cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Solar expert please help me understand

larry_cad
Explorer
Explorer

We are staying at a CG with full hookups including 30/50 amp electric which is all working. There is a smaller class A in a site, with shore power cord plugged into his power pole. However, and here is where I get lost, he also has a 2'X 4' solar panel set up and wired in front of the RV, and it is always aimed toward the sun. What I don't understand is why? What does the solar panel do that the shore power doesn't?

What am I missing?
Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog
20 REPLIES 20

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Itinerant1 wrote:
Having the hybrid inverter would make extremely easy.

Hi Itinerant1,

I may have reduced the lifespan on my Magum hybrid by doing that. The method for doing so is to lower the shorepower amperage until the solar system accepts most or some of the load. This forces the Magnum from "load support" to "voltage support".

Shortly after I did that a number of conditions allowed the Magnum to catch on fire.

I'm not saying this is proof--but if it quacks like a duck......

The take away is "be careful".
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

corvettekent
Explorer
Explorer
I unplugged my converter 8 years ago when I installed my solar. It has been a couple years since I have be in a RV park but if I was my batteries would be charging from solar not the power post. I most likely would be plugged into the power post to run a heater or air conditioning.
2022 Silverado 3500 High Country CC/LB, SRW, L5P. B&W Companion Hitch with pucks. Hadley air horns.

2004 32' Carriage 5th wheel. 860 watts of solar MPPT, two SOK 206 ah LiFePO4 batteries. Samlex 2,000 watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Perhaps the owner of the panels wishes to do his small part to lower consumption. I always leave my panels on when on shore power.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

rlw999
Explorer
Explorer
The most likely guess is that he's charging the chassis battery (maybe he runs his stereo from the chassis battery). But based on the apparent age of that RV, my second guess would be that his power converter is broken and not charging, so he uses solar to keep the house batteries topped up so he can run 12V gear in the RV.

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
With charging wire from solar panel going through front access they are probably keeping a starting battery from completely discharging, when plugged to shorepower many rig's only charge house batteries.

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Itinerant1 wrote:
If I were in a campground longterm and was paying for electric my solar would be carrying as much of the load as possible. Having the hybrid inverter would make extremely easy.

The panel shown is maybe 200w rated, so if he is lucky, he might get 1kwh per day out of it. Assuming no losses (there will be losses), that's about $0.15 per day saved (feel free to update with your local rates but it's still nothing).

Even with your very large 1300w system, you are looking at something around 5-7kwh, so maybe $1/day. How much do those fancy hybrid inverters that can mesh with shore power run?
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
larry cad wrote:
Regarding the meth lab, I think I'll go up to the office and see if I can move, like far, far away!
That small of a solar setup wouldn't power much of anything, let alone a heat plate. But I'll recognize the humor!
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

larry_cad
Explorer
Explorer
ndrorder wrote:
There is a meter loop on the pedestal. Perhaps he has a deal where he pays for the 120V he uses. Or, he is just trying to save the park some money because he has the solar to help - a little.

Oooor, he uses the solar to power a small heat plate for the Ranger Bob Mobile Meth Lab.

Nope. Electric is included in the site price, except for annual users and his is not an annual site.

Now, saving the park some money, that's one that didn't occur to me.

Regarding the meth lab, I think I'll go up to the office and see if I can move, like far, far away!
Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Could have a separate battery for his TV and this is how he charges it.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
larry cad wrote:
The panels magically move to take in the sun, but I'm not sure how.
Nothing in that picture gives any indication they can move by themselves.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Itinerant1
Explorer
Explorer
If I were in a campground longterm and was paying for electric my solar would be carrying as much of the load as possible. Having the hybrid inverter would make extremely easy.
12v 500ah, 20 cells_ 4s5p (GBS LFMP battery system). 8 CTI 160 watt panels (1,280 watts)2s4p,Panels mounted flat. Magnum PT100 SCC, Magnum 3012 hybrid inverter, ME-ARC 50. Installed 4/2016 been on 24/7/365, daily 35-45% DOD 2,500+ partial cycles.

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
CA Traveler wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:
Unless there is something faulty in his onboard electrical system...there is no point to it.

Engine battery doesn't need solar to stay charged and it's simpler and more reliable to have a connection to the charging system for the house batteries with a disconnect.
It's actually common for the chassis battery to not be charged from the house charger. Then there is battery self discharge and perhaps loads that can't be switched off as supplied by the mfg.

And while an alternate charging method might be simplier we would then be denied the fun of responding to this thread.

I would consider a starter battery with loads that can't be shut off to be a faulty system...at least if they are large enough to discharge the battery in under a week. If the battery is simply self discharging in under a week...again, something is faulty.

If he's parked long term, much simpler to run a line to the charger with a disconnect switch and turn that on for a few hours every so often as opposed to setting up and moving a solar array several times a day as indicated.

So other than to play with a new toy to see what it does, it serves no practical purpose.

Of course, there is the fun of discussing...but I doubt that's why the guy set up the solar array. ๐Ÿ˜‰
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

ndrorder
Explorer
Explorer
There is a meter loop on the pedestal. Perhaps he has a deal where he pays for the 120V he uses. Or, he is just trying to save the park some money because he has the solar to help - a little.

Oooor, he uses the solar to power a small heat plate for the Ranger Bob Mobile Meth Lab.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II