Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Looking at used 2023 Chevy HD 2500, Duramax

solman
Explorer
Explorer
Hello All,
I am looking to replace my 2011 Ford F250 6.2 gas. I don't do a lot of miles but age and corrosion has caught up especially on the underside of the bed and it's probably time. The truck did fine except on steep hills which I don't see a lot of.
I tow a 12000 pound cougar 35 foot fifth wheel trailer.
I came across a used 2023 Chevy 2500HD LTZ with the Duramax diesel. It has 22k miles and has the LTZ trim package and in bed hitch provision. Also has the standard 6&3/4 bed and double cab. I am not stuck on getting a diesel but this deal peaked my interest. Priced at $60,000 and seems to be very clean in and out.
This is on a Chevy new dealer lot and has the powertrain 100k, and bumper to bumper 36000 mile guaranty.
Is this a fair price? My online research seems to say yes.
Having the bed at less than 8 feet I was thinking a slider hitch is in order. The Demco auto slide is probably the way to go. Not much more than the manual type sliders and being an auto slide should prevent possible mishaps.
Any helpful feedback would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Solman
Solman
2011 F-250 6.2L 4x4 3.73 8'bed
2020 Keystone Cougar 5er 315RLS
pullrite 16k hitch
34 REPLIES 34

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
solman wrote:
My Last post on this thread for this deal.
I was told when the truck came on the lot last week that it will be a CPO listed sale.
Well as it turns out it isn't and so I walked away.

Truck was purchased new out west and brought east and registered and titled. This was registered as a commercial vehicle
..Within a month of purchase I carafax has it flagged, listing as no thet true mileage as reported by motor vehicle department. Not sure how this can happen but that's enough for me.
Dealer thought they could straighten out the issue with carfax as being a mistake of some sort, but I guess not.
At this price point it's a no deal for me.
I am not in a rush to purchase as my Ford runs well in the meantime.
The commercial registration may not be a problem. Some states require HD trucks, or trucks over a certain GVWR to be registered commercial. It seems to me that this is more common back east. IMO, it is a brazen money grab for those states
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

solman
Explorer
Explorer
My Last post on this thread for this deal.
I was told when the truck came on the lot last week that it will be a CPO listed sale.
Well as it turns out it isn't and so I walked away.

Truck was purchased new out west and brought east and registered and titled. This was registered as a commercial vehicle
..Within a month of purchase I carafax has it flagged, listing as no thet true mileage as reported by motor vehicle department. Not sure how this can happen but that's enough for me.
Dealer thought they could straighten out the issue with carfax as being a mistake of some sort, but I guess not.
At this price point it's a no deal for me.
I am not in a rush to purchase as my Ford runs well in the meantime.
Solman
pullrite 16k hitch

solman
Explorer
Explorer
Last oil change was at 15000 miles It's now at 22000 miles. I feel it's due for an oil change and possibly fuel filter . A CPO vehicle as I understand it is checked out and receives necessary maintenance before being sold.
Not asking for any more than that.
Solman
pullrite 16k hitch

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
Bottom line, if itโ€™s that new and under warranty, if itโ€™s a lemon/turd itโ€™s been worked on by a dealer(s), so a simple service/repair record will tell you if itโ€™s had problems.
Again, no need to overcomplicate and bicker.
Several times I have taken a vehicle or RV in for warranty work, it is there several days or a couple of weeks. I get a call..."We are unable to replicate the problem." I pick it up and under a close inspection at home find witness marks showing that disassembly and reassembly had occurred. And like magic, the issue is no longer present... Not sure why they do it, but they do, and it won't show up on any online search etc. as officially it never happened.
DW always gets mad, and thinks I should call them on it..I don't bother. Fixed is fixed. I got better things to do than argue about how something got fixed.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2 bathrooms, no waiting
17.5LRH commercial tires

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Whatโ€™s a 22k mile service?
It likely has already had 1 extra oil change and unless it needs another, there is nothing else to service.
IE, since youโ€™re angling for โ€œfreeโ€ stuff, go after something useful. Like free future services or whatever.
PS if theyโ€™re giving you ANYTHING besides a truck for your purchase price, you didnโ€™t get the best price.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

solman
Explorer
Explorer
Carfax shows oil and filter service 3 times and a service is due now. This was done by a local independent and not the dealer. I will insist on a 22k mile service as part of the purchase price.
Solman
pullrite 16k hitch

