cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Towing Camper with A/C Running.

Scubydg
Explorer
Explorer
Letโ€™s say we just got to the campsite. Started setting up the site and realized how hot it was inside the camper. The question is, in a travel trailer with no generator, can I run the A/C while Iโ€™m driving? It sure would be a lot easier on my wife while setting up camp
31 REPLIES 31

okhmbldr
Explorer
Explorer
It really depends on how bad you really want to cool down the trailer. One option I did for my boat about 10 years ago; I took it down the Arkansas River from Sallisaw, OK, to the Mississippi River. It was July, and very hot. I had a portable 12,000 btu A/C but no real way to power it on the boat. So, I bought a really good battery, hooked it up to a 2000/4000 watt inverter and did a test with it hooked up to the battery/inverter for power. It ran about 6 hours before the battery couldnโ€™t power the A/C, but it was perfect for my purpose because it was long enough to cool off the cabin and make sleeping comfortable.
During the day as I traveled the river I had a set of cables that recharged the battery so I could have some cooling each night.
So, if that would work for you, just stop a few hours before you reach your destination, turn on the battery power and cool it down a little.
Note: it worked for me, your mileage may vary.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
If solving the problem is a high priority, invest in a 48v LiFe battery bank and inverter ... start the AC 30-60 minutes before you arrive to your site. Looking at maybe $4000 for a basic setup.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
When we first arrive we're outside mostly, setting up chairs, unloading wood, tying the dog, setting up grill.

Otherwise we just sweat a little.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
midnightsadie wrote:
going down the road all the air will be sucked out, bad idea any way.

Only if the vents are open, which now has been mentioned as a way keep the interior cooler.
We run furnace when traveling I cold weather so the 5er is warm when we arrive. Trailers are not air sieves.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

freetime58
Explorer
Explorer
Install a MaxxAir Maxxfan, they run on 12v, they can be used while traveling and have a 10 speed fan that can be used as an intake or used to exhaust. You can exhaust hot air while travelling, exhaust hot air once you arrive, crack a window and turn the fan on for a few minutes to rid the unit of hot air and then crank the AC.

These fans move a lot of air! Wouldn't leave home without them

https://www.airxcel.com/rv/maxxair/products/fans/maxxfan-deluxe

bazar01
Explorer
Explorer
+1 for opening roof vents.
How about cracking the front and rear window open to promote air flow inside the camper if weather permits?

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Get the covers for the roof vents and then leave the vents open while driving. That will suck most of the hot air out.

So on a 90F day, rather than starting at 120F inside, it's pretty close to 90F when you arrive and will cool down much quicker.

Another alternative is when you arrive, open all the window and hatches to flush out the hot air. The downside to this is the walls, furniture, cabinets will be at 120F, so they will radiate heat back into the interior resulting in longer for the air/con to catch up.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

1995brave
Nomad
Nomad
Back when i had a camper we would get to the site and set up. I would then turn on the air conditioning and we would go out and do some food shopping and pick up some bait for fishing. When we got back to the camper it was nice and cool.

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
I don't know, I think I would prefer a hot wife. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Seriously though the only thing I can think is to maybe plug in and start the AC the minute you get to camp. Then get back in the car and go get some lunch somewhere while the trailer is cooling down.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
After arriving at the CG leave her in the TV with its A/C running until you get the trailer cool. Happy wife Happy life.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
going down the road all the air will be sucked out, bad idea any way.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you are towing in the heat and expect to arrive stuck in a hot box it is best to plan some other outside the trailer activity. Depending on the conditions the trailer may not fully cool until the sun goes down. Good time for pool or water, going out to dinner, take walk someplace in the shade.

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
You can try and cover any skylights and such while driving. I do it because my used TT came with the stuff. Im sure it would help a little.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

Scubydg
Explorer
Explorer
@A1A.... thatโ€™s what I was wondering, but it seems without space or budgeted money, itโ€™s a nonissue at this point

Scubydg
Explorer
Explorer
Doesnโ€™t sound efficient either way.. I donโ€™t have the space or money for a generator with inverter... I guess Iโ€™m stuck with a โ€œHot Wifeโ€... That canโ€™t be too bad... or can it?