cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tripping solar panel breaker

EMD360
Explorer
Explorer
Last fall I installed two Solarland 180w PERC panels. I had ordered three 100 watt but changed my mind and bought the two 180’s. Unfortunately I didn’t resize my order for the panel breaker which is 15 amps. The 100 watt panels were rated for five amps each but these are at 9.42 each. So now that we are getting really sunny days my panel breaker is tripping. I thought ok I’ll have to replace it with a 20. But I was watching the power when I was trouble shooting and thought I might have briefly seen more than 20 amps. Would a 30 amp fuse of these two panels be too high? The MPPT controlller is Victron. The system side breaker is 40 amps.
2018 Minnie Winnie 25b New to us 3/2021
Former Rental Owners Club #137
2003 Itasca Spirit 22e 2009-2021
23 REPLIES 23

EMD360
Explorer
Explorer
Just reporting that the upgrade to a 30 amp breaker on the panel side worked. But of course the amps I was reading were below 15 when tested.

Housted
Explorer III
Explorer III
StirCrazy wrote:
EMD360 wrote:
2oldman wrote:
I don't know why you have to fuse panels.

Apparently you don’t if wired in series. The amps are not high enough to damage the wires if there is a short circuit.
That’s what the windynation site that was shared explained.

I still did for mine, I did both the panel side and the battery side of the controler with manual tripable breakers so I can use them as a disconect if I have to do any work.

Steve

X2
2019 Forrest River Forrester 3051S 2014 Honda CRV toad.
1000 W Solar, converted to 50 amp
400 Amps of LiFePO4,3000 Watt Inverter, Refer converted with JC refrigeration unit, Sofa replaced with 2 swivel chairs, over cab bed converted to TV mount and storage

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
EMD360 wrote:
2oldman wrote:

Apparently you don’t if wired in series. The amps are not high enough to damage the wires if there is a short circuit.

I still did for mine, I did both the panel side and the battery side of the controler with manual tripable breakers so I can use them as a disconect if I have to do any work.

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
CA Traveler wrote:
StirCrazy wrote:
I am looking at changing the controler to a MPPT so I can put them in series. in parralel with a 8 ga wire you are looking at losing up to 0.38V over 10 feet, in series that would be a voltage drop of 0.19. doesnt sound like much but it adds up..
Series also has greater shade tolerance/power with panels that have bypass diodes (most have them).

My 3 series 30V panels have 3 bypass diodes, so 10V per panel section. I've seen charging at 20V increasing in 10V increments to 90V due to a leafy shade tree. ie The 20V can be from 2 different panels. Parallel would require sun on the entire panel and hence charging would occur with 1, 2 or 3 panels with sun.

yup, I know that also, was just looking at the efficiency of voltage drop in this senario. also lowering the amps on his line.
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
LittleBill wrote:
how do u find out how many bypass diodes are in a panel? I don't think I have ever seen that listed?
It should be in the specs or panel information. Opening the junction box will reveal the diodes.

It's common for 1 diode per 2 rows. So a 60 cell panel is 10x6 cells with a diode for every 10x2 section, so 3 diodes.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

EMD360
Explorer
Explorer
I could not find any reference to bypass diodes in the specs for my panels but in a general explanation of bypass diodes I read that most panels have three. They are located in the junction box on the panel. Here is the diagram of the Solarland box. I’m assuming the three sections are bypass diodes.

LittleBill
Explorer
Explorer
how do u find out how many bypass diodes are in a panel? I don't think I have ever seen that listed?

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
2oldman wrote:
Serial and 2 parallel panels don't need a fuse. 3 or more panels can cause a fire in a shorted panel and hence each panel should be fused at the combiner box to prevent excessive amps to the defective panel.

Bob

EMD360
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
EMD360 wrote:
So partial shading impacts the total power available more... So I opted for parallel wiring. Am I wrong about that?.
Depends on the panel. Bypass diodes allow for shading by shutting down that part of the panel. If no diodes are in the panel, then yes, a series setup will shut it all down.

I have 6 panels in series and I don't really notice that much of a degradation of power with partial shade. YMMV
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
StirCrazy wrote:
I am looking at changing the controler to a MPPT so I can put them in series. in parralel with a 8 ga wire you are looking at losing up to 0.38V over 10 feet, in series that would be a voltage drop of 0.19. doesnt sound like much but it adds up..
Series also has greater shade tolerance/power with panels that have bypass diodes (most have them).

My 3 series 30V panels have 3 bypass diodes, so 10V per panel section. I've seen charging at 20V increasing in 10V increments to 90V due to a leafy shade tree. ie The 20V can be from 2 different panels. Parallel would require sun on the entire panel and hence charging would occur with 1, 2 or 3 panels with sun.

Bob

EMD360
Explorer
Explorer
As I understand it series wiring means the panels have to both be working at the same efficiency to get maximum power from them. So partial shading impacts the total power available more. Most campsites have at least partial shade. So I opted for parallel wiring. Am I wrong about that? I believe I read that was the case.

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
EMD360 wrote:
Last fall I installed two Solarland 180w PERC panels. I had ordered three 100 watt but changed my mind and bought the two 180’s. Unfortunately I didn’t resize my order for the panel breaker which is 15 amps. The 100 watt panels were rated for five amps each but these are at 9.42 each. So now that we are getting really sunny days my panel breaker is tripping. I thought ok I’ll have to replace it with a 20. But I was watching the power when I was trouble shooting and thought I might have briefly seen more than 20 amps. Would a 30 amp fuse of these two panels be too high? The MPPT controlller is Victron. The system side breaker is 40 amps.

can you change the wiring to a series setup instead? this will keep your incoming amprage low but raise the voltage, so you'll be able to get a bit better efficency out of that MPPT controler. I have a old PWM controler on my three 180 watt panels on my 5th wheel and I see 22amps quite often, I am looking at changing the controler to a MPPT so I can put them in series. in parralel with a 8 ga wire you are looking at losing up to 0.38V over 10 feet, in series that would be a voltage drop of 0.19. doesnt sound like much but it adds up..

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman