cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Timken bearings...when would you repack?

Learjet
Explorer
Explorer
Installing the Titan Disc brakes on my trailer, using Timken bearings and Mobil 1 synthetic grease....here is my question for y'all

Since I don't have to pull the hubs to check brakes, I used Timken bearings and good synthetic grease...when should I repack again?

More info, Trailer is garage kept and used at least monthly.

What say you??
2017 Ram Big Horn, DRW Long Box, 4x4, Cummins, Aisin, 3.73
2022 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, Onan 5500, Disc Brakes, 17.5" tires
B&W Ram Companion
29 REPLIES 29

Learjet
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
Changing pads after 16,000 miles. Is that normal for disc brakes?

The Titan 12" disc brakes pads are the same size pad used on the front of a 1980-90 Buick Skylark...yet they are stopping a 12,000 lbs trailer...so I guess they don't last as long....makes sense to me.

I have read 20,000 miles or so is the normal...but of course that depends on weight of trailer and how often you use the brakes....they are easy to change though.
B&W Ram Companion

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Changing pads after 16,000 miles. Is that normal for disc brakes?
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Learjet
Explorer
Explorer
Learjet wrote:
Installing the Titan Disc brakes on my trailer, using Timken bearings and Mobil 1 synthetic grease....here is my question for y'all

Since I don't have to pull the hubs to check brakes, I used Timken bearings and good synthetic grease...when should I repack again?

More info, Trailer is garage kept and used at least monthly.

What say you??

I'm going to answer my own question 2 years and 4 months later. LOL

After 16,000 miles since the conversion, brakes were 80% worn...so I'm changing pads.

Grease looked OK...I did find one outer bearing that had one roller wearing on the outer edge of the roller...so I will replace it.

I'm thinking I checked and repacked at the right time. ๐Ÿ™‚
B&W Ram Companion

ernie1
Explorer
Explorer
Okay, makes sense to me so the next time it's going to the Mobil1 Synthetic. Thanks guys!

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
ernie1 wrote:
Slightly off subject but was wondering if Mobil 1 Synthetic or any synthetic grease is the best stuff to use for these bearings? Been using Moly SO2 and have wondered about this stuff.
I always see a minimum dropping point as a main specification.
Mobil 1 seems to exceed all of them.

Learjet
Explorer
Explorer
ernie1 wrote:
Slightly off subject but was wondering if Mobil 1 Synthetic or any synthetic grease is the best stuff to use for these bearings? Been using Moly SO2 and have wondered about this stuff.

Don't know how much this matters...But Dexter list Mobil 1 as an approved grease in their literature. Not why I use it, but just FYI.
B&W Ram Companion

ernie1
Explorer
Explorer

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
OK that is just defective parts. You could pack weekly and they still fail.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
Was that the OEM pack? If it lasted 10 months it was not done right.

No, I did the service and did it right. I measured and tested the faulty bearings in my tool & die shop and found the angles to be out of tolerance, the finish to be poor and the metal to be substandard.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Was that the OEM pack? If it lasted 10 months it was not done right.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
The first repack is the most important. As I said above once you know the pack is done correctly it should last the life of the pads or shoes. OK if the trailer is sitting a few years accumulating rust maybe take one off to inspect.

But mine lasted 10 months and 11,000 miles, brakes were like new. Unlike the bearings from yesteryear, we now have cheap junk.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
The first repack is the most important. As I said above once you know the pack is done correctly it should last the life of the pads or shoes. OK if the trailer is sitting a few years accumulating rust maybe take one off to inspect.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Do whatever makes you happy. Five of my eight cheap Chinese bearings were spent in 11,000 miles, caught the problem just in time. Replaced the junk with Timken USA bearings from Summit Racing. I don't understand the problem about availability, mine came to the door via UPS.

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
Dang, am I seeing a trend here in that you do not need to repack wheel bearings all the time on campers?

I have felt that way for years. How often do utility trailer bearings get packed. I did mine at 14 years and they did not need it then, :h