cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Slide Topper Replacement

jeeperdude10
Explorer
Explorer
Our '16 Bounder's living room slide topper has come un-sewn from the attaching implement to rain gutter thingy. I am wanting to replace, but are in transit to destination and am wanting to remove completely and leave just the roller tube till we get to destination and have mobile replace. Is that a doable option? Should I just leave it till it is time to replace? I cannot tell if it is actually "flapping", as do not hear while traveling....your thoughts??????
2016 Bounder 35K
2014 Freedom Edition JEEP Unlimited
Traveling thru this great country
5 REPLIES 5

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Pin the tube, slide the fabric out, have it resewn, and reinstall.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
Search YouTube for example of replacing slide toppers before you begin your project.

There's plenty of fabric there. If you can find an awning shop to cut a few inches off and resew the bead, you'll get away cheap. I did that a few years ago and they charged me $25 for 1/4 hour labor.

Be very careful handling that awning with the spring tension it's under. You may be able to put a pin in the shaft to keep it from turning while you work on it.
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We removed our awning when it did that. The fabric was good but the stitching had sun rotted. You can actually re-sew everything with UV protected outdoor threading and put the awning back up. You don't have to cut anything to get it down, just slide it out of the track at the top where it fastens to the rv.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't see any issues with removing the fabric. Especially if you plan on having it installed somewhere. They should be able to set the preload for the awning fabric when they install the new fabric.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
If you cut it free and it doesn't have any kind of anti-billowing device, make sure you count the number of turns it makes while the spring unwinds so you know how many turns to give it when you install new fabric. You'll have to hold it tightly with your hands (very doable) to make it to turn slow enough to count.