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
I would run the VIN past the service dept and see what has been done to it. They should give you a print out of all the work that has been done to it. It is still under bumper to bumper warranty so I am sure if it was a problem truck that there would be an easy paper trail to follow.
2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Bottom line, if itโ€™s that new and under warranty, if itโ€™s a lemon/turd itโ€™s been worked on by a dealer(s), so a simple service/repair record will tell you if itโ€™s had problems.
Again, no need to overcomplicate and bicker.

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
You'd be surprised on what I have found on line about vehicles that are for sale.

You just have to put in the time. Most people don't.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Turtle n Peeps wrote:

When I say get the back story, that means do your research on what the history of the vehicle is. NOT ask the sales man. After all, I did say. "And don't take the dealers salesman's word for it."

There are many, many, many online resources I, and others can use to find out the story of the vehicle you are interested in.

Most are free. Some have a small fee to look up if that vehicle is legit, or if it's a builder or a flood vehicle or a lemon return.

Good luck.
That is not what you said on page 1."Always, always, always get the back story. Why is a 2023 with less than 30K for sale? Sometimes it's innocent. Someone old that had unexpected health problems, bla, bla, bla.....

Or it could be a problem child that had nothing but problems and they want to dump it."

How much of that will show up with an online search?

Health issues?nope HIPPA rules
Blah Blah Blah? Nope. Well maybe on Facebook or another social media site if you knew where to look.
Problem child? perhaps. But much of that won't be reported, as others have already attested to.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2 bathrooms, no waiting
17.5LRH commercial tires

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
solman wrote:
Turtle ,the back story is that it was traded for a crew cab. Do I believe it, probably not.
Huntingdog is correct the backstory is always questionable.
GVWR is 11,200 lbs my Ford is 9600 so a lot more capacity.
I am not familiar with the Duramax Maintenance schedule so I thought to make the dealer perform a full service as part of the deal.
I guess oil and filter as well as fuel filters are in order.

When I say get the back story, that means do your research on what the history of the vehicle is. NOT ask the sales man. After all, I did say. "And don't take the dealers salesman's word for it."

There are many, many, many online resources I, and others can use to find out the story of the vehicle you are interested in.

Most are free. Some have a small fee to look up if that vehicle is legit, or if it's a builder or a flood vehicle or a lemon return.

Good luck.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
So far sounds like me and Alberta guy provided a bit of useful info and the rest of you are just arguing amongst yourselvesโ€ฆ.nice work.

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
Huntindog wrote:
joshuajim wrote:
That sure sound like a Trolling question
Not at all. He thru down a challange. I called him on it.

Call it a 'challenge' or just call it a logical response to a stupid question . . . the answer's the same. An honest salesman will tell you what he knows, and nothing more. Certainly only a fool would expect a salesman to know the entire backstory of everything on his lot. If you were buying a house, would you take the word of the seller that everything's perfect, or would common sense dictate that you get an inspection? It's called due diligence. Same thing -- just use a little common sense, which, unfortunately, is not so common any more.
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
For many years I towed fifth wheels using a short bed with a fixed B&W hitch. I really donโ€™t โ€œneedโ€ a slider. I thought if I had a manual slider I would never use it so I advocated for an auto slide for anyone who thought they needed a sliding hitch. Recently I came across a sweat deal on a B&W slider and bought it. It works very slick and I use it a lot more than I though I would.
1. It makes it easy to hook up at an angle to the trailer
2. While hooking up I have clearance to walk behind the truck with the tailgate down
3. It allows me access to my front basement compartment without unhooking.
4. Since going to a slider I adjusted my hitch to tow a little further forward of the trucks rear axle. Iโ€™m not certain โ€ฆ. but I think the trailer tows nicer with the hitch further forward. (Because itโ€™s so easy to slide back for maneuvering I tightened the cab to front nose of the fiver clearance)

Iโ€™d recommend the B&W manual slider even for a long bed truck.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5