cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Yet another AGM question

Housted
Explorer III
Explorer III
So I got two Universal 6v 200 AH Golf Cart Deep Cycle AGM Sealed Battery UBGC2 yesterday and have a couple of questions. I have 450 watts of solar and the controller (Renogy Adventurer) has a setting for sealed batteries, so I think I am ok there. My 5er uses a PD9200 series converter with charge wizard, am I ok there? I usually leave the 5er plugged in to shore power full time and of course the solar charges during the day. Am I ok with this setup??

Thanks,
Housted
2019 Forrest River Forrester 3051S 2014 Honda CRV toad.
1000 W Solar, converted to 50 amp
400 Amps of LiFePO4,3000 Watt Inverter, Refer converted with JC refrigeration unit, Sofa replaced with 2 swivel chairs, over cab bed converted to TV mount and storage
12 REPLIES 12

CJW8
Explorer
Explorer
I have 500 watts on a 30A controller, never been a problem.
2003 Forest River Sierra M-37SP Toy Hauler- Traded in
2015 Keystone Raptor 332TS 5th wheel toy Hauler (sold)
2004 Winnebago Vectra. 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee toad

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
X2, but a switch would be desirable, depending on what charge controller is used. Just make sure it is DC rated.

2oldman wrote:
..not that anyone needs fused panels.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
..not that anyone needs fused panels.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
You are good... The 9200 is specific programmed for flooded wet but the difference is so small you likely won't notice the difference.Nor will your batteries..

On the 9200 the wiz is built in.. On my 9100. Plugged in.. Both work the same.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Housted
Explorer III
Explorer III
red31 wrote:
Yes, if the adventurer came with remote sensors, use both.

450 watts exceeds the 400 watt spec on the back of the controller.
how does this controller handle over power input?

Spoke to Renogy before I added the third panel giving me 450 watts.
I have a 30 amp fuse in the circuit from the panels. They said I would be fine since the panels are flat on the roof and I have never seen near the 30 amps of the fuse.

Thanks for the concern....

Housted
2019 Forrest River Forrester 3051S 2014 Honda CRV toad.
1000 W Solar, converted to 50 amp
400 Amps of LiFePO4,3000 Watt Inverter, Refer converted with JC refrigeration unit, Sofa replaced with 2 swivel chairs, over cab bed converted to TV mount and storage

babock
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
You'll only test the controller's wattage limit if you solely rely on the panels to recharge depleted batteries. This is certainly not a recommendation to do so merely an explanation as to why it has not been an issue up to now.
Also, unless the panels are aimed perfectly, you won't get the rated watts.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
WindyNation warned me not to exceed 30 amps wirh my controller. I am complying.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
You'll only test the controller's wattage limit if you solely rely on the panels to recharge depleted batteries. This is certainly not a recommendation to do so merely an explanation as to why it has not been an issue up to now.

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
It really is pretty hard to damage a good AGM battery if you are using reasonably good equipment, which it appears that you are.

An AGM can benefit from a slightly higher charging voltage.....but does not NEED IT to perform at least as good or a bit better than a wet cell.

In my opinion, you are FINE and obsessing over the details accomplishes nothing very useful.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

red31
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, if the adventurer came with remote sensors, use both.

450 watts exceeds the 400 watt spec on the back of the controller.
how does this controller handle over power input?

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
You'll have to find the manual on the PD and see what the charge settings are.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

Go to the Battery maker's site and find out the charging parameters. Follow them carefully.

Does the solar charge controller have temperature compensation? If not then I'd upgrade it.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.