cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Solar crunch time! Please review my plan.

Chilepalace
Explorer
Explorer
I would like begin my first post with a big thank you to all who have shared their knowledge and experience on this forum. Without that, I probably wouldn't be entering the solar jungle!

I hope you will take a look at my plan,(will try to keep it short), and alert me to any big mistakes I am about to make.

The rig: 27' 5er, 2 Trojan T-105 batteries. Lots of dry camping, however our power needs are minimal. No plans for a large inverter or power hungry appliances. LED's already installed. Usually camp in warm, sunny places, often at 11,000ft. elevation.

The equipment:
Solar Cynergy 300W kit from Solarblvd. $415/free shipping.
Includes:
2 150W mono panels
Solar Cynergy 20amp controller(probably not use).
40' of 10Ga. cable w/mc4 connectors, 2 mc4 Y connectors.
8 'Z' brackets(won't use).

Trimetric SC2030 controller kit from solarseller.com. $340 w/shipping.
Includes:
30amp PWM Controller and 2030RV monitor.
500amp shunt.
Monitor wiring harness and temp. sensor w/connectors.

Battery cables,fuses, disconnects, panel mounting hardware: <$200? So maybe do this for just under $1000. Worth it?

My main questions for all of you:
Is the above controller & monitor a good choice for my system?
Would an MPPT controller justify the extra cost? I have been trying to research the Tracer 4215Bn with Mt50 remote monitor. Haven't had any luck finding adequate info.(or suppliers) on these units.

Wire size: Approx. 12' run from panels to controller, is 10 ga. supplied in the kit adequate? 4' controller to batteries, 4ga. welding cable OK?

Thank you for any comments/suggestions you care to share.
1996 Alpenlite 27RK, 1 slide
2005 F250 diesel
60 REPLIES 60

Fisherguy
Explorer
Explorer
scrubjaysnest wrote:
225AH*14.5 volts charging * 1/0.77 panel + CC loss * 0.1(10% roc) = 424 watts of solar needed. System is marginal unless very conservative. Go with the Bogart set-up and maybe a fourth panel. You can get by with the 300 watts as you will still be above the 5% minimum roc that Trojan recommends. The batteries will be happier with 10%.

Considering going solar myself, lots to learn.

Can you explain:
"225AH*14.5 volts charging * 1/0.77 panel + CC loss * 0.1(10% roc) = 424 watts of solar needed."

You say his system would be marginal then say he'll be fine?
06 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins 6 spd std with a few goodies.

2007 Komfort 274TS, 480 watts solar, Trimetric 2025RV, PD9280, Honda EU2000i, Xantrex SW600

2019 Timber Ridge 24RLS, 600 watts solar, 3-100Ah Lithiums, 12volt Norcold Fridge

Bend
Explorer
Explorer
Chilepalace wrote:

Includes:
500amp shunt.

300 watts vs 225 ah works well. I have a few less watts and am very happy.

The synergy of the SC2030 system is outstanding. No need to worry about going MPPT.

Also, I second the idea of a small PSW inverter (150-300w) for charging phones, razors, GPS, walky-talkys, etc. The Samlex PST series fits well with a SC2030 kit.

Welcome x2.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
You could probably do several days of no sun and be fine.
scrubjaysnest wrote:
System is marginal unless very conservative.
He is.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

Welcome to the forums.

Since the battery bank is tiny for the purposes of boondocking I'd compensate by having more solar wattage. 350 or more would be my choice.

I would choose poly panels rather than mono. A few folks here have found that poly appears to be better at low light levels.

I would not bother with an amp-hour counter such as the trimetric, but rather would choose a simple volt meter. Spend the money saved on the battery monitor on led lights, or other conservation items.

The charge controller is fine.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

scrubjaysnest
Explorer
Explorer
225AH*14.5 volts charging * 1/0.77 panel + CC loss * 0.1(10% roc) = 424 watts of solar needed. System is marginal unless very conservative. Go with the Bogart set-up and maybe a fourth panel. You can get by with the 300 watts as you will still be above the 5% minimum roc that Trojan recommends. The batteries will be happier with 10%.
Axis 24.1 class A 500watts solar TS-45CC Trimetric
Very noisy generator :M
2016 Wrangler JK dinghy
โ€œThey who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.โ€ Benjamin Franklin

grizzzman
Explorer
Explorer
Chilepalace wrote:
I would like begin my first post with a big thank you to all who have shared their knowledge and experience on this forum. Without that, I probably wouldn't be entering the solar jungle!

I hope you will take a look at my plan,(will try to keep it short), and alert me to any big mistakes I am about to make.

The rig: 27' 5er, 2 Trojan T-105 batteries. Lots of dry camping, however our power needs are minimal. No plans for a large inverter or power hungry appliances. LED's already installed. Usually camp in warm, sunny places, often at 11,000ft. elevation.

The equipment:
Solar Cynergy 300W kit from Solarblvd. $415/free shipping.
Includes:
2 150W mono panels
Solar Cynergy 20amp controller(probably not use).
40' of 10Ga. cable w/mc4 connectors, 2 mc4 Y connectors.
8 'Z' brackets(won't use).

Includes:
500amp shunt.

Battery cables,fuses, disconnects, panel mounting hardware: <$200? So maybe do this for just under $1000. Worth it?

Would an MPPT controller justify the extra cost? I have been trying to research the Tracer 4215Bn with Mt50 remote monitor. Haven't had any luck finding adequate info.(or suppliers) on these units.

Wire size: Approx. 12' run from panels to controller, is 10 ga. supplied in the kit adequate? 4' controller to batteries, 4ga. welding cable OK?

Thank you for any comments/suggestions you care to share.

I have the trimetric TM2030 and SC2030 system and i would highly recommend it. One of the big mistakes people make is to small wire size. I would suggest that you use AGW 6 from the panels to the controller. AGW 4 will be fine. The Trimetric system has voltage compisation as long as the losses from the panels are not to high. For what its worth i built a combiner box for about 14 dollars using stuff from homedepot. Good luck with your build!
2019 Ford F150 EcoBoost SuperCrew
2016 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S. TM2030 SC2030
640 Watts Solar. Costco CG2 208 AH and Lifepo4 3P4S 150 AH Hybrid. ElectroDacus. Renolagy DC to DC charger. 2000 Watt Inverter.
Boondocking is my Deal

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
Considering that your solar cost will be just over a $1 per rated watt, it really does not make sense to spend an additional $100 for a MPPT controller. It would cost less to expand the solar system by 100 watts, and then you will overall have more than 20% more energy.

I think that at 300 watts, it is sized properly. You will be able to use the furnace a lot, and with LED lights they do not present a significant load.

I would recommend a 100 - 300 watt inverter. It can be handy to charge a laptop, or run a small TV set, or something. Even a 150 watt can run a small flatscreen TV and DVD player.

I have #10 wire to a pair of 120 watt solar panels. While that wire is a 'little small' for a full 14 amp load, the distance is not 1,000 feet, so it really does not matter much. I only have about 20 feet of the small wire between the panel and controller.

That said, you will have a pair of 10 amp panels, so #10 wire to each is what I would do, because #10 is not 'good' for 20 amps, that would place a more significant voltage drop. The single advantage of the MPPT controller is that you could run 24 volts into most MPPT controllers with 12 volt output, so you can run both panels in series, having about 38 volts enter the MPPT controller at say 8 amps, with about 17 amps going into the 12 volt battery.

Have fun camping!

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Chilepalace wrote:
I've read good things about the Trimetric, and just haven't been able to find enough info about the Tracer 4215BN to make a comparison.
I would have the Trimetric over Tracer as the Trimetric will automatically adjust absorption time based on battery charge level. Storage-short absorption... Heavy use-long absorption.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
westend, Thanks for the encouragement! Also for the tips on switches and spade lugs, I've been wondering about those items. Do you think 4ga. welding cable for the 6' run to the batteries is adequate? I guess an inline fuse on the pos. will be required.

You're welcome. Yeah I really dig the solar, batteries always charged, no generator noise, and I can pretty much do everything off grid.

4 ga, welding cable should be fine for a 6' run to the batteries.

