cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ford f150 Payload

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II

Looking at F-150 to carry the Lance at 2750 dry.  Sold my 2500HD, and need a short truck to fit in my garage.  So, looked at GM 1500's, and payload says 1800-2200 lbs ... I thinking based on equipment and truck weight.  So, it cannot haul that camper (Yeah, I knew that already pretty much) ... but GM does not offer a 2500 with regular cab and short bed -   I thought if I beefed the suspension up it might work for the short trips we take now - and only a few days local.    Probably not.

Someone here said F-150 hauls more -- so I'm looking at Ford site and it says F-150 payload 3375 ... that's a lot for a 150/1500 pickup.  But when I go to find on on a search, I find highest payload at 2470 ...  I know payload is based on some equipment options and weight, etc,.,  But a F150 at 3375??? I find that hard to believe.  I've always been a GM guy so don't know much about Ford - any of you Ford guys know if that payload is true I don't want to go to a 250 because it will not fit in the garage, and I'm in a community so cannot just add-on to the garage, which I would otherwise do -- just build a port and wall, and park, I just want it out of the weather.  Is that some special order high-payload or something.  I can't even build it on the Ford site.

Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Based upon my knowledge from when I was shopping for trucks 3 years ago; you could order a regular cab F150 XL 4X4 with the Heavy Duty Payload Package (HDPP), 18 inch wheels, and 8-foot bed. That would get you 4800 lbs rear GAWR and about 3000 lbs payload. You will likely exceed both ratings by about 250 lbs +/-; 4X2 will give you about 200 lbs more payload. That is as close as you will get to what you want in a 1/2 ton truck.

View solution in original post

Thx Grit-dog.. YEAH, I'm already going in a different direction ...  It looked like the truck were getting more Payload, but as it turns out the specs were calling out specific other options, but exaggerating the potential as usual.  I've been around truck campers a lot of years. That's why I do my homework first, and buy a truck second once I figure it out.  

Monkey44
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845

View solution in original post

27 REPLIES 27

2024 Chevy 2500HD sitting in my driveway today.  Dealer tried a little fudging once I got there, but I stayed solid on what they sent before I drove to Miami (250 Miles) to pick it up.  But I stuck with the deal and we got it corrected.  I can't figure out how to add a photo here??? It wants a source, which is in my computer but the source won't copy???  Does it require the photo to be on a website??? 

One aside for you all that buy new trucks.  Dealer would not let me leave without insurance change-over.  When I called Hartford - it said "We do not insure commercial trucks - 2500HD - but I already had my 2500HD insured with them.  Harford said they changed policy several years ago and do not insure 2500HD - or equals - although I was looking at my Hartford policy that stated 2015 2500HD dated Feb 2023.   I had to find a different insurance company at 6:30 PM, 250 miles from home and they had already taken title to the trade and I had the title to the new truck.  Dealer refused my the new keys until I bought a completely new insurance policy from a company they recommended for more money than my choice of company.  SO, I did it, paid a month, and drove home, and two days later cancelled it (with some crabbing from the company) and added my policy to the existing home policy with my other vehicles ...  So, if anyone one of you all it buying a new truck, make sure you verify the insurance with your provider and carry proof with you ... I was a nightmare I didn't need at the last minute so far from home.  

Monkey44
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845

Thatโ€™s a Flo Rida thing. The state of Florida is car insurance Nazis. 
My son has had similar but different issues since he began insuring his car down there. 
on the upside, FL likely has less uninsured drivers than other states but itโ€™s a real pain in the ___. AND you cannot โ€œstoreโ€ a registered vehicle without ins unless you surrender the plates. 
Never bought a car down there, but from your experience it appears FL must not have an insurance grace period for new (or used?) purchases. 
Does your new 3/4t have a > 10k lb gvw? That may have been the trigger with your current ins co. 

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog ... I bought an almost identical 2500HD ... just some upgrades that come on newer trucks. And, went from a 6.0L gasser w/4:10 to a 6.6L gasser w/373 ... Allison 10 Sp...  and Wrangler 20" 275 E-tires. Hartford said it never insures 2500HD because Florida considers it a commercial level vehicle. I was looking at my Hartford insurance policy dated 2023 June that had my 2015 2500HD insured, along with our 2022 Blazer. So we cancelled both and went with USAA.  Slightly more $$$ with a few more items covered.  Insurance companies are getting to resemble the standard reputation of car dealers, especially used car dealers.  

Monkey44
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845

Yes, it does have a weight limit that stops as personal vehicles 150/1500.  BUT, Hartford insured my 2500HD from Jan 2023 until I traded it in, but refused this new one.  It said they never insure 2500's but I was looking at my insurance and right on it listed my trade-in 2500HD and Florida has a fifteen day grace period for changing over to a new (or used) vehicle when you buy it.  SO Hartford was mistaken - then, because they would not insure the 2024 HD, they wanted to back charge me $300 because we then only had one vehicle and did not get the multiple car discount.  I said, "Let me get this right, Hartford made a mistake, and Hartford is now trying to charge me for that mistake." She said, yes that's right."  I said, "Nope, it isn't."  And cancelled my insurance with them the next day, for both both vehicles.  We bought a different insurance immediately.  So, instead of charging me $300, Hartford had to refund $384 ...   So,  FK them.   Yes, Florida insurance is a rip-off and a nightmare every year -- we often shop new insurance each time it renews.  But we live here so have to deal with it ...   Got my new truck tho, and for no higher fee than the policy we cancelled.

