cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Troubleshooting 'Domestic rm 2652' RV fridge

gkenworth
Explorer
Explorer
Fridge died on us this week. 110v, 12v, and propane supply all fine. Won't operate on any of the 3. Flue is warm. Nice blue flame. 2 fuses behind fridge are fine.
The thing that boggles my mind is that the RH side 'CHECK' light isn't lit. It has always lit up whenever there was a short supply of lpg, 110v, or 12v.
Any suggestions? Tia.
IMHO
4 REPLIES 4

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
gkenworth wrote:
Thanks. Yellow powder under boiler and a smell of ammonia. I guess after 17 yrs it's done.

RIP

17 yrs was a good run
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

gkenworth
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks. Yellow powder under boiler and a smell of ammonia. I guess after 17 yrs it's done.
IMHO

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Your fridge a 2 way meaning it can operate on 120V AC (electric element as heat source) OR on Propane (LP gas as heat source)
It does NOT have a 12V DC heat element.

It uses 12V DC for controls......panel lights, circuit board, temp control and for the propane gas valve/spark electrode

It uses the 120V AC for the electric heat element.

The 'CHECK' light comes on when the main propane flame fails to light off and prove it lit.
That is ALL that 'check' light is for.....just propane flame.

Now as to why fridge is NOT cooling........
Could be a failed cooling unit. Cracked tubing that has allowed the coolant to escape and cooling unit to loose it's pressure.
Look for any signs of 'yellow powdery' substance....especially around burner area.
IF you find any.....cooling unit is done..fridge will not cool......new cooling unit or new fridge needed.

But it could also be a bad thermistor.......temp probe on far right fin in food section

Could be bad thermostat....part of controls

Could be blocked/obstructed air flow/draft across cooling unit

Could be due to being operated OFF-Level' and cooling unit has overheated....which eventually leads to cooling unit failure.

Obvious you don't have a good concept of how fridge works based on your posting that "flue is warm , nice blue flame----won't operate on any 3"

SO it would be worth the few dollars to have an RV Tech check out your fridge

If don;t want to spend the $$

Disconnect thermistor........run fridge on electric heater element for 12 hrs.
Food section will cool way down OR fridge cooling unit will overheat
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
If the fridge has been running on propane for at least 12 hours and the flue is nice and warm, but the freezer is not cold then it is time to replace the fridge. The system has sprung a leak and can not pressure up so the condenser and evaporator will not work properly
The check light would not come on because the control board thinks it is still operating properly.