cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

stairs

flathead92
Explorer
Explorer
Who else is over the steps that you have to lift in and out of RV what a joke cant get in untill to drop steps wth is thinking this is a good thing?
48 REPLIES 48

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Tracking in dirt from shoes is normal and cannot be 100 % avoided.
Bringing in dirt that accumulates on the stairs themselves is not typical can be 100% avoided with a different set of steps.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well, no matter what, we seem to track in a lot of dirt and gravel. We have the GlowSteps, as I mentioned above. And they stay outside -- they are mounted below the door.

But we boondock in messy places -- ice, snow, mud, you name it. So we keep a boot cleaner near the front door, and a stiff whisk broom, and an astro-turf welcome mat.

None of that stuff works perfectly, but we can fool ourselves into thinking that we are doing our best to hold back the mess.

When it gets really bad, we have to take our boots off before coming thru the door. Like the time we somehow ended up in a cow pasture . . . .
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Cptnvideo wrote:
Bravo, Grit Dog. My favorite is the dumping of dirt into the RV. Apparently they either don't have a broom or the few seconds it takes to use one.

It's not about sweeping up the mess. It's about avoiding the mess in the first place.
Let's see, should I get the steps that brings dirt inside the RV or should I get the set that remains entirely outside?
That is not a hard decision.
Should I get the fridge that leaks a little bit, its not hard to wipe up. Or should I get one that does not leak at all.
Now to some degree the fridge example seems absurd. Of course you don't want a fridge that leaks.
That's how many feel about stairs that store inside and bring dirt, water and debris inside.
Correct Trax,Splendide

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cptnvideo wrote:
Bravo, Grit Dog. My favorite is the dumping of dirt into the RV. Apparently they either don't have a broom or the few seconds it takes to use one.
Yeah, that mud just brushes right off. ๐Ÿ™‚

Face it, some of us hate them with a passion, because they're a PIA. You like them. Shoot, you could have mine if I could replace them easily.

But really, the worst thing about them is if you can't put the steps down, you can't get into your trailer. Smart engineering.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Cptnvideo
Nomad
Nomad
Bill & Linda, 2019 Ram Laramie 3500 dually 4x4 diesel, Hensley BD5 hitch, 2022 Grand Design Solitude 378MBS, 1600 watts solar, Victron 150/100 MPPT controller, GoPower 3kw inverter/charger, 5 SOK 206AH LFP batteries for 1030 ah

austinjenna
Explorer
Explorer
When they first came out a lot of folks were happy because of the added stability they gave them. I know my wifes first thought after seeing them was - So isn't all the dirt/rain etc going to go inside the camper?

My first thought was that I would never be able to use them at the storage yard being in close proximity to the trailer next to me. I just figured if I ever bought a new trailer like that I would need to have them swapped out.

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

mhsmith
Explorer
Explorer
We purchased a 19 Flagstaff 29RKWS in 2020, but before we finalized the sale, we had to buy additional steps with one handrail and purchased a second to allow my wife to be able to get in and out. We bought a 5 step add-on which works well. Currently trying to come up with a way to mount them permanently so I don't have to go through unloading/loading them from the cargo compartment...not getting any younger. While made of aluminum, they are still somewhat heavy. The fold in the door steps are nice, but no easy or solid way to attach handrails. We have a three step, but if 5 could be placed in the same space, that may work well for us but unable to locate a 5 step. Don't know how to add a pic, below is where we purchased them.

http://rv-co.com

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Durb, that is a clever solution -- I did not know that the GlowSteps could be used as a ladder.
About our trailer

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
profdant139 wrote:
John, that was a great write-up on the GlowSteps -- well done!

For whatever it is worth, I am also a happy GlowSteps camper -- we do a lot of boondocking in rough country, and the GlowSteps can cope with difficult situations.

But if I understand the OP's situation correctly, I'm not sure that GlowSteps would solve the problem of a very narrow site, with the bottom of the step an inch from a block wall. I don't know of any steps that would handle that issue.

With the Glowsteps, you can push them close to the trailer in an emergency and use them almost like a ladder. Use the upper 3 notch adjustment to make sure the rungs are level. They will protrude a lot less than fold down steps. Emergency use only as I wouldn't considering the limited rung surface as being desirable, but you can get into the trailer virtually anywhere.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
John, that was a great write-up on the GlowSteps -- well done!

For whatever it is worth, I am also a happy GlowSteps camper -- we do a lot of boondocking in rough country, and the GlowSteps can cope with difficult situations.

