Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spongy Kwikee Series 32 steps

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
Repaired and Reinstalled****

Well I got it repaired. It wasn’t, and yet it was easy, figuring out how to start was a real pain, not sure I wanted to do it all by myself, actually doing the work was easy.

In order to find out what was broken or damaged it quickly became obvious that I had to remove the steps. Lets define steps and stairs, the steps were made by Kwikee and attached to the stairs made by Winnebago. Steps are outside, Stairs are inside.

First off, I know and understand all the precautions that need to be observed, both electrical and mechanical. Safety First. Okay!

You can see in the first picture where the bolt pulling through the plate had torn the metal in three places. Using the floor jack I pushed the bent metal back to as close to flat as possible. Because I could not put a backup plate above the mounting plate, I put one below it. I chose a piece of 3/16 “ steel and using threaded inserts I bolted it up against the bottom of the mounting plate. On the left side of the plate the rear bolt was still ok and front bolt’s hole was still in place after bending the steel back in place, I cut a 1.25” hole with a hole saw and put a new bolt with a heavy washer through from above. I also made a plate for the right side. I drilled holes in the backup plate and bolted them on each side, then I drilled three more holes through both the step’s frame and the mounting plate. I enlarged the holes in the mounting plate and installed three 3/8 – 16 threaded inserts. This provided five bolts to hold the backing plate in place and distribute the weight of the steps over a larger area. I just drilled one new hole and threaded insert on the right side, as sort of a precaution.

In retrospect, I guess I could have done away with the 3/16 backing plate but it made me feel better.

Okay, so now the stairs can be reinstalled in the RV. Being alone and working laying partly on my driveway approach and partly on the street, nothing is level(except the RV) and with the step weighing about 75 pounds they are going to be hard to raise and align laying on my back. I glued the 3/16 plated in place so I didn’t have to worry about them, installed some 3/8 – 16 all thread into a insert on each side. Placed the retracted steps on some plywood and partially unfolded them to raise them so they were about 3 “ under the mounting bolts. I then very carefully and in very small increments lowered the RV until the all thread went through the mounting holes and installed a nut on each one and then raised the RV back up into a level position.

Now the steps are hanging under the RV by the all thread and there was room enough to put the floor jack and some 2 by dunnage against the step’s mounting plate and raise it by jacking it up, tightening the nuts on the all thread, jacking a little more and tightening nuts. It took a little while but eventually I got it up to a point where I could install the nuts on the original bolts and bolts into the threaded inserts and tighten them up, remove the all thread and then insert bolts in those holes. So I was able to remount the steps without having to raise and hold them up and put the nuts or bolts in place. The jack did the heavy lifting.

I will admit that I went through the entire procedure two more times while the steps were in place, just to assure myself I hadn’t forgotten anything. After checking the torque on all four nuts and the four new bolts, two times and counting and checking the remaining nuts and washers to make sure they were all there and in good shape, I reinstalled the complete IGML assembly, hooked up the electrical and the linkage to the steps, I tested the steps for proper operation.

I have included several pictures for illustration of the various steps and hope they clear up any lack in the narrative. Sorry the post is so long but I didn’t want to leave the basic steps out.

Torm mounting hole

The big hole allowed access for replacement bolt, other holes for inserts, one insert in place

Tools needed to install insert, insert on tool

Holes drilled in step, left side

Hole drilled in step right side

Step ready to install, note all threads

Steps held up by nuts on all thread

Steps in place with all thread still in place

The new bolts and the original bolt and nut

The new bolts and the nut on bolt installed from above

Steps installed, double checked and operated, left in extended position

Found the problem! Bud was close but the sheet metal that tore is flat. Tomorrow I will go get a piece of 3" x 3/16" flat weldable stock and fix the problem. I just took off the rear nut on the left side that was solid and that allowed the one side to drop enough for me to see the problem. Steps off tomorrow, paint, repair the mounting assembly and reinstall on Monday.

We just returned from a six week trip and while we were gone the outside steps started sagging on one corner and are spongy. I got out the wrenches and tried to tighten the mounting bolts and three of the four were tight, the forth was a little lose, maybe a ¼ turn. That did nothing.

The steps are mounted to a steel box that contains the battery well and forms the steps in the stairwell(interior steps) and provides the location for mounting the steps. The steps(exterior) are Kwikee Series 32 with two steps. The rig is a 2002 Winnie 32V.

I have looked at the part of the box where the steps are mounted, there does not appear to be any rust and the heads of the mounting bolts are not visible. The box appears to have solid sheet steel sides and I cannot find any opening.

The bottom is clearly visible except for the area covered by the step mounting plate as are the side. The stair treads are sheet steel and are not removable. I do not know how to look inside and see what the problem is with the one mounting bolt.

The bolts are tight and have approximately the same amount of thread exposed so to me it shows that all four bolts still go through the material the box is made of but that somehow seems to have torn away from the box where the bolt is supposed to support the corner that is spongy.

I have searched all of my data sheets, Winnebagoind.com and LCI as well as Google and YouTube, no help at all. As far as I know Winnebago does not publish their structural plans and will not look up the information I need. Has anyone here had to repair the step to chassis mounting or replaced the steps in a similar model?
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II
8 REPLIES 8

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
Not a repair, but all the recent "Step Talk" plus two failures on our 32 Series, led me to something like this:

Ours has round "feet" with a pin adjustment then the screw for final.
Tried little blocks for awhile and tired of keeping track of the "Tinker Toys." The little support I bought wasn't much over $10.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have the same spongy steps and think it is just worn linkages. There is a steel rod that goes through the top linkage on the aft side of the steps that cracked around the hole. I reinforced it with an 1/8 in. thick piece of angle iron. This hole had a lot of wear, which caused it to eventually crack.

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
Most likely your problem is where the bolt attaches at the threads. (which you probably can't see) It could be the bolt itself or the mounting on the chassis. My Southwind Class A had a similar issue and I had to reinforce the area around the battery box. Unfortunately you may need to remove the steps and the mounting frame to get a clearer view of location where the bolts mount to the frame.

The front wheel tends to throw dirt/debris/water right at that area on my rig. Over the years, having an occasional bath in battery acid doesn't help either.

Chum lee

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I had to take it loose from the floor to gain access to the bolts holding the factory Z bar in place. It was used as a spacer to slightly lower step assembly.
Bolts through the floor were carriage bolts sunk into the base floor material.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen, if I could see the head of the bolt, I would be able to see the cause and figure out how to fix it, however, the heads of all four bolts are inside a steel box. From what I can see the steel box does not have any removable panels.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
shelbyfv wrote:
Are these the same steps as the ones in this other thread? https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/29632676.cfm

Yes they are the same steps but this is a new and totally different problem. The loose rivet has been replaced and I posted that a day or two ago. I started a new thread so that it would not be confusing.

David Bishop
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

shelbyfv
Explorer
Explorer
Are these the same steps as the ones in this other thread? https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/29632676.cfm

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
On my Fleetwood but very similar issue.
Mine had a peice of light weight sheet metal bent into a Z on each end of the step mounting assembly. It was not strong enough and tore in the corners. I had a heavier peice of sheet metal bent in the same shape.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker