seen or figured out a way to keep low and high beams on, at the same time. But can say, if one can accomplish low + high + oe driving lights, it makes even milquetoast lights pretty good in the pitch dark.

Whoever wants to reply as to how thatโ€™s not legal etc, save your breath. I donโ€™t care and you obviously donโ€™t bomb through the mountains at night
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
dodge guy wrote:
TurnThePage wrote:

I got them off Amazon. These are for my 16 Ram. I have the dpsame brand but different number for my MH with projectors and my wifeโ€™s Explorer with projectors. All of which have excellent visibility and have never failed.

Ram LED bulbs

How long have those bulbs lasted? Itโ€™s great to hear what works and what doesnโ€™t.
Also interesting on the type/orientation of the LEDs in projectors.

To the OP I understand not liking the OE projectors. Yes theyโ€™re a bit better than normal old reflector lenses but not enough to matter IMO.
Iโ€™m no headlight expert but IMO, basically any plain old reflector light with a decent LED in it is quite bright.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
TurnThePage wrote:

Ram LED bulbs
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

A bad day camping is

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
TurnThePage wrote:
I have projector housings unfortunately. They don't enjoy the same characteristics. LEDs don't seem to work well in them. HID might be an option, but I would like something totally reliable.

Ah, bummer. Have you considered HID bulbs? They are the same exact size as halogen, so the beam pattern should be the same.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
2015 Ram 1500

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
TurnThePage wrote:
I have projectors. I've perused all the Ram websites thoroughly and virtually nobody has had great success using LEDs in projectors. The light scatters. Getting an LED to recreate the halogen filament location is apparently much trickier in a projector.

I have a 16 with the projector and LEDs and the light does not scatter. The reflector housings will scatter the light. The LED has to be mounted so the the LED chip is on the sides at the 3 and 9 oโ€™clock positions. The bulbs are adjustable so this can be accomplished. It also need the right LED bulb. It has to be the kind with just the 2 chips on either side. If itโ€™s the ones that have about 10 LEDs all over it then the light will be everywhere!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

A bad day camping is

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
I know you said youโ€™re looking for new housings too, but fwiw, consider just bulbsโ€ฆ.maybe you want a new โ€œlookโ€ though or something, idk.
Iโ€™ve been real impressed with Auxbeam bulbs. Thereโ€™s a plethora of cheap chit Amazonian ones out there.
These are onthe upper end of the cheapo ones and IMO theyโ€™re well worth what they cost.
Got the ole brodozer with them and thought maybe they were expensive ones. When one burned out a couple years later figured out thatโ€™s what they were. The (same) replacement has been in for a good year or so now. And idk how old the original one is. Iโ€™d say 4 years at least.
Way brighter and not blinding enough to get flashed by oncoming traffic if adjusted right.
Have made a huge difference in other old junkers we run. And hard to beat for only $40-50 a pair.
The difference is literally day and night. Makes the stock bulbs output look like an old yellowed photograph!

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
I have projectors. I've perused all the Ram websites thoroughly and virtually nobody has had great success using LEDs in projectors. The light scatters. Getting an LED to recreate the halogen filament location is apparently much trickier in a projector.
2015 Ram 1500