cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

I'm curious to know what you would do?

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
I am replacing my 2022 F350 Platinum with 26000 miles. I can replace it with an identical truck .... 9 months newer and 1/2 the mileage for $4000 difference .... or, for $14,500 (CAD) difference I can pick up a new 2023 high output Platinum that I ordered months ago that has finally come in.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5
91 REPLIES 91

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
FishOnOne wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
I look at it this way. I have grown to respect your way of buying the next NEW truck hardly after the first oil change is required. Now to think of you possibly buying a USED truck is just shattering my respect for your style!!! :B

Last week we purchased a "used" 2023 Ram 2500 Hemi with ~9k miles so some more shattered respect. We really didn't need it, but the price was good. My wife (she wrote the check) and I picked it up and drove it to the farm. Rides pretty smooth.

What is this RV Community coming to??? Next thing ya know I will be buying Sailun's.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
For as often as you trade, I think getting a '24 makes the most sense. The '23 your about to get will be in a couple months or since the '24's are already out, it already is, a year old (depends on if your going by calender year). You lose one year's deprecation for a couple months worth of use. I personally try never to get a new vehicle within the last six months of the current model year. Since you trade as often as you do, it would seem to be even more important. I ordered a '24 that is supposedly being built (I do have a VIN number now I guess), assuming it comes in December, I will get a full year's use before I depreciate due to model year. I do the same thing with heavy equipment.
2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
I look at it this way. I have grown to respect your way of buying the next NEW truck hardly after the first oil change is required. Now to think of you possibly buying a USED truck is just shattering my respect for your style!!! :B

Last week we purchased a "used" 2023 Ram 2500 Hemi with ~9k miles so some more shattered respect. We really didn't need it, but the price was good. My wife (she wrote the check) and I picked it up and drove it to the farm. Rides pretty smooth.

I'm beginning to think there's hope for you yet . :B

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cummins12V98 wrote:

'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
^^^ Full disclosure: โ€ฆ.. The dealership has called and they have two of the 2023 Platinums that my brother and I ordered in. His 2022 is 9 months newer and has half the mileage on it compared to mine. He is offered 4k more for his, so it is an option for us to just flip one of the trucks. โ€ฆ. Donโ€™t think thatโ€™s going to happen. We plan on taking them both.
B&W Companion

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
4x4ord wrote:
nickthehunter wrote:
4x4ord wrote:
^^^How old is your current one? Iโ€™m not wanting you to put yourself in my shoes. Iโ€™m wanting to understand how others will view a sudden huge price increase from one year to the next. So I want to know if you were going to be buying a truck now would want to avoid the 2023 on account of the huge price increase or do the upgrades justify the cost in your way of thinking.
I guess Iโ€™m not qualified to answer your question because even if I was going to buy a โ€œnewโ€ truck today, the one Iโ€™d buy would be at least 3 or 4 years old ( or as in the case of my current truck - I get a fire sale, moving out of the country tomorrow, smokin hot deal).

I like the "get a smokin hot deal" idea .... do they only come by once every 20 years? It would be great if you could take advantage of more of those smokiin hot deals.

There are no more "smokin hot deals." People don't underprice what they have because they don't know what it's worth anymore. It's so easy to get a value online and any vehicle dealer will do a free appraisal for you if you're willing to put up with a few cold calls. Even on the off chance you're not tech savvy you know someone who is and ask them to get you a value.

It's the world of the "I know what I have. No lowballers."

If it's being sold cheap, there's something wrong with it that they're not telling you. That or it's stolen. You HAVE to assume that to protect yourself.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Dadoffourgirls
Explorer
Explorer
4x4ord wrote:
There are a number of things that make me less excited about flipping this time.
1. Iโ€™m not getting the kind of discount I got in the past
2. The order coming in at the end of the year is disappointing
3. I really like my 2022
4. My wife likes the massage seats and the dealer opted to delete the massage seats in order to get the order pulled
5. I actually donโ€™t care for many of the changes theyโ€™ve made to the truck.

Your answer comes from number 4 above. Keep the current truck!

After 4, I rank all others supporting 4.
Dad of Four Girls
Wife
Employee of GM, all opinions are my own!
2017 Express Ext 3500 (Code named "BIGGER ED" by daughters)
2011 Jayco Jayflight G2 32BHDS

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Since you asked "what would you do", I'd also be in the Option 3 category - keep what you have. I used to be a new every year/every other year guy. But that was a long time ago. Brand new every year just isn't important to me, especially in current times with high interest rates (assuming you are financing that type of purchase).

If you do go new, I'm curious as to your report of how much seat of the pants difference the HO engine makes over the standard.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

blt2ski
Something I thought of on this. The 23 being as you are getting this when the 24's are already out. You get an extra 20k miles before it will be high mileage! You're at zero miles, as are 24's.
You drive alot of miles per year iirc, that could another benefit vs the used rig with half the miles.
Also based on last post......keep the one you have until a 24 or 25 model has options you want.

As for me, I've got another 3-5 yrs before I'll be ready to trade in the 14.

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
shelbyfv wrote:
Is your price on the 2023 more now than when you ordered it? If not, what is causing you to reconsider?

There are a number of things that make me less excited about flipping this time.
1. Iโ€™m not getting the kind of discount I got in the past
2. The order coming in at the end of the year is disappointing
3. I really like my 2022
4. My wife likes the massage seats and the dealer opted to delete the massage seats in order to get the order pulled
5. I actually donโ€™t care for many of the changes theyโ€™ve made to the truck.
B&W Companion

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
^^^ I think the high trim level โ€˜23s were not shipped to Canada until very recently. Iโ€™ve been told we wonโ€™t see โ€˜24s here for a very long time.
B&W Companion

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
Why are you just now getting a 2023?? I know folks who have already ordered and received 2024s.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

shelbyfv
Explorer
Explorer
Is your price on the 2023 more now than when you ordered it? If not, what is causing you to reconsider?

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
4x4ord wrote:
JaxDad wrote:
4x4ord wrote:
.... 9 months newer and 1/2 the mileage for $4000 difference .... or, for $14,500 (CAD) difference I can pick up a new 2023 high output Platinum that I ordered months ago that has finally come in.

Have you considered whatโ€™s behind door number 3 also?

Assign the sale of your preordered โ€˜23 for current market price and end up with the โ€˜22 for free, possibly with cash in hand to boot.

I have considered the possibility of a door number 3. It would be similar to what you're suggesting but would likely look more like take delivery of the '23 now and if I'm not happy with it after running it for 6 months or so I could sell it and buy a '22.

Yup, same, but different. LOL.