cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What is leaking? Dometic RM1350 4 door fridge

Byrogie
Explorer
Explorer
What is this and where is it coming from?
Sticky, no odor, right side only
Nothing in rear compartment, upper or lower. Fridge operates normally.
RV tech hasn't seen this before. Trying to get extended warranty to approve pull out. They say prove it's coming from the fridge.

13 REPLIES 13

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
You state that the refer is in a slide. That means instead of a ROOF VENT, you have an upper sidewall vent DOOR. SOMEBODY when the RV was washed could have sprayed cleaning soap and water thru that door and THAT liquid could get on top the refer. Doug

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Byrogie wrote:
Fridge is in a slide.
The top is dry and dusty, dark spots are from feeling around with fingers, rubbing, tapping etc.
No foreign substances or moisture on
the top. There is that dip though which I wouldnโ€™t expect with solid foam.
The gunk is coming from inside the fridge.

I know you think so. But, there is NOTHING that Dometic uses that resembles any liquid. That liquid had to come from the OEM builder of the RV, or from somebody that has worked and pulled the refer previously. I have over 44 years as a RV tech and have pulled thousands of refers. NEVER have any had any liquid type substance on them at all. They are spray foam blocks with a silver foil type cover. NO sealants of any kind. The only liquid sealant is the Thermal Mastic which is BEHIND the lower side evap coils, not close to on top. Doug

Byrogie
Explorer
Explorer
Fridge is in a slide.
The top is dry and dusty, dark spots are from feeling around with fingers, rubbing, tapping etc.
No foreign substances or moisture on
the top. There is that dip though which I wouldnโ€™t expect with solid foam.
The gunk is coming from inside the fridge.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
The insulation foam does NOI melt. What you just posted is something that was dripping from above. Is there a cabinet above the refer? Doug

Roger10378
Explorer II
Explorer II
It looks like something is dripping on the top from above. I would be checking the vent cover and roof in that area.
2005 Cardinal 30TS
2007 Chevy 2500HD D/A

Byrogie
Explorer
Explorer
UPDATE:
So we pulled the fridge. This is a pic of the top above the right side.
No foreign substance visible.
Hard to see but there is a dip there. What's underneath? Tapping it seems like a hard foam type insulation. Is it melting?
Anyway, the tech is going up the ladder with warranty, and calling Dometic as well.

Byrogie
Explorer
Explorer
Will do

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
If/when you find out what it is, don't forget to come back and let us know what it is, seems we are as confused as you are. ๐Ÿ˜‰
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

Byrogie
Explorer
Explorer
Thx for the info.
Will get it pulled out, and see what's going on

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Remember, The ESC company wants PROOF. BUT, YOU are expected to pay regardless if the ESC pays for anything. I have worked on RV's for 44 years. Dometic and Norcold and all brands of RV refers. There is NOTHING in your Dometic that will cause that type of leakage. There will be evidence of what it is once the refer is pulled, but odds are it will be something the OEM used when the RV was built. I also have never seen anything like this. Doug

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Remember, The ESC company wants PROOF. BUT, YOU are expected to pay regardless if the ESC pays for anything. I have worked on RV's for 44 years. Dometic and Norcold and all brands of RV refers. There is NOTHING in your Dometic that will cause that type of leakage. There will be evidence of what it is once the refer is pulled, but odds are it will be something the OEM used when the RV was built. I also have never seen anything like this. Doug

Byrogie
Explorer
Explorer
I meant the right side of the freezer. The picture is only the right side

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
Initial glance, I thought your door seal is bad, but you say it's sticky, so that's not normally a seal,doesn't look like just the right side, looks like all the way across the top.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund