cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Transition to Dish from DirecTV?

Hiking_Hunter
Explorer
Explorer
I'm considering moving to Dish from DirecTV, but have a question.

A little background: I've been on DirecTV for many years using an 18" dish with SD. I have no problem at all aligning the dish and can usually do it in less than 5 minutes. I've never had a problem finding "holes" in the tree canopy and I am able to hit the 101 satellite 99.5% of the time, although in some locations I have to extend my coax out for more than 100 feet. My receivers are MPEG4 capable for whatever DirecTV does in the future with the 101 satellite.

I'm looking at the Winegard Pathway X2 (if I go to Dish Network) which has a recommended max cable length of 50 ft. I need two outputs from the dish.

My questions are for those of you who have gone from DirecTV SD using a manually set up dish to Dish Network using a Pathway X2 or something similar: Do you find that the lower elevation of the Dish satellites cause a problem finding a path to see the satellites? I'm in the Southeast, so the elevation would be as low as 37 degrees. Do you find that the 50 foot limitation in the Pathway X2 cable length a limitation? The requirement for Dish HD to see three satellites would require a larger "hole" in the trees. Has this been a limitation?

I don't mind staying with DirecTV and SD (as long as it lasts) if I have to to get better coverage, but would rather move to Dish.
Amateur Radio WA4GIY
2015 Montana High Country 305RL
2013 RAM 3500 4x4, crew cab, long bed, 6.7 CTD, Aisin trans.
CGVW 20460 Lbs.
4 REPLIES 4

Hiking_Hunter
Explorer
Explorer
lryrob9301 wrote:
First, if you go with the Winegard Pathway X2 you can use the Eastern arc satellites 61.5, 72.7,& 77 as well as the Western arc. These sats will not pose any low elevation problems any where east of the Mississippi river. I have used my Pathway X2 all up the east coast into Nova Scotia and PEI Canada without a problem. When I go west I switch to the Western arc satellites 110, 119,& 129.
Second, I have used the X2 with as much as 125' of low loss RG6 cabling with no problems.

Good information, especially the length of coax. Thanx!
Amateur Radio WA4GIY
2015 Montana High Country 305RL
2013 RAM 3500 4x4, crew cab, long bed, 6.7 CTD, Aisin trans.
CGVW 20460 Lbs.

lryrob9301
Explorer
Explorer
First, if you go with the Winegard Pathway X2 you can use the Eastern arc satellites 61.5, 72.7,& 77 as well as the Western arc. These sats will not pose any low elevation problems any where east of the Mississippi river. I have used my Pathway X2 all up the east coast into Nova Scotia and PEI Canada without a problem. When I go west I switch to the Western arc satellites 110, 119,& 129.
Second, I have used the X2 with as much as 125' of low loss RG6 cabling with no problems.

Community Alumni
Not applicable
I have a Winegard Carryout 2 with Dish, and the short coax cable can be a hindrance at times. I'm in the Southwest and Dish uses satellites 110, 119 and 129. 129 carries most of the HD channels, however, 129 is the lowest satellite in the sky and the weakest. If you have room in your RV, I would recommend keeping the 18" antenna and use it when the Pathway can't be used.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
For reference the 3 DTV birds are close.

2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob