cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Smoking Batteries

Tocwby
Explorer
Explorer
2010 Springdale 26BHS: When I plug into shore power (30amp) I wake up the next morning to overheated batteries that are smoking and putting out that wonderful smell.

Here is some history: years ago I drove away from the house to leave and forgot to unplug my shore power pulling the cord out from the back of the trailer. I was able to reinstall the 3 wire cord to the back of the trailer (not directly connected to the converter because it is in the center of the trailer and the cord just hooks to a junction box in the rear).

I am not sure if this is related to my battery problem or not. The trailer works fine if I disconnect the batteries when I am plugged into shore power but that is getting old. Do you think I hooked up the wires incorrectly or has my converter gone bad?

Thanks for any help!
25 REPLIES 25

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Tocwby wrote:
I am still trying to get back to the trailer to Fluke the charger and make sure but after reading all the posts, I am pretty sure that is the problem.

If it is the charger, what are your thoughts on replacement? replace the entire converter/charger/distribution panel or just remove the converter/charger and replace it?

Assuming the rest of the panel is not in bad shape, I'd go for the latter option. It's certainly a lot less wiring hassle to contend with.

Bestconverter.com is a good source for the converter, and they are quite knowledgable about the various options and what would be the most straightforward for your particular panel. I'm generally a fan of the Progressive Dynamics converters myself, all other things being equal.

Tocwby
Explorer
Explorer
I am still trying to get back to the trailer to Fluke the charger and make sure but after reading all the posts, I am pretty sure that is the problem.

If it is the charger, what are your thoughts on replacement? replace the entire converter/charger/distribution panel or just remove the converter/charger and replace it?

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
OP Quote:
I am very familier with 12 volt vehicle systems
--------------------------------------------
Is that why you didn't check the output voltage of the converter while your batteries are smoking ?
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
There is a universe of difference between 14.0, and 14.4 for a high antimony battery. 14.0 is too high is applied longer than 2-days at >70F temps.

WFCO the powdered milk of dairy products...

Ed_Gee
Explorer
Explorer
Tocwby wrote:
Ed_Gee wrote:
I wish the original poster would confirm that he has checked the water level in that battery or not!!

I am the original poster. they are non service deep cycle batteries. I have replaced them several times over the last few years that this has been happening.

Several times this has happened!!? Then I would certainly think your charger is overcharging the batteries! Yes, with the batteries disconnected your 12V lighting and appliances may still work.....surprising you have not had something burn out, though. You REALLY need to get a voltage reading on that charger! . .. . Or just replace it.
Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
If the WFCO holds 14.4 volts into a charged battery more than 15 minutes or into a low battery more than 4 hours the WFCO is defective. This assumes the battery is good.

My WFCO eventually stuck in boost mode (14.4 volts) and was replaced.

Tocwby
Explorer
Explorer
Ed_Gee wrote:
I wish the original poster would confirm that he has checked the water level in that battery or not!!

I am the original poster. they are non service deep cycle batteries. I have replaced them several times over the last few years that this has been happening.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
You will need to know what state of charge the batteries have. You will need to know the voltage set points of the multi-state charger you have. 14V may be the absorption set point.
If the batteries have a full charge, the converter should not output more than 13.6V. It is unlikely you have a 120V problem as the converter is outputting some charge current. They typically fail open or not outputting any charge even though 120V power is present. A converter failing in the 120V power circuit would likely trip a breaker.

My internet diagnosis is that you have a failing battery or wires connected incorrectly. It is possible to have larger DCV with a failing converter but it is rare.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Ed_Gee
Explorer
Explorer
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad

Tocwby
Explorer
Explorer
Currently, when I plug in, I disconnect my batteries so they do not smoke or overheat. The Trailer works perfectly and no issues when the batteries are disconnected. I only hook the batteries back up for travel between destinations.

It is the original WFCO converter that was original equipment as I have owned this since new. I am very familier with 12 volt vehicle systems so I know my way around a battery, my issue is the 120V system and the converter.

I will test the circuit with a fluke and verify what the output of the converter is at the battery. If it is over 14v means it is overcharging?

Thanks all!

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Ed_Gee wrote:
DutchmenSport wrote:
Simple test? Take the battery off the camper. Put it in the garage (or somewhere else), and put a portable charger on it that will shut off once the battery is fully charged. If no smoke, 1) you know the battery is still good. Let it sit for a couple days to see if it still holds a charge. If OK, then 2) you know the system in your camper is over charging and your battery is not damaged. 3) take appropriate action regardless of the outcome.

I submit that if a battery has smoked....repeatedly I might add, then it is certainly not good anymore.

Probably right, there!

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Disconnect the battery then check the voltage of the converter when plugged in. s/b 13.6 volts. Post the results.

Replace the batteries regardless.

Ed_Gee
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
Simple test? Take the battery off the camper. Put it in the garage (or somewhere else), and put a portable charger on it that will shut off once the battery is fully charged. If no smoke, 1) you know the battery is still good. Let it sit for a couple days to see if it still holds a charge. If OK, then 2) you know the system in your camper is over charging and your battery is not damaged. 3) take appropriate action regardless of the outcome.

I submit that if a battery has smoked....repeatedly I might add, then it is certainly not good anymore.
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Simple solution.......get rid of those damaged batteries---they are toast
Buy new ones (mark all cables before removing bad batteries---POS/NEG)

Before installing new batteries test converter

With rig plugged into shore power check converter DC Output Voltage...either right at converter or on Battery POS cable
DC Voltage should be 13.2V DC MINIMUM
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31