But if I understand the OP's situation correctly, I'm not sure that GlowSteps would solve the problem of a very narrow site, with the bottom of the step an inch from a block wall. I don't know of any steps that would handle that issue.
About our trailer

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
Nv Guy wrote:
Gooma wrote:
To each there own. Ours has the fold out steps and both DW and I love them. Much more stable than the fold out kind. I am never so rushed I can't spend a few minutes adjusting the steps or cleaning them off when packing up.
If you don't like 'em don't get 'em.

In our case, when the 5th wheel is home we don't have the room to use them.

It's not a matter of "to each his own, adjusting, etc." -..:S

As the poster states above: "when the fifth wheel is home we don't have the room to use them" (whether we like the design or not).

House on one side - block wall on the other side. Approx 36" avail on each side. Even with the 3-step fold out - bottom step is about one to two inches from side of house or block wall.

~

JBarca
Nomad II
Nomad II
Cptnvideo wrote:
I'm not familiar with the Glow steps, but if they store outside, it likely requires a modification of the outside of my RV. And why would I want to try something else when I'm perfectly happy with what I have?

Hi,

I am not trying to talk you out of your Mor-Ryde steps, Mor-Ryde makes good products. I want to show you what the Glow Step is, as FYI, and for those following along.

We had a very good and solidly mounted 3-step fold-out set of Hickey Springs folding steps made in 2003. The mounting frame was bolted to the floor where an outrigger was, and the bottom of the step frame was welded to the main frame rail. Between the floor mount, the main frame rail mount, and the fact the steps themselves were made of rigid steel, they worked well for most of our camping situations.

Our floor plan (rear living area) has the main entrance door at the back. We camp a lot on lakefront campsites that are a downhill back in to get to the site. To level out the camper, the nose of the camper is almost touching the ground, and the back wall is 3 feet off the ground. In this case, I need a 4th step, and I have wrestled with how to deal with uneven ground.

The 4th freestanding step, with four legs, was solid, but the uneven ground required a shim under one or two feet. After a few days of walking on it, the shim wiggles out, and the step is unstable. I came down the steps and almost went tumbling, then a day later, my wife did on that last step. That did it for me; I need to change this before one of us breaks a leg or worse.

The Mor-Ryde step was an option, but in our case, even though the legs could extend to the ground, the long, deeper last step had to be filled with something, and I am back to the same problem. I need a 4th step. Doing a 13 to 15" one-step rise at the bottom is not good coming down. This leads me to Tork-lift, which makes truck camper steps. They have a 4 to 5-foot gap to bridge, and they do it well. They offer a set of steps for 5'ers and TT's.

Here is how mine integrated. This may not work if you do not have the older style fold-out steps or the ability to cut the fender skit on the camper.

The older steps before conversion

The new Glow Step install. I took out the steps and left the heavy rigid frame in place.

Install a 4 step Glow Step

They have a lever on the side; you have three heights on the top step if you must lower the steps as the camper is way high at the step area. And you can push them in to make them shorter. And there are 2 feet adjusted to the ground.

Here was the campsite that we love to camp at, and it was the last straw to have to do something with the entry steps. This was the summer of 2017.

A closer look at the separate 4th step. You can see how much wood is under the stabilizers to level the camper.

Here is the summer of 2018 after the Glow Steps install. To date, this has solved all our 4th step issues, and they are a very solid step with the 2 feet to the ground. This is not a cheap upgrade but worth it for us.

Hope this helps

John
2005 Ford F350 Super Duty, 4x4; 6.8L V10 with 4.10 RA, 21,000 GCWR, 11,000 GVWR, upgraded 2 1/2" Towbeast Receiver. Hitched with a 1,700# Reese HP WD, HP Dual Cam to a 2004 Sunline Solaris T310R travel trailer.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Cptnvideo wrote:
I'm not familiar with the Glow steps, but if they store outside, it likely requires a modification of the outside of my RV. And why would I want to try something else when I'm perfectly happy with what I have?

I believe they now make a set that will replace what you have with no modifications.
https://www.torklift.com/rv/glowstep-revolution-uprising
Correct Trax,Splendide

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
Grit dog wrote:

Fat people will complain the fold out steps are too spongy.

hey leave me out of this ๐Ÿ™‚

to me if your a snow bird who goes to some place for long periods at a time these are the perfect stairs, if your 2 nights here two nights there in dirt and sandy sites, they would drive me nuts.

on my 5th I have a tripple fold out steps, and when I am leveled they are rock solid and I never have to worry about the level of the ground and how they will sit.

like you, after 4 years of putting my camper steps in the camper, Im over that noise. trying to figure out a rear platform or somthing now if I am keeping this older camper. just need to find a set of electric jacks for cheep and I'll be set haha.

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100