Monkey44
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845

Hey Monkey it's actually pretty easy to add a picture.  First thing to try if you have a windows computer is just right click on your picture and select copy. Then in your posting just click in the message box and click paste. Give it a few seconds and the picture should appear.

Alternatively you can start a reply and then click on the camera button and wither browse for your picture or drag and drop it. Hopefully that helps.

opnspaces_1-1703453049402.png

2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

Yeah, I'm looking at 2500HD at the moment.  Should have known it before I started, actually, did know it, just forced myself to look lighter.   ๐Ÿ˜ž     Not liking the cost, but RV's, like boats, act sorta like a hole we toss money into in order to have fun doing it.  ๐Ÿ™‚   

Monkey44
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II

In order to adequately answer your question, we need to know what size truck will fit in your garage. We donโ€™t know if your limitation is height, width, length, combination of all of these, or what. 
I would also point out that the response in the preceding post โ€œvirtually all of the TCโ€™s weight will sit on the rear axleโ€ is patently false in my opinion. I would guess that at least 10% of the weight will be on the front axle (depending on how the TC is built and loaded). That is not โ€œvirtually allโ€ in my lexicon (YOMV).

I tried to find a single cab short bed GM, but it's not built in a 2500 anymore, only 1500.  Looked at Ford, same thing.  I sold my 2500HD Dbl Cab SB because it's too big.  Should have researched first, but didn't - my own fault.  Now am trying to figure out how to resolve it.  The only GM with single cab 2500 is LB, which camper won't fit, and is almost as long as the Dbl Cab.  I mostly want to get away from the Dbl Cab models, and just go with a single cab short bed 4x4.   Seems like Mfgs are getting away from trucks, and into family level vehicles with a bed.   I don't like them particularly, and my family is grown, gone, and only me camping, sometimes wife sometimes not.  For the cost,  Dbl Cab and Crew cab are a waste of money and space for me today, especially if no kids. 

I've been truck camping all over this country for over twenty years - I want to shrink the truck. But buying both a new truck and a lighter camper is not on the table.  At one time maybe, but at today's costs, not happening. Camper is Lance 845 and in great shape, under cover most of its life..   I'm just trying to investigate my options before I make a choice.   The 2024 Sierra 1500 will care 2200 lbs -- camper dry is 2750. -- 3000 wet --  I'm also looking at beefing up the suspension as a possibility, it's not that much difference, but also do not want to run at the max either.   I would beef up the tires to 10 play for sure, and add helper springs - heavier shocks front  and rear - just not sure that's enough.  I travel short distances now - 300-400 miles, not cross country - and live in Florida - no mountains.  It's a dilemma I created for myself - am looking for some experienced info here, which is the best place to get it.  Not sure what I can do with rear axle and bearings ???

Monkey44
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845

You need to re-think your plan. 
A.  A 3klb TC in any half ton, much less a rcsb truck (rare but you could probably order one. Definitely not with a heavy payload option though, even though a heavy half is still too light duty) is basically a non starter. 
B.  No mfg has ever made a rcsb 3/4 or 1 ton. So itโ€™s not just that one isnโ€™t made โ€œnow.โ€  
C. If your only reason for getting a short bed is due to a camper that is supposedly short bed only, you can put it in a long bed and block it back far enough for the overhang to clear. And youโ€™ll have extra storage space up front. 

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Thx Grit-dog.. YEAH, I'm already going in a different direction ...  It looked like the truck were getting more Payload, but as it turns out the specs were calling out specific other options, but exaggerating the potential as usual.  I've been around truck campers a lot of years. That's why I do my homework first, and buy a truck second once I figure it out.  

Monkey44
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845

Based upon my knowledge from when I was shopping for trucks 3 years ago; you could order a regular cab F150 XL 4X4 with the Heavy Duty Payload Package (HDPP), 18 inch wheels, and 8-foot bed. That would get you 4800 lbs rear GAWR and about 3000 lbs payload. You will likely exceed both ratings by about 250 lbs +/-; 4X2 will give you about 200 lbs more payload. That is as close as you will get to what you want in a 1/2 ton truck.

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad

If the Lance is 2750 dry, its actual weight will be over 3000.  Virtually all of a TC's weight will sit on the rear axle.  I doubt there is an F150 in any payload configuration, especially a short bed, that can carry 3000 pounds on the rear axle without grossly overloading it.  The only possible exception would be the 7850 GVWR version, which is only available in a long bed, regular cab configuration-about the same length as a short bed extended cab truck which is available in a HD model.

2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

Cybergrunt
Nomad
Nomad

Ford has (had?) a Heavy Duty Payload option for F-150s. It is comprised of 3.73-geared electronic-locking rear axle, 9.75-inch gearset, 36-gallon fuel tank (except XL regular cab models), LT265/70R18C OWL all-terrain tires, upgraded springs, and unique 18-inch silver-painted aluminum wheels.

This link might help you peel back the numbers and the HD option: https://fordauthority.com/2021/06/heres-what-the-heavy-duty-payload-package-does-for-the-2021-ford-f...

2021 Forest River Wildwood Heritage Glen 24RLHL: 810-825# TW, ~7500# GVW
2020 F-250 XLT Super Duty SRW: 7.3 V8 gasser, 3.55, 10spd