cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

I'm curious to know what you would do?

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
I am replacing my 2022 F350 Platinum with 26000 miles. I can replace it with an identical truck .... 9 months newer and 1/2 the mileage for $4000 difference .... or, for $14,500 (CAD) difference I can pick up a new 2023 high output Platinum that I ordered months ago that has finally come in.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5
91 REPLIES 91

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
nickthehunter wrote:
4x4ord wrote:
^^^How old is your current one? Iโ€™m not wanting you to put yourself in my shoes. Iโ€™m wanting to understand how others will view a sudden huge price increase from one year to the next. So I want to know if you were going to be buying a truck now would want to avoid the 2023 on account of the huge price increase or do the upgrades justify the cost in your way of thinking.
I guess Iโ€™m not qualified to answer your question because even if I was going to buy a โ€œnewโ€ truck today, the one Iโ€™d buy would be at least 3 or 4 years old ( or as in the case of my current truck - I get a fire sale, moving out of the country tomorrow, smokin hot deal).

I like the "get a smokin hot deal" idea .... do they only come by once every 20 years? It would be great if you could take advantage of more of those smokiin hot deals.
B&W Companion

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
JaxDad wrote:
4x4ord wrote:
.... 9 months newer and 1/2 the mileage for $4000 difference .... or, for $14,500 (CAD) difference I can pick up a new 2023 high output Platinum that I ordered months ago that has finally come in.

Have you considered whatโ€™s behind door number 3 also?

Assign the sale of your preordered โ€˜23 for current market price and end up with the โ€˜22 for free, possibly with cash in hand to boot.

I have considered the possibility of a door number 3. It would be similar to what you're suggesting but would likely look more like take delivery of the '23 now and if I'm not happy with it after running it for 6 months or so I could sell it and buy a '22.
B&W Companion

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
4x4ord wrote:
^^^How old is your current one? Iโ€™m not wanting you to put yourself in my shoes. Iโ€™m wanting to understand how others will view a sudden huge price increase from one year to the next. So I want to know if you were going to be buying a truck now would want to avoid the 2023 on account of the huge price increase or do the upgrades justify the cost in your way of thinking.
I guess Iโ€™m not qualified to answer your question because even if I was going to buy a โ€œnewโ€ truck today, the one Iโ€™d buy would be at least 3 or 4 years old ( or as in the case of my current truck - I get a fire sale, moving out of the country tomorrow, smokin hot deal).

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
B&W Companion

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
MitchF150 wrote:
wowens79 wrote:
I'd keep the one you have and drive it until it hits 250k miles. My last truck I drove for 20 years and 268k miles. Never any internal engine or trans issues.
As long as it stays reliable, I'd rather put the money in a camper, boat, or invest.

That's what I was thinking too. ๐Ÿ™‚
It wasnโ€™t 1 of the choices but the question was โ€œwhat would you doโ€. And thatโ€™s exactly what I would do - drive the current one about another 20 years.

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
You ordered a 2023 for a reason. You wonโ€™t be happy with buying the used 2022. Get the 2023.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
The MSRP of a 2023 F350 Platinum HO in Canada is about 20k over what it was for a 2022 F350 Platinum Powerstroke. Iโ€™m wondering how many people see that kind of value in the updated truck. So my question probably should have been: โ€œIf YOU were looking at replacing your current truck with a new to you Powerstroke and you found two slightly used F350 Platinums, one is a 2022 the other a 2023. How much more would YOU be willing to pay for the HO 2023?โ€ For only $10k more would you jump at the 2023?
B&W Companion

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
wowens79 wrote:
I'd keep the one you have and drive it until it hits 250k miles. My last truck I drove for 20 years and 268k miles. Never any internal engine or trans issues.
As long as it stays reliable, I'd rather put the money in a camper, boat, or invest.

That's what I was thinking too. ๐Ÿ™‚
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
I would take the new truck, gaining a year of trade-in value for the next new truck. That will cut the 4k 14k difference in half, when the time comes to move up again.

Someone on a tight budget, may think differently, but I don't think that is the case for either of us.

Jerry

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
If it were me, I'd keep my barely broken-in truck and put the money toward upgrading my 16-year old trailer . . . but of course, that's just me.
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

shelbyfv
Explorer
Explorer
Agree. Check the new one carefully and move forward with what you really want. It's only $10K US.

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would drive the HO and make a decision.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
4x4ord wrote:
.... 9 months newer and 1/2 the mileage for $4000 difference .... or, for $14,500 (CAD) difference I can pick up a new 2023 high output Platinum that I ordered months ago that has finally come in.

Have you considered whatโ€™s behind door number 3 also?

Assign the sale of your preordered โ€˜23 for current market price and end up with the โ€˜22 for free, possibly with cash in hand to boot.

jfritz_drfritz
Explorer
Explorer
Typically the largest depreciation is in the first year, if we assume you drive 26000 miles per year you can still sell it in one year with warranty remaining, also you would get a new truck that is not the first model year of a new design (usually the wanting is better than the having anyways)