Southwire calculator says around 1% V drop.

Yes, you should have circuit protection for any wires connected to the battery. The mfg of your controller should have a fuse recommendation for the controller. IIRC, I used a 30A fuse--these Midi fuses. An ANL fuse will break quicker but they are four times the price and when I mess something up in a DC circuit, it will usually blow any fuse, right quickly.:B
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

sh4717
Explorer
Explorer
I just installed that 300 watt kit from solar blvd today in my class A. I ran the wires down the fridge vent and into the controller which I mounted on the wall next to the entry steps. Great system and everything went together perfect. The only thing missing was screws to mount the z brackets to the roof. I used #14 - 1" screws but I think I should have gone with 1 1/2 inch-didn't get as much of a bite that I expected into the roof with the 1".
Scott
2019 Northwood Nash 24M
2018 Ram Ecodiesel

Chilepalace
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the quick responses.

Smkettner, That 12' run is actually 24' round trip. If my calculations are correct, maybe about 2% voltage drop. Could go with 6 or 8ga., but would like to avoid combiner box on roof. The kit is only $45 more than just the panels, figure it's a wash if I can use the 10ga. cables & mc4 Y connectors. Maybe sell the 20amp controller or keep for something else. No free shipping on just the panels.

BFL13, Thanks, I've really been on the fence about pwm vs mppt for this system. Lots of conflicting opinions out there. I've read good things about the Trimetric, and just haven't been able to find enough info about the Tracer 4215BN to make a comparison.

2oldman, Pretty minimal. Our dry camping style only requires a few led lights, water pump, radio/cd player, phone/camera/laptop charging. and the only parasitic loads I know of are co detector & fridge electronics. Maybe a little sat. tv in the future, but not much of that.

wclement1248, I should check on the Renogy 150W panels. What did you use for mounting hardware? No generator for us I hope. I have camped for 3 weeks with these batteries, conservative yes, but still used lights, fridge, water pump for dishes & showers. Charged from truck with battery cables maybe 4hrs. over the 3 weeks, batts. never dropped below 12.2V. Charging from the alternator is the worst way to do it, which is why I'm excited about solar!

westend, Thanks for the encouragement! Also for the tips on switches and spade lugs, I've been wondering about those items. Do you think 4ga. welding cable for the 6' run to the batteries is adequate? I guess an inline fuse on the pos. will be required.

I actually believe that with everyone's help on this forum I can pull this off & do it right! Thanks again.

w
1996 Alpenlite 27RK, 1 slide
2005 F250 diesel

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Seems like a good list. I'd also choose the Bogart gear, I've seen how it was built and appears to be built with quality in mind.

Some things that be helpful- switch/breaker between modules and charge controller. First off and last on when working with downstream 12V. I went with one of these mid-range manual CB.

If the controller's output terminals are too small for the cable you want to use, spade lug connectors are available that fit the terminal space. I bought the gold plated ones for $5.

Heat shrink, get a bunch. I try to buy it local.

Good luck with the installation. Solar is better than sliced bread!:B
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

wclement1248
Explorer
Explorer
I just completed install of an almost identical system. Batteries are 240 amp hour crown 6 volt. Panels are 150 watt Renogy. Same tm2030 & sc2030. We are using 1000 watt inverter to power TV, stereo, tailgater and lan. My wire sizes are similar with longer runs. We have been able to get too 100% SOC by 2pm with partly cloudy skies. Batteries are down to 65% at 7am when we get up. My plan is to carry Yamaha 2400 generator for backup.

Let us know how it works.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Exactly how minimal are your power needs?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have MPPT which depends on panel wattage. Panel wattage takes a dive in hot sun, and your output amps to the battery, which come from the output watts divided by the battery voltage at the time, then suffer too.

PWM doesn't do the amps to the battery that way, so it does not take a hit in the hot sun (panel heating---controller would, but is supposed it be in out of the sun!)

Therefore it seems camping where you intend, with a pair of 150w panels, you should stick with the intended PWM.

I agree with smk (usually do!) that since you are getting the Trimetric set, just get a set of panels for less money and not buy that kit.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.