cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Wheels!

msmith1199
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Class C motorhome on the Ford E-450 chassis. The wheels that it came with have hubcaps on them. The caps are full size and cover the entire rim. There are several problems with this. One is itโ€™s hard to get to the air valves to add or check air. But the main problem is they make noise! The last trip I took the front ones off and put them in a storage compartment and that solved a lot of the problem, but the rear ones still vibrated and made a lot of noise depending on the road conditions. I would have taken them off too but I didnโ€™t have storage space for them.

So Iโ€™m looking for solutions. One being just take them off and leave them home, which is an option, but that leaves ugly looking rims and lug nuts all exposed. The rims are white so itโ€™s not a bad option. Another option is buy four steel rims of the same size that are chrome and get chrome lug nuts. The inside rear dual donโ€™t need to be chrome. I donโ€™t know how much this option would cost. Anybody done anything different?

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

12 REPLIES 12

jjrbus
Explorer
Explorer
I do not care for wheel covers. Loose lug nuts will show rust, wheel covers hide that! Hammered paint is a great choice for wheels and hides all the dings. Playing cards can be used to mask off wheel for painting, bit of tape on the valve stem. Does not have to be perfect, it is only a wheel and most people do not closely inspect your wheels!

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Itโ€™s not technically difficult, just a little time consuming.
Remove wheels
clean well
remove all wheel weights (you can mark location on the tires to replace in the same location) scuff/sand entire surfaces to be painted
Carefully mask off the tires for overspray
Quality epoxy or etching primer on any bare metal surfaces unless youโ€™re using a quality chassis paint that has bare metal adhesion properties. (But generally wonโ€™t have as good of UV resistance). Should use a quality Urethane Enamel
Any touch up sanding or prep needed.
Couple 2,3 coats of paint
Watch paint dry
Replace wheel weights or get re-balanced.
Done!

Depends how long you want the paint to last. You may get several good years out of quality rattle can paint, especially if the rv is protected from the sun more than itโ€™s out in the world.
But assuming youโ€™re not setup to paint with a paint gun, you can buy better quality spray cans from autobody suppliers. They will be very expensive for what they are but cheaper than a gun and compressor for a one time, small quantity like a set of wheels.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

msmith1199
Explorer
Explorer
RetiredRealtorRick wrote:
Take 'em off and spray paint your wheels silver. See if you can buy snap-on chrome lug caps to finish the look.

Iโ€™ve thought about that too. I saw a post on Facebook where a guy painted his shiny black. They looked good, but he also looked like he knew what he was doing. Iโ€™m not convinced I do! I guess if I screwed up the paint job I could always put the wheel covers back on.

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
Take 'em off and spray paint your wheels silver. See if you can buy snap-on chrome lug caps to finish the look.
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Hubcaps serve a purpose.. They make it easier believe it or not to change a flat.

True story Two big burly Michigan State Police troopers came in holding a 4-Way lug wrench to complain the lug nuts were so rusted they could not get 'em loose.
I had them sit Radio while I took the wrench and loosened the nuts.. The Wrench was a bit... twisted.. but the nuts came loose... (Those troopers suddenly had a lot of respect for their dispatcher for some reason)

NO I'm not that strong.. I just know how to throw my weight around.

Hubcaps prevent rust on the lug nuts.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Horseshoe shaped valve stems are used on the outer wheels.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

msmith1199
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
Installation of rigid valve stems would a less expensive way of fixing. Valve stems come in various angles to ease checking and filling air.

Only the inner duals have valve extenders and they are the easiest to get to with the wheel covers on. The holes in the wheel covers make it hard to get to the other valve stems. I guess I could replace them with longer valve stems, but the main issue Iโ€™m trying to resolve in the noise these things make. I could live with the air issue.

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

msmith1199
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
How about a set of stainless-steel wheel liners?
Wheel liners

That is what is on it now. Thatโ€™s what Iโ€™m trying to get rid of..

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
I sold 3 of the original 4 after one flew off during a trip.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Installation of rigid valve stems would a less expensive way of fixing. Valve stems come in various angles to ease checking and filling air.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would live with it or store the caps.... until it is time for new tires and get new aluminum wheels at that time.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
How about a set of stainless-steel wheel liners?
Wheel liners

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow