cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Troubleshooting Norcold 6162 Frig

bradyfehr
Explorer
Explorer
My frig was working great, went away for 3 weeks and upon return - nothing! It has 120v. I thought it might be the power board so bought new one, still nada. don't care about the gas side, trailer is parked.

Seems that all is left is the thermistor and the Eye board.

Any ideas?
14 REPLIES 14

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
We are really guessing until the OP determines whether he has 12 volts DC to the refer.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Eyebrow connectors do NOT come loose IF you have never messed with it. Doug

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Oh if the eyebrow (The lights inside above the thing) do not come on ...
Pull eyebrow out and find the big multi-pin connector. Unplug and replug several times.
Then go outside find the control board (mine was o
n the left) and do the same thing several times.. Try again.

Yeah on my new board I was ready to send it back but I tried to push that ribbon cable into the connector, one last time, and got it to go in a little further, then it worked. I can't say push hard since you can't push hard on that floppy cable but push firmly anyway
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
There is also a heat element.. To test.
Locate the heater.. find the wires to it and parallel an indicator (small light bulb or AC volt meter) I won't go into how to do that.

Fire the sucker up
Light come on meter show 120 Odds are the element is toast Resistance measurement of the element is diagnostic.

NO light/voltage. Control board or bad connection or blown fuse or bad cord/socket (plug in a lamp or drop light to test) or .. Well long list.

Oh if the eyebrow (The lights inside above the thing) do not come on ...
Pull eyebrow out and find the big multi-pin connector. Unplug and replug several times.
Then go outside find the control board (mine was on the left) and do the same thing several times.. Try again.

Finally.. ON MY Dometic there was a terminal board (no electronics just a fuse or two and wires) dead center bottom outside RIGHT UNDER THE BLASTED DRIP TUBE.

This tube is supposed to go out a vent hole so it drip, drip, drips on the ground. NOT left inside to drip,drip,drip on that board but .. well.. (I fixed it twice)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
If you insist on replacing parts, you will end up with a lot of money spent and still no operation.
1. Your Model has a HI HUMIDITY switch, usually between the Lower and upper Freezer doors. THAT switch usually corrodes out after a number of years. It has a ON with Humidity heat strip ON and ON with the Humidity strip OFF. with a MIDDLE stop. IF that switch corrodes out and the UP or Down does NOT send the 12 volt signal, the Refer appears DEAD. MOST common fault on Old this type model Norcold. You bypass or replace the switch.
2. Until you get a Volt meter and verify that you DO have 12 volts on the back side 12 volt input wire, you are spinning your wheels. If NO 12 volt on that wire, you have a 12 volt fuse at the fuse panel for the RV bad.
3. HAVING 120 AT THE REAR RECEPTACLE MEANS NOTHING. The refer controls operate from the 12 volts of the RV. Doug

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
enblethen wrote:
No lights would indicate no 12 volt DC. 12 volt DC is used for all the controls.
See page 9-10
Manual
There should be fuse on circuit board.

It does a glass cartridge fuse there is also a thermal breaker on the stack. And if it's 120V problem you need to check the main panel breaker too. I have a model 821 tho.
Superbumper

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
No lights would indicate no 12 volt DC. 12 volt DC is used for all the controls.
See page 9-10
Manual
There should be fuse on circuit board.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
You test for 12V at the board that you say you replaced, at the plug that goes into it. My eyebrow board had a display it just would not change settings. Search the iRV2 forums, I had a fairly complete troubleshooting guide but I got banned for mentioning Florida's Concealed Weapons program, and no I'm not kidding so I cannot look there.
But don't keep working on this the Navy way, replace parts until it works.

It might be here: Troubleshooting
Superbumper

bradyfehr
Explorer
Explorer
no light on eye board. 120v outlet works but everything on frig is dead. Don't know where to test for12v. don't know how to test thermistor or even if that part matters

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Does your eyebrow light up?
Do you have 12 volts DC to back of refer?
Quit throwing parts at it!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

bradyfehr
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks guys but the manual is of no use because I'm not getting anything. I need to be able to troubleshoot at the board level. Already replaced the power board, guess I'll just replace the eye board and thermistor.

I was hoping to be able to find a way to test the power board to see if both the new and old are good and the Thermistor. I'm a poor person so buying boards takes food off my plate, lol

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Operational Requirements starts at pg 15
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
There are two circuit boards, the one outside inside the access panel and the second one, the eyebrow panel on the front of the fridge where the controls are. I put up a trouble shooting step by step but I'll have to try to find it.

We ended up replacing the eyebrow on ours.
Superbumper

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Does it have 12 volts DC?
Does the eye brow light up?

Bud
USAF Retired