cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Three-pronged plugs

salem
Explorer
Explorer
Seems as though every time I need a three-pronged plug all of mine have sprouted legs and ran off. So, the other day I picked up a few more at the store. None of them seem to fit my cords. The blades will not go in all the way. Are there different sizes of three-pronged plugs and I happened to grab the wrong sizes?
31 REPLIES 31

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
What is a "three prong plug"?

This is just another goofy/typical thread.

THAT explains it!!! Thanks :B

Merry Christmas

Well "A Dremel"

I have some double insulated stuff. All plastic case. NO exposed electrical conductive surfaces NONE ZIP NADA and what is more they operarte on 12 volts ac via a transformer.

And have 3 prong grounding plugs I need to plug into a non-polarized outlet.. So I used a Dremel on the adapter to make it fit.

How to do it is obvious. I have 3 hand grinders
one is. I believe a genuine Dremel (Or Craftsmen but made to Dremel specs) one Roby (Or is it Robi) and one battery operated. They work rather well. Very handy tools. I also have some heavy duty versions of the same (Angle grinder. Air Grinder and the like)

If you ever listen to the song "If I Were A Carpenter" (Among other artists Mr and Mrs Cash) I've done basically every job in the song (only instead of "Tinker" Which I've done on the hobby level it was Machinist for a couple months)

In addition: Mechanic (Small engine though I've worked on larger ones) Certified electronics electrician.. and novice 3-D printer.

And with all that I get paid.> Because for over 25 years I told cops where to go (Retired dispatcher)..

Most of those jobs were in my youth (Small engine and Machinist was mid 20s) and I grew up on a combined Dairy/Swine farm.. where my mother taught me to cook..

ON a small "Family" farm .. You learn a lot of jobs.
And on a Dairy/Swine farm you shovel a lot of political promises
(Both Parties) (No I won't say which is Swine (Stinks more))
(and yes.. that's a joke).
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
A pic would be nice!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Grit dog wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

THAT explains it!!! Thanks :B

Merry Christmas
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

larry_cad
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
Dremel will "Modify" the neutral blade if you need to do it.

Seriously??

:S
Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Is this what you are talking about
https://www.amazon.com/EATON-419GY-125-Volt-Grounding-Adapter/dp/B000H5QZ9S/ref=asc_df_B000H5QZ9S/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=193994910693&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=7822169822213890949&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9017024&hvtargid=pla-309396144231&psc=1

Old ones Like 1960 old the two prongs were the same size.. Old 2 slot outlets often the same.. Modern ones the "neutral" side is wider and won't go into a non-polarized outlet This is a safety thing.

Dremel will "Modify" the neutral blade if you need to do it.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
If your talking about wall outlets, the newer "childproof" outlets are a royal PITA, it requires the blades to be plugged in uniformally so that the neutral blade opens the cover on to the hot side.

Could this be a reason for the falling birth rate?
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
salem wrote:
fj12ryder: My extension cords are probably several years old. I didn't realize some of the blades had changed sizes. Maybe that's my problem, I need newer cords.

blade and plug sizes haven't change in over 50+ years. Sometime in the 1950's or maybe earlier they went from two prongs of equal width to "polarized" plugs, one prong wider than the other. With the non polarized plugs it was and still is possible for the hot and neutral to be reversed on the device plugged in. you could plug it in either way.

AFAIK all the 3 prong "adapters" or extensions are polarized as well so that the common polarized non grounded plug will work with them.

I have and have run across a few two prong non polarized 1 to 3 adapters

There are still a very few non polarized cords around, christmas tree light cords are one such application. the vast majority are non polarized.

If your talking about wall outlets, the newer "childproof" outlets are a royal PITA, it requires the blades to be plugged in uniformally so that the neutral blade opens the cover on to the hot side.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
They must have a NEMA number to be approved either by UL or CSA.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

salem
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12v98: It's an adapter plug for an outlet that does not require three blades.

salem
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder: My extension cords are probably several years old. I didn't realize some of the blades had changed sizes. Maybe that's my problem, I need newer cords.

salem
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen: These are made in China, which as far as I know is not a NEMA member. Maybe that's the problem.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Cummins12V98 wrote:

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
How old are the cords? Are they grounded and polarized?

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
What type of three prong plugs?
Yes, some vary by amperage depending on style.
Post the NEMA number on the plugs or package.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker